You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create New Stack using dng raw files does not use new non-destructive raw editing

I was doing some experimenting with exposure blending. I as very interested in seeing just how well the new Luminosity Range Masks work. This has the potential of being much faster and easier that Photoshop if it works as expected.

I selected New Stack (I want to make sure that all images are loaded as layer and aligned). I selected two dng raw files. I want to make sure that I have a full level of non-destructive editing. The new non-destructive raw editing is a much-needed addition. The stack was created with the two dng files. Unfortunately, it appears as if they are not being seen as raw files. They appear to have been converted to pixel layers.

This is a big disappointment.

It has never been advisable to use RAW files for anything but File > Open and File > New Batch Job.

Any other RAW file use (in V1) has used a shortened development process that ignores Develop Assistant settings, and so my recommendation for any other usage has always been to first Develop to TIFF, then Stack, or make a Panorama, or whatever.

With V2, File > Place (in Publisher) has been enhanced, but I still would suggest using manual development of RAW files for other uses such Stacking, Panoramas, etc.

I do not think this is a bug. I think it is just "the way it works". The new function is advertised and documented as working in very specific ways, and I believe it works only in those ways.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

That may be the case, but the idea that it takes a raw file and converts it to some default pixel layer without user input seems somewhat questionable. It should at lease give a warning. Ideally, I would love to see it embed the raw content with the defaults. That allows for editing the raw data to improve image matching.

I am looking at this from a architectural/real-estate view. This would be an amazing time saving feature. That is very important from a business perspective.

Edited by Craig Ozancin