You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely Disappointed, Existing Customers must Purchase Affinity V2

On 11/10/2022 at 7:21 PM, Hilltop said:

With all due respect, but your position and arguments are ridiculous. Every software upgrade offered by a commercial company comes with a price. You can now purchase the app(s) at a 40% discount and that's quite generous.

Not so fast! I purchased licenses for Photo, Designer and Publisher a year ago for a special offer and paid around 75 EUR. Now, I would have to pay MORE for the upgrade? Seriously? In more than 30 years I have never ever had to pay more for an upgrade than for the original license. That's a strange license policy.

9 hours ago, Mister Mike said:

Yep same boat. Recently purchase. Now annoyed at having to buy again. I purchased direct from affinity so it's easy for them to offer a sweetener. Every other product that has had a paid upgrade path all recognised registered users regardless of "where" they purchased it. Affinity dropped the ball big time.

Yeah, I have trouble with the idea that they don't know who has a license for their product or when it was activated. Like you, I purchased directly from Affinity.

I also have trouble with the, "Sorry we're EOLing the thing we just sold you, but we decided to give a discount to other people on a new version so you should feel happy for them. Oh, and we'll sell it to you at the same price we're selling it to them, but only if you buy it right away, on top of what you just spent, right as it is time to be buying gifts for the holidays. Later, the price will go up. And, no, we aren't telling you when the price will go up."

As much as I'd welcome some appreciation for existing users, I can hardly be mad at Serif.

How much did people think these upgrades would be? I believe the original price was around 60$ per app. And now we have all three apps for Mac, Windows AND iPad for 100$. That's 33$ per app for major upgrade. Come on!

Should I be jealous that new customers get the same 40% discount as me? Why? I myself want more users for Affinity community! The more people here and less people at Adobe the better. 😉

It's been known for years that free upgrades would only be available for all the versions numbered 1.x until version 2 comes out. And I think this is much better approach than the Adobe's way.
You can still be using V1 of all the apps, I guess forever (although without updates and much support I reckon).
But for this bargain price I won't hesitate a second to get the Universal Licence.
And I will keep using V2 with all the upgrades again until V3 comes out in a few years.
And then I will happily pay again for V3.
Seems fair to both customers and developers - they've put a lot of work to make all of these apps as brilliant as they are.

Big thanks to everyone at Serif! 👍🏻🤩🥳

So, in short, some people tell us that they don't want to buy the upgrade because it's not free!

Since this is a ridiculous argument, others tell us that it is abnormal that former users pay the same promotional price during the launch period!

Since this is even more ridiculous, others tell us that they bought the software too recently and that it would be abnormal for them to pay again. Indeed. The question is how recent. It seems to me that I have read that those who are really in this case have received a specific offer. The others are either very old customers, or have not made themselves known to the manufacturer… or simply trolls.

A real customer will usually stay focused on his or her one concern, while a troll, if there is one, will usually fire on all cylinders.

Yes, version 2 is a big improvement. Yes, it is worth the price. Of course, there will be a few imperfections. As usual with Serif, there will be updates. And they will be free.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

11 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

It seems to me that I have read that those who are really in this case have received a specific offer. The others are either very old customers or simply trolls.

Actually, the more likely answer is that you're reading selectively because you want an excuse to insult people. There are plenty of posts here and elsewhere that show the people who have purchased the software recently (go from 90 days, which a purported support message posted on Reddit stated was the upgrade time limit, to 30 days or less which numerous people have posted) either didn't receive an email offer for a discounted upgrade or received a hard no when they asked support about it. 

23 minutes ago, Poor Composition said:

you want an excuse to insult people

Do not reverse the situation by accusing others of your own turpitude.

You would be right that this does not justify the aggressive, insulting, and painful tone you use.

Why don't you show a screen copy of your purchases instead? This will be much more constructive and will lead to a resolution more easily. However, there is no doubt that if this is not true, you will be banned from the forum to the great relief of all of us, so be careful what you do.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

On 11/11/2022 at 1:31 AM, NewInBoston said:

I am on the opposite spectrum and rather perplexed by some of the surprised responses I see about the paid upgrade path. Frankly, I would be shocked if Affinity were able to continue dominating Adobe CC simply by slinging books and art packs. 

I paid for copies of all Affinity apps nearly 7 years ago and was happy to purchase supplemental content to support them.

Like you, I refuse to pay for a subscription model on core workflow tools. The alternative to that (the norm of yesteryear) was pay-per-update. Remember how Adobe used to charge 499.00 every few years?

With Affinity, I think I paid maybe 150.00 for all 3 apps, but was happy to pay for them again for my new Mac when moving from my Windows machine because the cost was so affordable. Since I haven't been charged for an app update in 7 years, and ran out of ways to support Affinity in the shop due to purchasing all books and art packs, V2 was an instant buy.

And honestly 99.00 is a deal, yet again. And it's one time payment, with years of updates to come with new tool. New features like live meshwarping are likely only possible because of an entire engine rewrite. 

I do music production on the side as well and I can tell you that Logix Pro X is free because it's subsidized by the price of their computers, which stop receiving updates to the newest OS every few years - forcing users to upgrade. It surely isn't free. Also Logic rarely releases major updates with ground breaking features. Either way, every other DAW save FL studio charges at least 199 / year for point releases. 

iZotope (one of the most expensive luxury plugin companies) sells dozens of different products as single purchases and bundle for hundreds or even thousands of dollars with expensive semi-yearly releases. What was the cost of the latest Ozone 9 suite? 800 bucks? What was the upgrade path? 400? On something like a 2 year release cycle.

Here is Affinity with a 99.00 upgrade path for all core apps with a track record of several years of major upgrades. Since when did "own your software" mean lifetime updates?  

Anyways, I am delighted. Sorry you are not.

I purchased the suite of applications for full price a few months ago. Not 7 years ago. And now I'm being told that they won't receive any updates or support, that files created on newer versions can't be opened, and that they'll forever be unavailable on the App Store where I bought them (in case I need to wipe a machine). 

And you're really surprised by the responses to this fleecing of customers?

36 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

Do not reverse the situation by accusing others of your own turpitude.

You would be right that this does not justify the aggressive, insulting, and painful tone you use.

Why don't you show a screen copy of your purchases instead? This will be much more constructive and will lead to a resolution more easily. However, there is no doubt that if this is not true, you will be banned from the forum to the great relief of all of us, so be careful what you do.

You straight up came in and accused people of lying with no evidence and called them trolls. There is no reversal, just what you did. that reflects on your character. 

I'm logged in with my Affinity account. I made my purchase on he Affinity website. Affinity has my date of purchase and my order number. I submitted a support request with that information. An Affinity moderator approved my first post in this thread because it was my first post on the forums. If I was lying and going to be banned for it, it would have happened already, not because of a mallicious and baseless accusation from a random guy in the forum.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:21 PM, Hilltop said:

With all due respect, but your position and arguments are ridiculous. Every software upgrade offered by a commercial company comes with a price. You can now purchase the app(s) at a 40% discount and that's quite generous.

Your wrong. I have a professional Digital Audio Workstation. I paid once, I get Life Time Updates Free!

4 hours ago, Artsketch said:

On twitter there was something like next Tuesday, if I'm not wrong

Yeah they didn't say it ends next Tuesday. They are just saying that the sale will definitely still be running next Tuesday in response to someone who was concerend it might end before they get paid. It is just reassuring them that they don't need to worry!

Someone asks: "Any date as to when the limited time offers end? I get paid next Tuesday so wondering if they’ll still be on offer by then?"

Affinity reply: "The sale will certainly run through next Tuesday 😊"

When they say "run through" they mean it will continue beyond Tuesday. They havent said when it will end.

3 hours ago, Poor Composition said:

I don't see it on Twitter and the last thing I saw from them was that they haven't announced the deadline.

That's still the case and the tweet reaffirms that, not contradict it. The tweet doesn't say when the sale will end.

thanks, it even has a sale going on :D

Christmas is coming early here.

https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio/lifetime-free-updates/

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

14 minutes ago, crayons said:

Your wrong. I have a professional Digital Audio Workstation. I paid once, I get Life Time Updates Free!

A non-argument as that was the condition under which you originally purchased DAW. Affinity didn't or doesn't offer such a deal as that would be unsustainable knowing that the apps and customer accounts (including the forums) are being and will for years be continually developed and serviced by a team of software engineers and support staff who need to be paid. 

It’s ridiculous to demand lifetime free updates . the devs keep working on improving the software and should not get rewarded for it by everyone who is benefiting from that work?! why do people not realize that there is a limited amount of customers that can support the devs by purchasing the software once > no new customers anymore / not enough > devs not getting paid for their work sufficiently anymore > Affinity goes bankrupt or switches to subscriptions to get paid again. It‘s the greedy people  who want free upgrades forever who force the subscription models that we dislike so much and make it difficult for alternatives to exist.

Its great the exactly the way it is now and customers should be happy to pay the price for good software so that it can survive and be continually improved (why is this not obvious??). Especially the few devs that offer subscription free pricing should be supported 

4 hours ago, Poor Composition said:

Thanks, I couldn't find that. One week not effectively better for me though. But thanks again for looking it back up and linking it.

If you read this item it says "through Tuesday" which relates to the question asked, it does not say that that is when it will end! I'm sure that elsewhere Patrick Connor did say that the introductory offer would last "several weeks".

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 hours ago, konbit said:

they'll forever be unavailable on the App Store where I bought them (in case I need to wipe a machine). 

No! If you've already purchased the v1 apps you'll be able to download and install them again. It's just that they are no longer available for new customers to buy. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad