You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem Launching photo app, other apps non-responsive so it closes photo

dradept

During startup Affinity Publisher 2 has loaded and showing as non responsive, possibly waiting for me to create a new file, during this time Affinity Photo 2 is trying to load but then shows this error;

Affinity Photo 2

Sorry, there was a problem launching the application.

Another Affinity app is running, but cannot be communicated with. Please ensure the app is up-to-date.

Why do they need to communicate with each other?

I have to restart the apps almost every time, I have now stopped the New File box appearing at startup just to see if this is the issue.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 09.14.15.png

• Staff

Hi @dradept
Please can I just get a bit more info from you about your issue, do you have multiple versions of Affinity Photo  or Publisher installed e.g. from the Affinity and Mac store?
Do you have any other affinity app v1 or v2? 

Which OS are you running?

Can you open Publisher and create a new document? Or does it show a spinning wheel when you open the app? 

• Staff
1 hour ago, EmT said:

Which OS are you running?

Can you open Publisher and create a new document? Or does it show a spinning wheel when you open the app? 

Thanks for that, do you mind just answering the other 2 points also this should help narrow down the issue. 

No boxes or errors etc. appearing.

I have just deleted the 3 V2 apps and reinstalled.

Loading all 3 apps at the same time, publisher is now showing this error as it was the second app to load. Designer is loading without any issues.

Must say they are very slow at loading so if Photo loads and then Publisher tries to load but photo has not yet fully loaded this might be the issue, trying to communicate with an app that is doing something else.

If I click OK it closes that app, if I then reload that app it loads fine and no issues.

• 2 months later...

This is still an issue since the latest update 2.2.0.4.

Actually it is worse now, as it won't allow multiple apps to run together, even after I have started one app successfully and then try to start another app. 

EG. I have Publisher 2 running and opened a file successfully, then I try to open Photo 2, it opens but then get the message;

Sorry, there was a problem launching the application.

Cannot communicate with other Affinity apps. Please ensure the app is up-to-date and that your firewall isn't blocking local network traffic.

The Photo 2 app then closes.

I have tried this 3 times and then it opened and stayed open, this is most annoying and time wasting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Error when apps are first launched showing, prevents apps from opening " (REF: HUB=220) has now been fixed by the developers.
This fix is included in build 2.1.0.1709 (or later) which is already available as a customer beta and will be included in the next release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that the popup message changed from the previous version, it now states ensure that the firewall does not prevent communication on the network.

I have now added all the Affinity apps to the AVG Allowed Apps under their Ransomware Shield.

Have restarted all 3 apps and no errors, will try again on my next reboot and see what happens.

For now though it seems to have solved this issue.

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, dradept said:

Still getting this issue with version 2.1.1

Any news?

The last thing you said was that it was solved. When did it start happening again, and what changed in your system at that time?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/1/2023 at 1:32 PM, walt.farrell said:

The last thing you said was that it was solved. When did it start happening again, and what changed in your system at that time?

Hi Walt,

Yes setting allowed apps in the firewall did seem to sort things out, but it did not last, and is still causing an issue today.

It is impossible to open more than 1 of the 3 apps at a time, cannot load 2 at startup as this would cause the issue.

All 6 apps (beta included) are in the allowed apps list. Not sure what else I can do other than be a little more patient and open apps one at a time with a delay in between.

16 minutes ago, dradept said:

All 6 apps (beta included) are in the allowed apps list.

Can you show us that list?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks. Those options seem related to file access, not to network access, but network access (Firewall) seems to be the issue for the problem you're reporting.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2023 at 12:59 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. Those options seem related to file access, not to network access, but network access (Firewall) seems to be the issue for the problem you're reporting.

Here is the firewall list and settings.

Still occurring after all the updates..

just updating to 2.2 and hoping it will sort it out..

will also try turning off the firewall...

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 12.17.21.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 12.17.32.png

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 12.17.49.png

• 6 months later...

I'm having this problem with Publisher 2 running windows 11. I've added Publisher 2 to AVG's allowed app list and to my windows firewall list. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Anyone have another solution I can try?

Screenshot 2024-03-20 130732.png

46 minutes ago, Juuleas said:

Anyone have another solution I can try?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Please read here for the solution:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!