You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi organicspot,

the problem is that Affinity Designer is snapping to bounding boxes, object key points and so on, but not to arbitrary points on a curve. So you can’t snap a tangent to a circle at arbitrary circle points, for example. According to the developers, this will be improved soon. In the mean time, there seems to be a workaround for your special case. It seems you can rotate the rounded rectangle against the bar as desired, snap the bar to the rounded edge of the rectangle (engage the object-related snapping options), select both elements and rotate them back. Try it, and you will see …

Hope that works for you …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-47437200-1453025437_thumb.png

• Staff

There will be more improvements to snapping in the future.

As always, it's a balance between complexity and performance.  Our first choice is to prefer performance.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 years later...

1.7 Beta already has a bunch of improved snapping including a brand new tool… Point Transform Tool, which can snap any point to any other, and also rotate / scale at the same time.

Very useful, and versatile - for example…

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

11 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Some odd shapes snapped to the periphery of another odd shape. 1.7.0.11

659897392_ScreenShot2019-05-13at2_21_23PM.thumb.jpg.7c9abe3310e3fcb4796d58c1c8c44122.jpg

Tate gallery entry for sure, I'm seeing the crusade, the masonic lodge and a slice of toast, very deep.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 minutes ago, michacassola said:

I love designing with circles (who doesn't) and would simply like to snap one circle to one or better yet two other circles but not on their points but both somwhere on the curve path. Can't do it in the Beta...

Use the Transform Origin of one circle snapped to the centre of another...

• First snap the circle to be rotated to the top of the circle to be the rotation point.
  • Enable the transform origin and drag it to the centre of the circle to be rotation centre.
  • Drag the circle around the other circle until you find the spot you want.

Simples

Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-20-01-43.png

Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-20-03-35.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 1/16/2016 at 7:04 PM, organicspot said:

Greetings,

I am having trouble snapping shapes to a curve. Is this possible?

(In my screenshot, I am attempting to snap the rotated rectangle to the curve it’s close to, but can’t.)

post-11918-0-38241600-1452971086_thumb.png

Same principle can be used on rounded rectangles.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-20-08-32.png
Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-20-07-01.png

20 minutes ago, michacassola said:

image.thumb.png.75ccc9f9f217fc1bcd865e5ac1ec33a2.png

Thanks, that was very useful, but I cannot snap the selected circle to the big circle where I marked it in red. Any thoughts on that?

What about getting it close then turning on the Alignment handles?

Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-20-26-24.png

Yeah, brings it close. But what I was going for was to be absolutely exact. Now there is some guesswork involved. I don't like that.

P.S.: I would love it if in addition to a ring form there would be the corresponding line segment tool for that, saves me the time to have to split up the generated path.

• Staff

As has been said - there are some improvements to snapping and the new Point Transform Tool.

But - I am very aware that we need to do something more with circles.  We did have a prototype feature that used perfect circles (not Bezier approximations).  This was put on hold util we can refine the UI/UX.  Unfortunately it probably won't be in 1.7.0 due to time constraints.  It might make it in soon.

In a nutshell, we need the concept of true geometry - circles and ellipses.  Else, we are still dealing just in Beziers with all their considerable inaccuracies.  This is actually more of a technical drawing feature, and not so common in illustration.  Te key thing is precision - of geometry and affecting snapping - and that will include the potential for tangents and normals to circles and ellipses (a feature that was in my prototype).

It has not been forgotten.

As for aligning objects to a curve - I can't make any comment.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Thanks @>|<(how do you pronouce that?? :D ) and @Ben,

I look very much forward to "real" circles @Ben! Would you also consider doing something like circle segments (137.5 deg of a circle for example)?

And if you go into that, what would help me very very much is:

image.png.d292fe1293f17dc22ed0d3d0637a274c.png

If you could then use the segments and snap other segments with different angles to the original segment and have a smooth curve by eventually combining them.

• 3 months later...

@michacassola

The pie tool can be used to create a segment of a doughnut like that. The inner orange handle pulls the centre out to create the ring whilst the other one decides the angle. Then you can create many and use the point transform tool to connect them as you've said. Just remember when you are connecting them to move the pivot point onto one of the end points first, then move it into place (all this using the point transform tool), then once it's snapped the the corresponding point on then end, rotate it to make it connect properly. Everything should snap quite nicely :)