You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v2 New Document > Save …nothing happens.

In all of the apps on iPadOS when you create a new document often within the hamburger menu (3 lines) the option to 'Save' is present, along with 'Save as…'. If you tap 'Save' nothing happens (why should it, it has no idea where this document lives). If you tap 'Save As…' the option to save the file to your chosen location comes up (after the file name, which is maybe backwards in terms of workflow/expectations; Save as {where} and {as filename}.) Either 'Save' shouldn't be available yet, or it should prompt you to select where you want to save it, and what you would like to save it as.

Anyway, this is just one of the bugs I've found in v2 so far (I'll file other topics later). While I'm happy to see a new release, I'm a bit disappointed with it to be honest - probably should have been a 1.5 release, and a beta at that. I'm not sure this release is the 'something big' your marketing department hyped it up to be. It largely feels like a reskinning of the UI (with many of the UI/UX issues remaining) with a few added features (along with Publisher for the iPad - which is nice), and many long requested features (and issues) still going unaddressed.

9 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

If you tap 'Save' nothing happens (why should it, it has no idea where this document lives).

Tapping Save creates a .afxxx file in the default save location based on Preference settings. This will be the Affinity app folder on your iPad or iCloud account. The same behaviour as V1. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

7 hours ago, DM1 said:

Tapping Save creates a .afxxx file in the default save location based on Preference settings. This will be the Affinity app folder on your iPad or iCloud account. The same behaviour as V1. 

Unfortunately this is not what is happening for me. I have my default save location set to iCloud Drive and tapping save does not create an *.afdesign (or Photo or Publisher) file within any Affinity app folder (there are currently no Affinity app folders on my iCloud Drive) on my iCloud Drive. Tapping save with a new file simply does nothing, and it certainly does not save anything to my default save location.

1 hour ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Unfortunately this is not what is happening for me

On further testing after switching to iCloud and restarting the app, created a new file, tapped save and it pops up message ‘saving to ICloud’. Files I had previously created did not save to cloud but may have previously been saved elsewhere.

Have you tried creating a new file and then tapping save?

Some points to check:

If a file has not previously been saved there will not be a save option in Document menu, only Save a copy, if you have a Save option the file has been previously saved  to a folder.

If you change the default location you need to close the app completely and restart before saving works again (this surprised me).

After saving you will now have a Save option in the Document menu which will save back to iCloud folder.

I created a new file (no Save option only Save a copy. Then saved from Home Screen and it saved to iCloud.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 11/11/2022 at 5:33 AM, DM1 said:

On further testing after switching to iCloud and restarting the app, created a new file, tapped save and it pops up message ‘saving to ICloud’. Files I had previously created did not save to cloud but may have previously been saved elsewhere.

Have you tried creating a new file and then tapping save?

Some points to check:

If a file has not previously been saved there will not be a save option in Document menu, only Save a copy, if you have a Save option the file has been previously saved  to a folder.

If you change the default location you need to close the app completely and restart before saving works again (this surprised me).

After saving you will now have a Save option in the Document menu which will save back to iCloud folder.

I created a new file (no Save option only Save a copy. Then saved from Home Screen and it saved to iCloud.

That works (as your video depicts) only if you open a file that has previously been saved to iCloud. With a new document, tapping 'Save' does nothing, only 'Save a copy' will display a dialog asking you what you want to call the document, and where to save it. 

With new documents that have not been saved I still get a 'Save' menu option, in addition to 'Save a Copy'. There's also this weird messaging when I save a file, then go to the 'Live Docs' screen and tap the 'x' to close that file. It throws me the following warning:

" If you close this document now, you will lose any changes you have made to it which you have not already exported or saved. You cannot undo this action."

Which makes it sound like the file hasn't been saved (even though I just saved it) at all, and I'm about to throw away all of my work. It really doesn't instil much confidence. Surely you can add some basic metadata to the open file defining that it has indeed been saved and the save was successful (boolean), when it was saved (datetime stamp), and where it was saved (file path). As it stands you put all of the onus on the user to remember if they've saved it, when they've saved it, and where they've saved it… and then you tell them that they're going to loose any changes that have not been saved? This is stuff that is difficult for humans, but easy for computers.

I also set the 'Default Save Location' preference in Photo to 'On my iPad' closed the app completely, restarted the iPad, opened Photo, set the same preference to 'iCloud drive. Closed the app completely, restarted the iPad (again), opened Photo, and… it made absolutely no difference. With new documents the 'Save' button is still there, and does absolutely nothing. 

Note: For some reason I have NO /Affinity {App}/ folders on my iCloud Drive. They're just not there, and never were. Designer, Photo, Publisher v1 or v2… nothing (I only have v2 apps after I did a fresh install on my iPad). Not sure if this might be causing any issues with the 'Save' to 'iCloud Drive' feature in new documents. Ideally it shouldn't matter, the app should be able to save to iCloud Drive regardless… but I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by Guest
Added note about iCloud Drive folders.

• Staff

Hi @Bryan Rieger

On 11/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Bryan Rieger said:

If you tap 'Save' nothing happens

We are aware of this issue and it has been passed over to the devs for further investigation.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, joedesign said:

I have this exact same issue, running it on iPad (6th Gen/2018), if that helps.

The only way to save is if you "Save a copy" then save over the existing file.

I had the same issue however when I deleted the app to reinstall it, notice the other apps with update status so I reinstalled and now in the right corner of the widget it give you an option to save or save as. 

however I now have new problems.  example my Assets and Styles are empty and it would not allow me to download any of those I created either. Plus the express keys are not working correctly. 

6E73B678-11D3-4FF5-A46B-FA8F39BAA36A.png

Edited by L.A.Garland