You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection and refine

p_mac

• Staff

Hi @p_mac,
I'm having trouble reproducing this here. What iPad model are you using? Are you working with the Apple Pencil or using the fingers? What document type are you working with RGB8, 16, 32 bit? Any chance you can record the screen while reproducing the issue please? Thanks.

Not sure why I was not getting the overlays on my first try but now I am getting everything working as it should.  I don’t think that I was using a tiff but if I happened to grab one by mistake would that cause a problem.  Also, is there a gesture to ‘deselect’.  I know that there is a deselect in the ‘square box’ in the left top.

• Staff

No, tiff shouldn't cause issues here. I'm afraid there's no other way to deselect besides the Selection menu (the square on top) or using the shortcut cmd+D in case you have a physical keyboard connected. The new Quick Menu also doesn't have this as an option for the buttons unfortunately.

Thanks MEB,  I am still using the first iPad Pro with 1T of memory and I do have a keyboard but often remove the iPad when I am using Photo.  Much more convent when doing fine work.  

Was the removal of the gesture for deselect by design?

• Staff

I believe it was intentional. In V1 we had to switch to the Selections Persona, go to the Commands menu (another tap) and finally tap deselect (three taps). The long-press pop-up was a convenient way to avoid that (reducing it to two steps).

In V2 you no longer have to switch Personas, a tap in the Selection menu plus a second tap in the Deselect command is enough to perform the deselect operation which is basically the same number of taps/steps you would have to perform if the long-press method was still available (first a long press then a tap over the deselect command from the pop-up menu).

The only advantage the long-press/pop-menu had was that it could be invoked from anywhere on the canvas, whereas now you are forced to go to the top menu. If we add this to the Quick Menu in V2 (invoked with a long press or a three finger swipe down) it's a bit better since it can also be invoked from anywhere on screen however the Quick Menu itself is  always displayed in the centre of the screen, so not exactly in-place as in V1, a bit better but still not really that much compared to going to the top of the screen menu...

Anyway this is speculation from my part, without talking with developers I can't guarantee this is indeed by design. I do understand the convenience of having a quick and in-place way to deselect a pixel selection as in V1 though.