You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove Moire?

Hi,

I'm a wedding photographer and I'm struggling with removing Moire from suits of the groom. A lot of suits will generate moire in my pictures on different places in the photo.

I was hoping that Affinity Photo v2 had some slider to remove irregular Moire patterns from the suits. I've tested two other products and with a slider it is easy to remove Moire: Feature Request! I'm a bit disappointed it is not in V2, as more and more camera's lack the AA filter.

As I'm familiard with Affinity Photo this is my only thing to use another product, but I can't do this editing in different products as this affects my workflow too much.

Is there an easy way to remove this kind of Moire? Any help will be appreciated.
I've tested blurring but I think this is nog a constructive way of removing these moire patterns.

Thanks

Roland

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think the FFT Denoise will work on suit moire, either the stripe wave pattern nor the rainbow effect. The rainbow effect can sometimes be corrected using a colour matched pixel layer set to colour but the wavy moire is harder to fix.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

24 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi FrodoNL,

There's no specific Moire tool, we have an FFT denoise tool and you can use this alongside blurring and adding noise/cloning.

Lee

Tnx. But indeed FFT Denoise does not remove moire from a suit.

Using cloning etc is very time consuming and I can't get good results. 

A slider is what I'm really missing. Removing moire from hundreds of photos from a wedding is for me a must to automate. For now I need to think how to approach my workflow and optimize it. Moving to other software is not what I want because of my build up experience in Affinity. But for now the options are limited..

Could you please provide an example file?
it would be sufficient to get only a selected area, but the file should be RGB/16 and uncompressed (no jpeg). The area should contain different moire issues, and areas no impacted.

is the moire issue more in color, or affecting grey areas (much harder)?

one tip of using fft denoise: often the issues are not horizontal / vertical. If they follow a straight line, i got far better results by rotating the image temporary to align the moire to the horizon.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I just posted a tutorial how to reduce moire with Affinity Photo 2 using the new live bandpass mask.

Looking for test images which I can use for a video tutorial.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

A hard nut, but not tot bad:

the moire removal needs a curves adjustment to compensate for the contrast loss. Then, structures like dark lines must be masked out.

hard moire case.png

hard moire case.afphoto

On 11/10/2022 at 2:49 PM, FrodoNL said:

Hi,

I'm a wedding photographer and I'm struggling with removing Moire from suits of the groom. A lot of suits will generate moire in my pictures on different places in the photo.

I was hoping that Affinity Photo v2 had some slider to remove irregular Moire patterns from the suits. I've tested two other products and with a slider it is easy to remove Moire: Feature Request! I'm a bit disappointed it is not in V2, as more and more camera's lack the AA filter.

As I'm familiard with Affinity Photo this is my only thing to use another product, but I can't do this editing in different products as this affects my workflow too much.

Is there an easy way to remove this kind of Moire? Any help will be appreciated.
I've tested blurring but I think this is nog a constructive way of removing these moire patterns.

Thanks

Roland

Just a hint: if you are taking and processing the images yourself:

moire often can be avoided. It can be the result from premature sharpening. When you use an image with strong sharpening, and then resize to a smaller size (for web etc), this can create or dramatically amplify moire. The best practice is to not apply sharpening  before resizing. Sharpening should be the last step, and it must be done individually for every export size. Do not sharp globally, but only on areas like eyes where required.

It's been a long while since I've done this, but I recall working in LAB color space (in Photoshop) and did whatever only on the lightness channel. Of course you need a color image, and you must remember to change back to your final colorspace before exporting.

Sometimes the camera manufacturer's own terrible software will have moire reduction that helps with a specific camera.

Topaz DeNoiseAI is a standalone/plugin than might work. You could try the trial.