You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the Affinity Photo 2 executable?

Dear, good morning. Yesterday I installed my new version of affinity photo (version 2) via the Microsoft Store.

Now I can no longer use it as an external editor in Darktable since I no longer have the path for the application executable.

In my previous version, 1.10, acquired on the Affinity website, did not have this problem since the executable is in 😄 \ program files \ Affinity \ Photo \ 1.0

After a lot of struggle find a zero-size Affinity Photo (AffinityPhoto2.exe) executable in 😄 \ Users \ Marcio \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ WindowsApps. However, the application (Darktable) is unable to access it.

With version 1.10, acquired on the Affinity website, everything worked well.

Captura de tela 2022-11-10 101737.jpg

Try C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Photo.exe

It worked for me with FastStone, unknown whether it'll work across the board. Results have been mixed on the forum.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

Where in darktable are you configuring this? I've looked through preferences but didn't see it. I've not tried to configure my darktable yet and would like to try (4.1 dev nightly). I don't typically pass files back and forth but would like to see if I can configure it.

Confirm your Photo exe is in the same location via this procedure: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/170526-file-path-for-affinity-photo-start-exe-file/&do=findComment&comment=978644   So far the examples I've seen in the forum here have been the same, but just sayin' ...

Also, just an idea... but you might (?) need to paste the entire path/exe line into the Name field of the Explorer window. If there are any spaces in the path, quote the entire line.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

7 minutes ago, lphilpot said:

Where in darktable are you configuring this? I've looked through preferences but didn't see it. I've not tried to configure my darktable yet and would like to try (4.1 dev nightly). I don't typically pass files back and forth but would like to see if I can configure it.

Confirm your Photo exe is in the same location via this procedure: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/170526-file-path-for-affinity-photo-start-exe-file/&do=findComment&comment=978644   So far the examples I've seen in the forum here have been the same, but just sayin' ...

Also, just an idea... but you might (?) need to paste the entire path/exe line into the Name field of the Explorer window. If there are any spaces in the path, quote the entire line.

Dude, it worked!!!!   thank you!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's an annoying change, but I got it (somewhat) to work for a different software. I use PhotoMechanic and use (or maybe used) Affinity Photo as my default photo editor. I pointed PhotoMechanic to:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Photo.exe

but I had to initially run PhotoMechanic as an administrator to have access to the file. Now, unfortunately, Affinity wants to reset itself to its default settings when I call it from PhotoMechanic. There are two work-arounds:

a) you can cancel out of the dialog box or
b) start Affinity Photo before you start PhotoMechanic.

It's a poor solution to something that worked perfectly fine before. :(

20 minutes ago, ceg said:

Now, unfortunately, Affinity wants to reset itself to its default settings when I call it from PhotoMechanic

That's because it's effectively being run by a different account. It's not something I recommend for everyone, but my personal Windows account is a local admin so when I call Photo from another app I have rights and there are no differences. Please note I'm logging in with a local Windows account, not a Microsoft Live account.

Len