You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance issues, slowing down entire PC.

nuah a

Same Affinity V1 files which were very smooth back then is now stuttering in V2, moreover when V1 applications stutters it's just the program which crashes. V2 is slowing down my entire computer I can't click out or switch applications or even use my keyboard, the letters on screen appear much later after typing. This wasn't the case for V1 even V1 would slow down or crash but it wouldn't take my PC with it. The files I'm working on are very light there's not many layers or operations in it, yet V2 is struggling to keep up.

I also noticed copy/paste issue in PHOTO V2, layers that I copy from Designer V2 aren't pasting in PHOTO V2 workspace, I get an error that "this object cannot be formatted for PHOTO"
This wasn't the case within the V1 suite.

My computer configuration is:
Windows 10 Professional (Build 19044)
Intel i5-9400F
Nvidia GTX 1660
16GB RAM (8x2, 3000mhz)
240GB SSD (C Drive)
1TB HHD (Media Drives)
Gigabyte H310M S2 2.0

Thanks!

I'm also having severe performance issues. Raw files are extremely slow to open and Affinity 2 locks up and is unusable while other applications are fine. I had no issues in the older version and was actually able to make the same edits more quickly using the old version on a 10 year old machine. When I check the CPU usage and Ram usage for the computer, it is surprisingly low. 

Windows 11 Home

AMD Ryzen 5625U

24 GB Ram

240 GB SSD and 1 TB SSD

Hopefully the bugs get smoothed out as more people start using V2 and reporting issues.

I experienced a slowdown in opening files in Photo 2, and other issues, but disabling a preference solved the issue for me.

Select Edit > Preferences > Performance. Then make sure that 'Enable OpenCL compute acceleration' is unchecked. You'll need to to restart the application for this to take effect.

I've done this in all 3 applications.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-7820HQ
16 GB RAM
512GB SSD

Wish I had a solution! The difference between V1 and V2 for loading a NEF of ca. 28MB is around 5 times slower for V2. It's a shame as the product is so brilliant and such amazing value for money.

I have followed the suggestions above and am using the same settings for V1 and V2, running on the exact same configuration, of course.

Similar problem here, in designer and publisher, when getting into complex designs the whole program start to reacts slow at some point. It seems to me that my entire pc is getting slow but not noticing any increased usage loads in the windows task manager. I compared it with the same files in Affinity 1 Designer and publisher and there is no slowdown there.

I opened another topic but I think this is the same problem so I add my previous report here as well.

I found out that Affinity Designer has a strange cap in the FPS (like stuttering or low FPS) moving objects around. I have a 144hz monitor and in Affinity Designer 2 the FPS seems to be 50 or even lower for example when I'm dragging a circle or even when I'm adjusting the size of a form... It is uncomfortable because it seems as if the whole program is going slow or with spikes, but it is not the case.

This was better in Affinity Designer 1, it was not that snappy, but it was less noticeable than in AD2

image.png.638de9a602d8859e8ff4c6240a38859e.png

I tried changing the Renderer for WARP and turning on and off the Hardware Acceleration (obviously resetting the program in each change) and nothing works, low fps at dragging or moving objects around is still there.

Windows 11 22H2
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
32GB Ram
GPU NVidia 3060Ti

Thanks!

Thank you! In my case I am using Affinity Photo (AP), so not seeing quite the same behaviour as you, I think.

What I have found is that loading the image (NEF of 28MB or so) is not where time is being spent as the I/O to disk is almost 0; it is CPU time which is being spent.

As I mentioned, once the phot has been loaded, and I have panoramas with up to 10 photos, the processing is faster than in V1 for which I am very grateful!

Same issue here in Designer especially, Even working on relatively simple docs it's very slow to respond between interactions, takes 3-5 seconds to select or deselect. I have found that turning compound/grouped elements in raster has improved this but it's not a solution. My PC is not brand new or anything but it's not a potato yet and should still have a fair performance with such files.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:12 AM, Brutal Deluxe said:

This is pretty much unusable. Even without loading in any project my mouse cursor is refreshing at ~1fps! I've tried adjusting all the rendering options under the performance settings and restarting. I'm running a 2070S, 32gb ram and at 1440p 21:9. Please fix this soon :(

Update - I'm not sure if my issues are the same as others (detailed above). I've realised that not using Designer in full screen, even if I expand it so it almost fills the screen, is getting rid of my stuttering issues. Hope this helps someone else until updates and fixes arrive. 

• Staff
On 11/10/2022 at 4:25 PM, bobandstuff said:

Raw files are extremely slow to open and Affinity 2 locks up

Raw files are opening slower because we are applying noise reduction on load as opposed to in the background once it has loaded. This is being fixed. 

The performance of all applications dropped considerably. In Designer there is a delay in the selections and everything gets slow; in Publisher there is also a delay in the selections and, in addition, it is almost impossible to resize the text frames since it does so after several seconds. I've had to continue working with version 1 which has no issues (okay some but no performance issues).

Windows 10

Rayzen 5

Radeon RX 570

Having the same issue where Designer 2.0 is unbearably slow between interactions even in relatively basic documents. It will often take 3 or 4 seconds to do anything, even as simple as selecting different objects. I have no issues with the same files on v1. This issue is making v2 pretty much useless from a production point of view.

Windows 11 22H2
AMD Ryzen 3900XT
80GB Ram
RTX 3090

2 hours ago, mhgd said:

Having the same issue where Designer 2.0 is unbearably slow between interactions even in relatively basic documents. It will often take 3 or 4 seconds to do anything, even as simple as selecting different objects. I have no issues with the same files on v1. This issue is making v2 pretty much useless from a production point of view.

Windows 11 22H2
AMD Ryzen 3900XT
80GB Ram
RTX 3090

Can you see @Serif
Not only in AMD Graphics Card but in Nvidia as well

• 5 weeks later...

Same issues here, significant lower performance. I worked on a new iMac and with V1 there was no problems. Right now I can't even draw a line without a lack of 3 seconds between drawing and showing the line. 

I reinstalled the old version and work with this until they fix somehow in the future. 

Even after the ne update there is still no change. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a few minutes it becomes very slow to select items. Clicking takes a few seconds and is very annoying.
I already changed the performance configuration options for all the possible ones and it doesn't work.
Please fix this, it's very annoying and you lose work time!

• 2 months later...

Die Performance von V2 ist echt eine absolute Katastrophe!

Mit V1 hatte ich die Probleme nicht. Ich bereue den Kauf... .

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

32GB DDR4

Radeon RX 6800XT 16GB

Samsung SSD 980 Pro M.2