You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely Disappointed, Existing Customers must Purchase Affinity V2

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

No! If you've already purchased the v1 apps you'll be able to download and install them again. It's just that they are no longer available for new customers to buy. 

And to add on this: There is a thing called backup...

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

Just now, Artsketch said:

Until next macOS and iPadOS isn't compatible any more

Yes but that has been the risk since the first computer. Not like it would be anything new, so I wonder why people are so surprised by it.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

17 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Yes but that has been the risk since the first computer. Not like it would be anything new, so I wonder why people are so surprised by it.

Yes, but Serif made a big mistake not informing existing users that there would be a 2.0 Version this year without any discount for existing users. Not everybody can be fooled with this 40% nonsense. The reputation damage is much higher than offering symbolic 10-20%.

Serif have been saying for ages that v2 was on it's way, this year, and they have also, always, made it clear that it would have to be paid for. Any idea about discounts for existing users is pure wishful thinking by some people, as Serif have also clearly explained why it is impractical to implement. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

40 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

And to add on this: There is a thing called backup...

Indeed. Save installation files to a USB stick or extenral drive, or upload to the cloud. Although we should appreciate that might be difficult when the sky is falling.

4 hours ago, konbit said:

...and that they'll forever be unavailable on the App Store where I bought them (in case I need to wipe a machine). 

And you're really surprised by the responses to this fleecing of customers?

It literally took me 5 seconds to confirm that it is still possible to download recently purchased apps even if they are not available for sale.

I paid £29.99 for Photo in Dec 2016.  Which I think was v1.4. So, I have have 6 years for free upgrades up to v1.10. If I had Photoshop it would have cost in the region £500 over 6 years. I have spent a lot more than £29.99 on upgrades to Nik Collection. Each time Nik Collection and PhotoLab is upgraded there is a charge of about £65. 

If I don't want v2 I don't have to buy it but I will because at £35.99 it is a bargain and the updates will be free until at least v3 is released. I'll spend  more than that on going to the football and the pub this afternoon. 

No one should expect any company to give free updates forever based  on a single  purchase. That's a recipe to go out of business. You might think you are getting free upgrades from Adobe but you are actually paying for them with subscription model. 

If you buy a car and company bring out a new model you wouldn't expected get  it for  free. The amount of money we are talking to so small - it's cost me less than £5 a year so far - I don't understand what all the fuss is about. 

Also they are a British company, the software suits my needs and I am happy to support them.

32 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

Yes, but Serif made a big mistake not informing existing users that there would be a 2.0 Version this year without any discount for existing users. Not everybody can be fooled with this 40% nonsense. The reputation damage is much higher than offering symbolic 10-20%.

A few people are upset that everyone gets to enjoy a very generous discount.

Generous people are happy that everyone gets to enjoy the same discount.

16 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Any idea about discounts for existing users is pure wishful thinking by some people, as Serif have also clearly explained why it is impractical to implement. 

Are you serious? Have you ever bought software? Giving upgrade possibility is the default for any other software...

Affinity is clearly going against the tradition here, and it is totally understandable that the people don't like it.

I don't understand why many of you pretend that Affinity is a saint for giving 40% discount. That's a normal Black Friday discount that everyone gives in this month. And if the deal is over, then all existing users can upgrade only for full price. This is total opposite of what everybody experienced with other software so far, and it is a very wrong  precedent.

43 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

So, you believe that missing out on an imaginary 10 to 20% discount is worth all this racket? 

1 minute ago, Artsketch said:

They raised the price to fool everybody with 40% and other perpetual discounts.

"Everybody" i.e the 20 or so extremely squeaky wheels on this forum. If they wanted to fool anyone they would be revoking your forum access as damage control yet here you are 48 hours later, spamming the same complaint not understanding that others simply disagree with you.

Just now, NewInBoston said:

"Everybody" i.e the 20 or so extremely squeaky wheels on this forum. If they wanted to fool anyone they would be revoking your forum access as damage control yet here you are 48 hours later, spamming the same complaint not understanding that others simply disagree with you.

He doesn't understand that we have world wide high inflation and ultra high energy costs. Not only Affinity had to rise prices.

5 minutes ago, csadam said:

Are you serious? Have you ever bought software? Giving upgrade possibility is the default for any other software...

Affinity is clearly going against the tradition here, and it is totally understandable that the people don't like it.

I don't understand why many of you pretend that Affinity is a saint for giving 40% discount. That's a normal Black Friday discount that everyone gives in this month. And if the deal is over, then all existing users can upgrade only for full price. This is total opposite of what everybody experienced with other software so far, and it is a very wrong  precedent.

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time repeating the same things that have already been posted several times, that you either can't be bothered to read, or just don't understand! If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

You could have replied with this answer to my post instead of just insulting me. Although when I asked "What are you talking about?" it was a rhetorical question.

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time repeating the same things that have already been posted several times, that you either can't be bothered to read, or just don't understand! If you don't like it, don't buy it!

You don't have to explain anything. The situation is clear. The difference is only how people feel about it.

18 minutes ago, csadam said:

People are not pretending. That's just an insult. Some may not agree with that perspective, it does not mean it is tantamount to a scam. Hence the discussion.

The portion in red, I agree with you fully, but as far as we know nobody has said how they are going to approach upgrades going forward once discount period is ended. If they offer no discount, that's going to illicit a surprise for many who find out too late. My opinion, they should just offer an upgrade path via the Affinity store customers to incentivize people to get off the Apple/MS train anyway because it robs developers of a substantial portion of their profits. Apple/MS store is a great introduction, but the best route is always direct developer to customer.

However, here's the kicker. The reason they may not want to do that is because they're relying on the shops, Apple in particular, to spotlight them, so I suspect we won't see this happen even if the solution is a feasible one. Which we don't know anyway if it is or not. They've said no so far. I think they'd have to review every offsite purchase manually and the cust would have to provide proof of purchase somehow? Some people are not as tech literate to find/provide receipts and so a penalty on that user. Any solution they provide will be a messy one it seems and may impact their future on those shops if they go too astray. Many developers and creators are dependent on the algorithms. The internet is not remotely as free market as it used to be (long discussion), so they have Apple & MS to contend with on the business side.

19 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

Who did not raised the prices in recent year of horrendous inflation? ;)
I'm not defending Sarif, I have many complains, and I think that AD is overpriced, but AP price seems fine even after that 100% rise. 

3 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

The portion in red, I agree with you fully, but as far as we know nobody has said how they are going to approach upgrades going forward once discount period is ended. If they offer no discount, that's going to illicit a surprise for many who find out too late. My opinion, they should just offer an upgrade path via the Affinity store customers to incentivize people to get off the Apple/MS train anyway because it robs developers of a substantial portion of their profits. Apple/MS store is a great introduction, but the best route is always direct developer to customer.

And I fully agree with that.