You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

remove stroke or edit a style and items disapear when layers dragged

Im test driving this application and am stumped in two areas. one, that I can not remove a stroke on the edge of the vector. there is always an outline. I remove color from outline yet there it is. still visible.

I applied the glass style to a test vector and could find no way to get rid of the white outline. even when I click on "stoke" and set to zero it remains. I can make it FATer but I cant lose it altogether.

in addition Im used to being able to freely create a marquee with lasso tool and control gaussian blur on edges and use that marquee to crop a bitmap. the only way I could find to remove part of an image with was the erase tool and there was no way to edit that tool the way I needed it to be or to strictly control the area I wanted to cut with a faded gaussian blurred edge.

If I am being confusing I can create a couple of images to show what it is I want to be able to do. its possible the lingo in this app is simply not what Im used to and maybe it can be done?

In addition I wanted to move some items in the layers panel up above others but weirdly they disapeared as if they had flattened themselves into the image I tried to drag them above. very strange behavior. 

Thanks for your time.

• Staff

Hi dizeyner,

Select the object you have applied the glass style to, now select the Effects tab or right click the select Layer Effects. Now deselect Outline, this will remove the White stroke from around the object.

With regards to your image selection, have you tried using the Quick Mask Tool. This will allow you to select an area, then apply a Gaussian Blur and create a Masked layer. If you would like to upload an image showing what you would like to do we can take a look, no problem.

Thanks

doh. I didnt realize effects where the "edits" of the style. lol. that works.

as for image...if I take an image and select with the marque and area I want to "crop" I can control the edge of that crop by setting "feather" in fireworks to anything from 1 to 300 pixels. or more. so I can control the blend if you will of the edge of that photo. this is fantastic when you are using two images to blend together. among other things. Not even photoshop allows me to edit am image with this much control on the feather.

I would also create vectors with feathered edges and overlay them to build up color. I might set them to multiply or darken or any of a number of settings to get the effect I want over the image or just between the vectors.

In addition I can paste an image into a vector which might be something akin to  "mask"? but the edges are supremely editable by just clicking a point and reshaping or tweaking the vector. or, I could move the image within the vector shape to reposition what shows.

Sometimes I might take a feathered vector and paste inside another larger vector. in this way I could have a hard edge on one side of the vector why allowing the other side to show the full feather. again this is probably what you mean by masking?

I put together a really rough sample of how I often create an images using vectors and bitmaps...its not the only kinda work I do but its a quick idea of what I mean with feathered edges and such. Hope the image explains what I was asking about--how to do in affinity.

post-25712-0-08431200-1453173265_thumb.png