You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we have standard ".exe" installer, as Windows LTSC/LTSB versions don't work.

sb101

Ik kan het programma foto v2 niet activeren.

De sleutel en het mailadres zijn correct en komen van de AFFINITY Site. Is het een fout van Serif? Beter was een normaal installatieprogramma. Ik vraag mijn geld terug.

• Staff
On 11/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, sb101 said:

image.png.941577f10eb1599372d5e99c9c2ed9b6.png

This is happening because you need to the App Installer app from the Microsoft Store. However the Microsoft Store isn't available on some versions of Windows LTSC/LTSB.

I would suggest that you contact your Affinity account manager to discuss this further :)

• Staff
On 11/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, wim said:

Ik kan het programma foto v2 niet activeren.

De sleutel en het mailadres zijn correct en komen van de AFFINITY Site. Is het een fout van Serif? Beter was een normaal installatieprogramma. Ik vraag mijn geld terug.

Du scheinst dein Problem hier gelöst zu haben:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 11/28/2022 at 2:39 PM, sb101 said:

hm, not really possible with some win versions - a msi or exe package would do the trick.

Even if you have access to the MSI file, you will still need to make sure that your version of LTSC is the correct build to run our apps.

Could it be the case that with this new system, once installed, the apps could have issues (with graphic/system libraries, etc) later on if forced to be installed (setting the unit to get new content installed, in Windows Settings/System/Storage/"Change where new content is saved"/new Apps set to E (and all of the other things, too)) on another drive than c : ? ( E: in my case ). I have all, environment variables, user folders with symbolic links to E folders, everything (even chrome cache folder! (registry key)) pointing to E drive. I do this to minimize writing on the OS SSD and to keep that main (small) OS disk with enough space for the system bloat. I have done so with all my apps for a long time, had no issues till now (and maybe neither now, and it's about another factor).

If that's impossible to happen or it is a too dumb question, apologies.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff
On 12/5/2022 at 9:23 AM, SrPx said:

Could it be the case that with this new system, once installed, the apps could have issues (with graphic/system libraries, etc) later on if forced to be installed (setting the unit to get new content installed, in Windows Settings/System/Storage/"Change where new content is saved"/new Apps set to E (and all of the other things, too)) on another drive than c : ? ( E: in my case ). I have all, environment variables, user folders with symbolic links to E folders, everything (even chrome cache folder! (registry key)) pointing to E drive. I do this to minimize writing on the OS SSD and to keep that main (small) OS disk with enough space for the system bloat. I have done so with all my apps for a long time, had no issues till now (and maybe neither now, and it's about another factor).

If that's impossible to happen or it is a too dumb question, apologies.

Did you use the Move app option in Apps > Apps & features or did you move the folder yourself and create your own symbolic links?

I had my own symbolic links (as well as temp memory location, environment variables, etc) created from before, but apparently (did not remember), I also had in Settings > System > Storage set to "install new content" in E (as I wanted). I did not use the "Move" feature in the Settings > Apps & Features section.

What I did was exactly this:

- First, since always I have all environment variables pointing to E:, and using sym links to have the user folders always pointing to the E folders I made. This was pre existing to the apps install (2 years, I think. Never caused problems).

- I did not remember certain matter at the moment of install, but apparently (since long ago) I had already set E: as the "unit where to install new content", as specified on Windows Settings/System/Storage/. So, I should have just executed the Affinity installer and not worry at all, maybe then would have not appeared the issue (yet is good if you end up hunting sth).

- I did run the Photo installer, but in the midst of it I realized the installer had not asked me the drive/location to install to (I recon I was completely ignorant about this way of installing, yet), so, not willing for it to install on c : (little space, etc) , I just interrupted the install, I believe just hitting the X in the window, if I remember well (I did not end the task with taskmgr, it was done with what the installer provided in its UI). I ran it a second time as I thought I had skipped the "choose location" step, to realize this was a whole new thing. So I interrupted it again, checked the  "location to install new content" in Windows Settings/system/storage and discovered that I had it set already to install all new content on E:, so I proceeded to a normal install. It went well, used Photo for painting a full session, but then it happened that of having the crash when double clicking on the foreground or background color selector circles as I mentioned in  another (recent, current)  thread (surely while "calling" the color selector from MS Windows, then it just crashes. In Windows admin tools/events viewer, it tells me it is a .NET runtime crash while the mouse clicking there to call an object (COM object or something, I'm no programmer, just an artist)).

I suspect it might have been that moment of interrupting the install with the X that wrecked sth of the .net libraries, or of the affinity apps, or something. As I have it working well on my laptop just fine (it's a Windows 11, though, while I am having the issue in the 3 apps in a very up-to-date Windows 10). But yeah, my latest suspicion (and probably last) is that this can happen in very specific cases of interrupting the installer (that or special mouse related, as referred below). Uninstalling/repairing the .net frame work, using sfc and DISM to check all was fine, running a special .NET repair tool,  uninstalling the apps, don't solve it: each new install will have the issue in all affinity apps. I even thought on the possibility of my new mouse (replaced a standard basic logitech with a more expensive Razer Death Adder Essential (very popular mouse), which perhaps has some sort of stuff written in its chip, as when you connect it already pops a Synapse interface without installing anything), or the Synapse software that comes with it. But I've tried that mouse and Synapse software on the laptop (although...AFTER Photo was installed there, so , that could be it) , Photo was already installed, and it kept working fine, the issue won't show up. Also, wiping out every remain of the mouse in the system doesn't fix it, either.

But I don't want to make you lose time. I am only answering (also as you were super kind in following up) in case it helps development. So, please don't waste your time reading the below output (excuse the Spanish, tho) of the error in the MS Windows Events Viewer (admin tools), unless you might find it useful for your development. I am not asking for help (as I am very comfy using other workflows, tools, and ways of work).

Error:   .NET Runtime

Origen:  .NET Runtime.

Aplicación: Photo.exe
Versión de Framework: v4.0.30319
Descripción: el proceso terminó debido a una excepción no controlada.
Información de la excepción: System.NotImplementedException
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.UpdateCachedSettings()
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.set_WicSourceHandle(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSourceSafeMILHandle)
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.RecoverFromDecodeFailure(System.Exception)
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.get_DUCECompatiblePtr()
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.UpdateBitmapSourceResource(Channel, Boolean)
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.AddRefOnChannelCore(Channel)
   en System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.IResource.AddRefOnChannel(Channel)
   en System.Windows.Media.ImageBrush.ImageSourcePropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.Freezable.OnPropertyChanged(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(System.Windows.EntryIndex, System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry ByRef, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType)
   en System.Windows.DependencyObject.InvalidateProperty(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, Boolean)
   en System.Windows.Data.BindingExpressionBase.Invalidate(Boolean)
   en System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.TransferValue()
   en System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.Transfer()
   en System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.UpdateTarget(Boolean)
   en System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.AttachToContext(Boolean)
   en System.Windows.Data.MultiBindingExpression.MS.Internal.Data.IDataBindEngineClient.AttachToContext(Boolean)
   en MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine+Task.Run(Boolean)
   en MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.Run(System.Object)
   en System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireLayoutUpdateEvent()
   en System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   en System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.SetLayoutSize()
   en System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisualInternal(System.Windows.Media.Visual)
   en System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisual()
   en System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisualAndUpdateSTC()
   en System.Windows.Window.SetupInitialState(Double, Double, Double, Double)
   en System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean)
   en System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(System.Object)
   en Serif.Affinity.Services.PanelService.ShowColourChooser(Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.FillContextDataSource)
   en Serif.Windows.Data.CommandHelper.ExecuteCommand(System.Windows.Input.ICommand, System.Windows.IInputElement, System.Object)
   en Serif.Affinity.UI.Controls.FillContextButton.OnMouseLeftButtonDown(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   en System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   en System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
   en System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseDownThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   en System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   en System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   en System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
   en System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
   en System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
   en System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   en System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   en MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   en MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   en System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   en System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   en System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   en MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   en MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   en System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   en System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   en System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   en Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

(it ends up there).

Edit: This issue was solved. Apparently it was nothing wrong in my system (but in Photo).

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! :)
This crash apparently happens when double clicking on any color selector circle (the two little circles in Photo and the other two apps, foreground color and background color, in the vertical toolbar, happens double clicking any of the two). As when it calls the window for color selection (the actual control from MS Windows, I guess), it crashes,  but! , this only happens (in both Windows 10 and Windows 11) when the user has MS Windows scaling (dpi?) as 110% or 102% (and probably some other odd number, I stopped testing), in custom scaling. I mean in Start icon->Windows Settings->System->Screen->custom scaling. When not using one of the default presets (100%,125%,150%,170%), but choosing a customized one where you have to type a percentage. I made a deep testing there, seeing  that it does not crash in 111%, 125%, 130%, 140%, 115%, 120%, 109%, 108%. Indeed, I have had beta 2.0.3 (and today I'll install the new releases)  apps running perfectly at 109% all this time since then. I had also another constant crash with the Daub's Bristles section (that many people  had), but then I saw a message in some dump or log of mine speaking about preview of the brushes, so I tried to change the thumbnails/brushes preview in the brushes list window. Fortunately, you have set there an option to "show as list", which shows thumbnails but not full stroke ones, this avoids the crash completely, too. Both things (tricks) confirmed to work by several other users. But I am (edit) 99% 100% sure that this log from the events viewer was for the color selector bug, not the brushes. Other than those (which are solved for my workflow), it's been smooth sailing with the betas. :)  Thank you for asking. :) 😎

Edit: Now I found that I mention the "color selector" matter in  that wall of text of mine, so, yep, 100% this was for the double click on color selector crash. :) 

I would add that it is hard to detect (I only discovered comparing my desktop system with my laptop's, which is a vanilla install: this being one of the few config differences), for the user to realize any connection from a double click on a color circle and windows scaling. So, if it's not "patchable", maybe it is not a bad idea to warn about  the 110% scaling on MS Windows (it's no biggie as 111% and 109% don't produce the crash, and I guess is super rare to set 102%).

While I have no problems ( selfishly speaking) this thing has me worried for two reasons: a) That the custom scaling could be producing more random crashes that people can't pinpoint now, so, to check if it magically avoids some other logged bugs/crashes and b) is if this would be a symptom (or, related to) of a bigger issue, meaning, custom scaling or custom some other things, might trigger more crashes (open cl or not) on the apps, would be an additional reason why for some people several things do crash, and why for others (like me), nothing crashes anymore. But maybe this only affects the color selector, and it's not worth digging in that direction. :) 

Thank you very much. :)