You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.4.1 Beta 4)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes

Status: Incremental bug-fix track on 1.4 - Release Candidate

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This is an Incremental Bug-Fix release - it should be considered more stable than the current MAS version (1.4) and should be used in preference to that build, if you are experiencing any of the problems listed below.

Fixes

- Fixed splash screen flicker issues (yay!).

- Fixed PSD Export line width issues.
- Further PDF export improvements.
- Restored ability to change background colour.
- Fixed issues when moving artboards using the Move tool.

(Fixes from 1.4.1 Beta 3)...

- Select All improved for Artboard documents (digs into Artboards)

- Deleting an Artboard will now prompt the user to ask if they want to keep the contents of the Artboard
- Selections containing Artboards will now attempt to lock their children during transforms by default
- Fixed issue with ‘Clip Canvas’ menu item not appearing in all languages
- Fix for potential degraded performance on OS X Mavericks or earlier when panning/zooming
- PDF Import and Export Improvements
- Divide geometry operation functioned incorrectly on curves which used corners
- SVG import now understands the fallback font list
- SVG export now uses postscript name for font export
- Styles now normalise/denormalise when created/applied. Applying a style to a large object then shrinking it will now produce the same result as applying the style directly to a small object.
- Fix for incorrect operation of menus on context toolbars on OS X Lion
- Fix for Alt/Option modifier not working correctly as a modifier to the increment of a numerical text field when the decimal indicator is not a period ‘.’
- Fix for OpenType issue - not being able to apply Case Sensitive Forms
- Fix for spell checker using the wrong spelling language
- Fix for Character panel issue with setting language to “None” or “Invalid”

(Fixes from 1.4.1 Beta 2)...

- Added 'Clip to Canvas' toggle to the View menu - turn it off to see the pasteboard contents

- Eliminated flicker seen on Artboard documents

- Fix for random crash when using PNG file export

- Fix for documents showing incorrect pixel previews when the document DPI itself is set to the @2x or @3x DPI

- Don't limit the extents to which the user can pan the document when in an artboard document

- Text improvements (leading, justification and Paragraph panel improvements)

- Fix for certain text shortcuts not appearing in the customisable list for keyboard shortcuts

- Fix for PDF export failing when the document included specific dash patterns (usually imported from AI/PDF source files)

- Numerous PDF import fixes

- Numerous vector export fixes (PDF, SVG, etc)

- Fix for logic relating to copy/paste of layers and Artboards

- Fix for spelling languages failing to display correctly

- Fix for TGA files coming in flipped sometimes

- Fix for incorrect application of adjustments with blend modes

- Fix for snapping gutters not working if one was set to zero

- Fix for moving views between retina/non-retina screens not updating whether a retina draw was required for that view or not

- Added missing keyboard shortcut for switching between views

- Disable 'save' menu item for documents which have not been modified or cannot be saved

(Fixes from 1.4.1 Beta 1)...

- Fixed crashes when loading a document which has been saved in Quick Mask mode.

- Fixed crashes when using documents in the ProPhoto colour space in Mac OS X 10.9.5.
- Fixed stroke clipping / invalidation issues.
- Fixed crashes when loading documents saved with “Delete Slices” history items.
- Fixed weird zombie-open-dialog when starting the app.
- Fixed crashes when using calibrated monitor profiles with high-accuracy LUTs.
- Fixed layer “Expand” buttons disappearing in Mac OS X 10.8.

And what is also a bit strange: When you create two artboards with the Artboard Tool and select the Move Tool afterwards, the second one has a rotation handle at the top, but only temporarily … is that intended?  :unsure:

Honestly, I don’t remember if artboards ever had rotation handles, since I never used rotated ones, but on closer examination, it seems we can rotate them using the Transform panel and also display the custom rotation centre, but the rotation handle is missing … now I am a bit confused …  :unsure:

And what is also a bit strange: When you create two artboards with the Artboard Tool and select the Move Tool afterwards, the second one has a rotation handle at the top, but only temporarily … is that intended?  :unsure:

Honestly, I don’t remember if artboards ever had rotation handles, since I never used rotated ones, but on closer examination, it seems we can rotate them using the Transform panel and also display the custom rotation centre, but the rotation handle is missing … now I am a bit confused …  :unsure:

I'm not seeing a rotation handle A_B_C... and my move tool dragging with art boards is smooth...

Excellent progress, Andy! I've been silently checking the release notes of the past few betas since I didn't want to bump our old discussion. I hope the thumbnail feature wasn't accidentally forgotten again, but it's understandable with all the other work. Other features/fixes are more important, so I don't care if it takes a year, as long as I know for sure that it's on the list. ;) Hope the new year is treating you well. :)

• Staff

Hi aitte,

The thumbnail feature you speak of has already been implemented ;)

Trouble is, it cannot be released in this set of beta builds - these are strictly bug fixes to the MAS version - no new features.

Matt was a bit naughty when he added the "Clip To Canvas" feature - but it only required a single string to be translated, so it was fine :)

Even better news - we'll be submitting this branch to the store on Monday - which means after it's all released we can start to release beta builds with new features in again :D

Thanks,

Andy.

With regards to 'Clip to Canvas' - would it be possible to add a preference governing the default state of this tool? I would rather 'Clip to canvas' was off by default, as I like to arrange various shapes that I will be using around the workspace.

Cheers,

Oliver.

Oh wow that's fantastic news! Thank you so much. I look forward to seeing how you solved it. It'll be great to see the filesizes shrink like a reverse "all you can eat" contest! :D You're doing incredible work with Affinity. I have left Adobe forever.

Hi Matt and Andy,

seems I discovered an interesting rotation behavior. Create two objects, select the first one, Shift + click to select the second one, and finally use the scroll wheel of your mouse over the rotation input field. See the effect in my video …  :huh:

Although I must say, I find this behavior quite useful for some cases, I don’t believe it is intended, or is it?

Cheers, Alex  :)

Interesting_Rotation.mov

I just noticed that I can invoke the zoom marquee by pressing Cmd + Opt + Space. Which is really great … how could I miss that? Anyways, I would like to suggest the following:

• Personally, I would like to have a preference setting for the marquee zoom …
  • I wonder why the magnifying glass shows a minus sign instead of a plus sign when pressing Cmd + Opt + Space. The plus sign starts to show up only if I drag the marquee … I am not sure what to make of it, and it seems somewhat like a bug …
  • Please make invoking the zoom independent of the order in which the keys are pressed. That would allow invoking the zoom tool in text mode as well …

I don’t know if these suggestions will count as bug fixes and are of interest for the upcoming version, but I just wanted to add them here … thanks, Alex  :)

Hi Matt and Andy,

seems I discovered an interesting rotation behavior. Create two objects, select the first one, Shift + click to select the second one, and finally use the scroll wheel of your mouse over the rotation input field. See the effect in my video …  :huh:

Although I must say, I find this behavior quite useful for some cases, I don’t believe it is intended, or is it?

Hello,

And you can change the center rotation by clicking another point in the square in the transform palette

Nice discovery Alex! Perhaps the seeds of a new "Rotate around object tangent" command you discovered? ;)

Hi Alex,

No - not intended - and a bit crazy!!

I'll have a look.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Matt and Andy,

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
  • I wonder why the magnifying glass shows a minus sign instead of a plus sign when pressing Cmd + Opt + Space. The plus sign starts to show up only if I drag the marquee … I am not sure what to make of it, and it seems somewhat like a bug …

Hi Alex,

That's because if you just clicked, it would zoom out. Cmd+Space does the zoom in when clicked, adding the Option makes it zoom out when clicked :)  Dragging a marquee in either of those modes only zooms in - hence the cursor changes to show zooming in :)

Thanks,

Matt

I'm still having a serious snapping issue in Export persona, similar to what's documented here: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Affinity?preview=1.4-snapping-issues-grid.mov

I'm noticing a couple of things: before, I think when Snap to Grid and "Move by whole pixels" was turned off (at least when Opt-dragging) I was able to precisely line up slices and override the grid. Now it seems no matter what I do, even with snapping completely turned off I can't move export slices more precisely to make sure they line up with an artboard area.

Perhaps it's how I began laying out the artboards, but when experiencing this problem if I turned off "Force Pixel Alignment" and "Move by Whole Pixels," went back to the Draw persona, bumped the artboard around a little bit, then went back to the Export persona, the slice then seemed to line up on its own. Sometimes this took a few tries, randomly bumping things around to get slices to line up.

Pretty time-consuming issue for me, so please check on it if you can. :)

Sorry, accidentally duplicated my post from earlier. :)

Edit: an additional issue I've been having is at random times, I'm unable to click and drag layers and groups in the Layers panel to reorganize/nest them. I'm able to copy and paste layers/groups around to create structure, but not click and drag. Rebooting the app seems to fix the problem.

Hi Matt and Andy,

Cool... Analytical mechanics...  :lol:

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

One other issue I've been having is when Cmd + Dragging over a variety of objects to group them (or re-group them—in some cases certain items may be in an existing group and other items aren't, and I'd like to instead put them all into a new group, the position of the various elements almost always moves around when I hit "Group" rather than staying in place. The only exception is when I Cut and Paste all of the layers, then group them—then they stay in place.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.