You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely Disappointed, Existing Customers must Purchase Affinity V2

25 minutes ago, predick said:

I'm just like what a waste I'd never used Publisher tho.

You might find that it makes a nice work environment even if you're not doing desktop publishing. It gives you the main Designer and Photo functions within one application, which can be very useful. And if you do any text work in Designer, it gives you some nice enhancements (columns, linked text frames, auto-correct, hyperlinks, Find/Replace, etc.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

52 minutes ago, predick said:

Ikr, some of their apps don't sell well so they brought it free gift as the bundle pack.
Actually their price is really worth with the quality apps they've made and much cheaper than the other apps.

I use Publisher for setting up mood/guide boards and creating my own documentation/design systems. It is a nice environment to work in like @walt.farrell said. Master pages with complete grid systems is very handy for creating visual guides. I keep it running when doing other things on the machine and need my notes for inspiration...

13 hours ago, predick said:

Ikr, some of their apps don't sell well so they brought it free gift as the bundle pack.
Actually their price is really worth with the quality apps they've made and much cheaper than the other apps.

Actually, I’m loving Publisher at the moment, apart from a few bugs that need ironing out (in the iPad version). I’m more used to using word processors, which are themselves pretty powerful nowadays, but Publisher is in another league for me. It’s well worth trying, especially if you have it already. Strangely I’ve hardly used Photo and that’s the software I thought I would use most, initially. I’ll find plenty of use for all of them in time, though, I’m sure.

• 1 year later...

I would like to say that I am ok with paying this amount for a major update. V1 to V2 was a great jump and there are many updates and fixes coming for free all the time. The company has to earn somehow. If everybody just bought the first version, there would soon be no income to pay developers to work on any updates!

That would mean no scripting for me or anyone else!😜

Tzvi 9_9

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

Just saw this thread and read the original post. How would anyone expect a company to grow if they did not charge for major new releases? I can't believe anyone would even think this makes sense. There are a few outlier apps that do this, but it is not the norm. You the user can decide if the update price is worth it, there is no gun to your head, you will not be stopped from using V1, you have exactly what you paid for... actually more considering how much Affinity did to update and improve V1. Many additions I thought for sure would be V2 features. This is standard practice. Quark and Corel are not giving away free updates to their software, you pay for version updates while enjoying updates for various things through the life of that specific version. 

Doth not 99% of those within these virtual halls agree that services and wares doth require coin? The lone percent receiveth ceaseless heed, as threads are oft refreshed by the ninety-nine who yet cannot sway that stubborn minority. The solitary percent, in turn, might well ponder, 'Is the labour, the leasing of business grounds, the electric glow, the water's flow, and materials within Nottingham, UK, of aught cost?' If yea, then their grievance holds merit. If nay, then...

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.