You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to customize and save shortcut settings

MatejG

Hi,

Just downloaded the full V2 package on my Mac M1 Mini (Ventura 13.0.1.).
I don't know why, but from the first launch the zoom shortcut is set to the "⌘%". But if I set the shortcuts to Serif default (for zoom in function it is "⌘+"), nothing happens.
I am facing the same issue in Designer and Photo as well.

Is there anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Obrázek 10.11.2022 v 13.34.jpg

Edited by MatejG

The Yield icon next to that one indicates there is a duplicate of this shortcut using the same key combination. I'm not seeing that duplicate when choosing Serif's duplicates but if you mouse over the icon it will tell you what other command is assigned to the same shortcut. Change one of them to something else and the problem should be solved.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

35 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

The Yield icon next to that one indicates there is a duplicate of this shortcut using the same key combination. I'm not seeing that duplicate when choosing Serif's duplicates but if you mouse over the icon it will tell you what other command is assigned to the same shortcut. Change one of them to something else and the problem should be solved.

Cheers

Hey Mike,

You are right. This procedure should normally resolve it. 🙃 BUT as you can see there is a "100%" written below the warning icon which should lead to the shortcut with duplicate key combination. And if you take a look on shortcut called "zoom > 100%", you can see that there is another key combination...anyway, if I change this one to another combination and save the settings, nothing happens. All changes are always lost and shortcuts are set to combinations that I have never used before.. 🧐

Okay, last guess. There's something funny with the Cmd+ and Cmd- if you'r not using an extended shortcut. I deleted them and tried to re-type them but I got Cmd= instead of Cmd+. And Cmd Shift = to get a plus means you actually have to press shift.

But I'd already spent a lot of time customizing my shortcuts in al v2 apps and while I'd saved them to an external file in Publisher in case I ever messed that up I forgot to do that with Designer which I was testing with just now. So at first I thought I'd lost my Cmd+ shortcut entirely because I don't have an extended keyboard. I didn't want to revert to defaults just for this.

But then I just changed it to Cmd= and all is good. The first time I tried it the shortcut didn't seem to zoom in but the second time it worked fine. So you might try deleting Cmd+ and replacing it with Cmd=. Then it wouldn't duplicate the 100% one, which of course it's not duplicating anyway.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 11/14/2022 at 4:18 PM, Gerald Joehri said:

I have the same issue with all three v2's since day one, even I do NOT have the Yield icon. I tried everything, from deleting and overwriting the ⌘! to set to Affinity Default. If i set the Zoom-In to ⌘+, it switches back to ⌘!, or sometimes to ⌘1.

same here. Impossible to make it work. Assigned, quit and restard, nothing is working. The shortcut editor is still showing my the correct key I've chosen but it's not working. Bad bug here!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, Swiss Peter said:

keyboard layout DE CH

Using keyboard shortcuts with the Swiss keyboard layout (and Swiss language & region system preferences, for that matter) on Mac is always a literal p.i.t.a., not just in Affinity apps, but in almost all applications I've been using since… well, System 7 back in the early 1990s…

On 11/18/2022 at 2:45 PM, Swiss Peter said:

But ⌘ + does not work

Since "+" is actually shift-1 on Swiss layout, often "cmd-+" won't work out of the box because we're in fact pressing cmd-shift-1. Some apps do understand cmd-shift-1 as "cmd-+" though. Works for me in Affinity v1.

If you have a keyboard with number pad, then the "cmd-numpad+" may usually work, but some apps may be picky because technically it's not the same "+" key as on the standard keyboard.

So, for what it's worth, sometimes it's easier to just fix these problems "at user's end" by remapping keys or using customized keyboard layouts:

There's the Karabiner app to remap keys on system level (i.e. you can also remap modifier keys to anything you want). So for example, my "+" character is now additionally remapped on my MacBooks as fn-hyphen. Thus pressing cmd-fn-hyphen always works for me in Affinity (and elsewhere) as cmd-+. 

Another option is the Ukelele utility to create custom keyboard layouts. For example, take the CH-DE layout as your starting point, and remap the "+" character to another key on the layout that you probably rarely use, e.g. the "§" key next to "1 +". Save the new keyboard layout into the ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts/ folder and it will be available from the menubar along with the regular CH-DE layout.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Issues here too, on every startup i need to reaply shortcuts. But some still won't work (for example : "show guides si set to ":+)", but i want it to be "cmd+;" as i set it in affinity designer V1. (I've unset the smaller size font wich was bind on it.)

I'll say globally let us do what we want with the shortcuts. We use your softs for many years now, don't try to change our workflow with a "by design" answer i've seen way to many times on these forums. 

Thanks in advance. 

Art Director at Tribu And Co | French web agency - See our work at http://www.tribu-and-co.fr