You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can V2 and V1 co-exist on the same machine?

I expect this info is out there but haven't found it yet...

1. Can we install both V1 and V2 suites on the same machine under the same login, and expect them to run? (For those of use who already own v1.)
  2. Can we run the two suites simultaneously? For example, V1 and V2 photo at the same time?

I'm asking with Windows 10+ and MacOS in mind. Haven't used on iOS but, would be interested in hearing about that as well. 

As to "why?", to allow for bug fixes, time to adapt to the new suite, and the ability to collaborate seamlessly with users who have not yet upgraded to V2 (since V1 cannot open V2 files).

I see in the FAQs that StudioLink will not work across the two versions, but that's not exactly the same question.

Edited by Emagineer
typo fix

You can run v1 and v2 at the same time without issues on all three platforms.

You can open v1 documents in v2 but you cannot open v2 documents in v1. However, you can generally copy to the clipboard from v2 and paste into v1 as long as you don't copy any V2-specific features.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

7 hours ago, MikeTO said:

as long as you don't copy any V2-specific features.

You can copy v2-exclusive features like Warp Groups to v1 – at least on Mac – but they will be flattened to curves. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...

Someone questioned why run v1 and v2 at the same time on one computer. I need to do that for the moment until the others that I work with finish upgrading to v2. I have files in v1 that just need for example a date change. If I have both versions for a while I could make that change easily in v1 and it would be available for my team to use until we are all happily on v2 together.