You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exclude images from Wireframe in Designer V2 suggestion

Hey there!

I was trying to make the Twitter logo with the new Shape Builder tool to kinda "learn" this tool. As a long-time Affinity user I'm not all that familiar with it of course.
I quickly found that that in my opinion it's the easiest to work with it while using the Wireframe mode. However, it makes the image a square outline of (obviously).

I'd like to make a suggestion where you can disable Wireframe affecting images. This way, it would be way easier to use Wireframe in such instances.

image.png.45640a6c0b25012c112052bb28dded19.pngimage.png.f61235bdedff2e1c36e49dadcdb10da6.png

Windows: Razer Blade 14 (2021) - RTX 3060, Ryzen 9, 16GB RAM
macOS: MacBook Pro 14" (2023) - M2 Max, 32GB RAM

31 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Why not use a semi transparent fill on the vector objects?

This is definitely possible - it's what I resorted to at the end. However, there's no outline then. I can easily add a stroke to it but for larger projects I think adding a stroke + shape with low opacity fill would cost more performance compared to using the Wireframe mode - even when they'd look quite same. Using Wireframe is also easier if you want to add colours to the shapes when working on a shape. If you also have a stroke then, it takes a bit more time to change the colour

Windows: Razer Blade 14 (2021) - RTX 3060, Ryzen 9, 16GB RAM
macOS: MacBook Pro 14" (2023) - M2 Max, 32GB RAM

• 2 months later...

I'd love this too, having worked this way in Illustrator a lot.

As Justin says it's different than working with a semi transparant fill, as seeing the outlines of many vector shapes is helpful. A semi transparant image with all vector shapes having no fill and just a stroke works but this can cause extra work and this is exactly what the wireframe mode should do right?

On 1/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, Ash said:

Have you tried using the new (in V2) X-Ray mode of wireframe view? That shows all objects as slightly transparent (including image / pixel layers)

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 09.31.28.png

Hi Ash, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the X Ray vision doesn't show the underlying image, like it does in Illustrator. Here's a screenshot of my work in X Ray vision, with the underlying image layer turned on:

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-25 om 10.52.47.png

This is the artboard in normal vector mode, with the vector layers of the landscape semi transparent as that's my workflow right now:

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-25 om 10.56.05.png

Edited by GalaxySurfer
Add current workflow "vector mode"

Hi NPM,

That's so weird that it does work for you. I don't think I'm following you regarding the transperancy bg auto set.

Switched off the "Transparant background" setting in the Colour settings, but no difference to me. 

EDIT: now trying to replicate your video in a new file, will update this message.

Ok created a new file, and dropped in the same picture and tried X Ray view, and now it's working, both with transparant background and non-transparant background. No idea what caused it to work now. Checked the original file I'm working in, and can't see any differences apart from a "K only" button appearing in the toolbar on top after selecting the image, which doesn't show up in the new file.

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-25 om 11.53.38.png

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-25 om 11.53.54.png

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-25 om 11.53.42.png

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me :)

Our team have recently identified an issue whereby the X-ray view mode does not correctly display images when using a colour space other than RGB/8 - hence why this is working in the new document above, but the 'K-only' button is not shown, as this isn't applicable to an RGB document.

This is logged with our development team and we hope for this to be resolved shortly - our apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me :)

Our team have recently identified an issue whereby the X-ray view mode does not correctly display images when using a colour space other than RGB/8 - hence why this is working in the new document above, but the 'K-only' button is not shown, as this isn't applicable to an RGB document.

This is logged with our development team and we hope for this to be resolved shortly - our apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime!

Hi Dan, no problem and thanks for looking into this!

Looking at the new document where the background image does show, I do agree with N.P.M. earlier in this thread that it would be nice to be able to modify the transparancy of the background image. Would this be a thing you & the team are considering? Not fully sure if this is opaque enough for me to do convenient tracing. Just my first experience and slight worry on this. Cheers.

• Staff

Of course, no problem at all!

5 minutes ago, GalaxySurfer said:

it would be nice to be able to modify the transparancy of the background image. Would this be a thing you & the team are considering?

Unfortunately there's no option to change the transparency level for this mode currently, but I can certainly see how this could benefit your workflow - so I'll be sure to request this as a future improvement with our devs for you now :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

28 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Of course, no problem at all!

Unfortunately there's no option to change the transparency level for this mode currently, but I can certainly see how this could benefit your workflow - so I'll be sure to request this as a future improvement with our devs for you now :)

That's great Dan! Again awesome you and N.P.M. replied so quickly. Have a nice day 😃