You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher V2 files not openable in V1

I've been using Affinity Publisher as part of my role in a large mainly volunteer based organisation. We often share files for others to adapt and re-use. It's a big thing to ask all the volunteers to pay for the upgrade, it would be so much better if my colleagues could pay to upgrade as and when they can. But while V2 files can't be opened by the V1 app, we will either all have to stay on V1 or all move to V2. 

Is there any chance that there could be an option in V2 to save files in a V1 compatible format? This would make a huge difference.

My experience with recording software tells me that we should also expect Affinity v2 software to open v1 files, but not vice versa. After all, there were new features added that cannot be interpreted by an app that does not have them.

The best approach would be for you to use v1 for all shared projects where others have yet to update their Affinity software. Another consideration, in general, is that on Macs, some people would also have to buy a new computer to run v2 — unless they use a Mac OS patch to install Catalina or higher.

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

19 minutes ago, TheOtherRoland said:

My experience with recording software tells me that we should also expect Affinity v2 software to open v1 files, but not vice versa. After all, there were new features added that cannot be interpreted by an app that does not have them.

The best approach would be for you to use v1 for all shared projects where others have yet to update their Affinity software. Another consideration, in general, is that on Macs, some people would also have to buy a new computer to run v2 — unless they use a Mac OS patch to install Catalina or higher.

Urgh, I hadn't even thought about people needing to upgrade their computers. Thanks for mentioning that.

47 minutes ago, eoaaeo said:

I am with you. Unbelievable. V2 HAS TO BE OPENED IN V1 cause the 2.0 is still a beta. 

This cannot be true — except in a nightmare.

Affinity would not sell a new software version that cannot open its own documents or requires an earlier version to open them.

I didn't update yet, but whoever has, can you prove this statement wrong?

• Staff

Version 1 cannot open Version 2 files.

We will add a warning to Version 2 in the first patch that will suggest Save As if you need to keep the Version one file accessible to V1 for whatever reason.

Obviously Version 2 can open Version 1 and Version 2 files

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We will add a warning to Version 2 in the first patch that will suggest Save As if you need to keep the Version one file accessible to V1 for whatever reason.

Thank you for confirming. I would have assumed that the alert would have been part of the design — my audio software does that when I try to open an older file version. However, it's good to know that you guys are going to implement it. Users don't always pay attention to such details, especially hobbyists.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, eoaaeo said:

Thanks @Patrick Connor to give me the link to the Affinity V1 Guide link that I know so well after 3 years I am using.

I had completely forgotten that was in my footer (that appears at the bottom of every post I make on the forum!)  thanks for the nudge.

5 minutes ago, eoaaeo said:

I am sorry but i'm really disappointed with this V2.

that's OK you are not alone

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor, thanks to you to be present.

I'm an italian architect 47m, I used since I was 16teen photoshop and Xpress, and for the vector macromedia freehand do you remember?

I start to use AFFINITY since 3 years ago, totally joint to the Affinity Revolution, and I wanna tell you mine feeling with the new UI, and I found many user a bit disappointed.

I know you are a fantastic team and you are doing a dream for all of us user and for that you have all my support and trust.

I just buyed the V2 how I found out basically cause the V1 give me the experience to use it. Don't forget this feeling that all the user had with your software.

I've seen too many company start good and then move on a different company policy. Remember your user as me that give you all the support.

Thanks for answering

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

To confirm, are you saying there is an option in the new V2 Publisher to save a file in a way that makes it accessible to V1 Publisher? If so that would be fantastic!

Just now, HMG said:

To confirm, are you saying there is an option in the new V2 Publisher to save a file in a way that makes it accessible to V1 Publisher?

No there isn't.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, HMG said:

To confirm, are you saying there is an option in the new V2 Publisher to save a file in a way that makes it accessible to V1 Publisher? If so that would be fantastic!

He was explaining that if you open a document created with V1 in Publisher 2, make some changes, then use SAVE AS, giving the revised document a slightly different name, you can close the new document and the V1 version that you opened in Publisher2 will still be available to open again in V1.  Just tried it, and it works.  Naturally, the changes you made in V2 will not be reflected in the original V1 document.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

14 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

This is really terrible and I don't know another program which does this. 

Files without the new features should be compatible to V1, at the very least there should be a possibility to "save as V1".

I like Affinity and purchased V2 right away, but I see that there are some problems (i.e. I had crash in Photo with healing brush or the luminace mask).

Please also post some details about the file structure to make it possible to read a reasonable preview (PNG/JPG) from it. Apparently there is one embedded.

DOCX and other modern XML based formats come to my mind. Even RTF was created in a way to be backwards compatible. You can use the oldest RTF reader and still open a RTF produced by the most modern MS Word.
This works if extensions are marked so they are ignored. I assume Affinity V1 has something like this internally, otherwise the step from V1 to V1.9 would also have caused problems.

I would have thought there'd be something similar to IDML with InDesign, hopefully, something similar may be implemented in a future update, which would be super useful as I occasionally send fully editable Affinity docs to a client that has a windows machine that isn't capable of running V2 - until that time (if it comes?) copy pasting from V2 to a V1 doc is a decent workaround and retains layer names, colours and groups and wot-not, and just flattens unsupported raster stuff and converts unsupported vector stuff to curves.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

5 hours ago, Julian23 said:

otherwise the step from V1 to V1.9 would also have caused problems.

As far as I remember, early versions of v1 also cannot open v1.9+ documents.

6 hours ago, Julian23 said:

I don't know another program which does this. 

Oh, it took Schmadobe many years to make ID files exchangeable via IDML. Have you ever tried to bring content from ID CS5.5 to ID CS3? Been there done that. Luckily I have a buddy who at that time had all CS versions installed and who would run the docs through CS4 for me.

Edited by loukash
partial post that ended up as a duplicate; user error :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

This from the Managing Director

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Good to know! This will definitely impact my workflow.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

1 hour ago, eoaaeo said:

50 pages of Publisher

PDF export?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2