You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher V2 keeps on crashing (UPDATE: and corrupts files)

I have been using Publisher V2 since yesterday. But now it has become very unstable. It keeps on crashing. And on the rare occasion I manage to save a file inside Publisher V2, the file size becomes ridiculously large (e.g. jumping from 9MB to 170MB).

I have tried restarting MacOS several times to no avail. 

How can I trouble shoot this? Or am I better just deleting Publisher and reinstalling? What's the best way of re-installing publisher? Do I just drag it to the trashcan or is there a better way?

Environment:

• MacOS 12.6.1 on Intel MacBook Pro
  • Publisher downloaded from Mac App Store. 

35 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi big smile,

Is it possible to take a copy of the original document to see if this is repeatable on our machines?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/7IrxkELtyahtzHOtw9Mp

Lee

@LeeThorpe I assume by original you mean Version 1 file. I have uploaded it.

The V1 file is 7.8MB

When I opened it in Publisher 2 earlier today, it became a 170MB file. Although it didn’t happen straightaway, but after I had made a few text changes. However, I just tried it again, and it's only a 27MB file. Which isn't as bad, but it does seem like quite a big jump from 7.8MB.

I am still having issues with Publisher crashing and hanging, so should I reinstall? if so, what's the best way? 

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Thanks, yes the v1 file.

Is the crashing and hanging only occurring when working on the v1 files or in general?

Are you getting any crash reports?

Lee

It happens with both V1 files and brand new V2 files I made.

Attached are the crash reports. (Both are from using Affinity Publisher 2, but one is with a file created from V1 (but saved as a V2 file and then reopened) and the other is a test file made natively in V2).

27 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

I'm getting a slightly smaller file size when saving in v2 wthout any changes, and after a bunch of text changes only a couple of MB larger.

Lee

Hmmm... Could my different results be related to the crashing. Everything was working fine until mid-way through this morning!

Apub - V1 Crash Report.txt Apub - V2 Crash Report.txt

• Staff

Thanks for the crash reports, we'll investigate these.

I'm wondering if this is related to the linked files which I don't have, would you mind uploading the whole structure to the previous dropbox link? ( I think saving as a package might diverge us away from the potential issue).

Could you try experimenting with different hardware accelleration / retina rendering / view quality modes in Settings > Performance?

Lee

30 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Thanks for the crash reports, we'll investigate these.

I'm wondering if this is related to the linked files which I don't have, would you mind uploading the whole structure to the previous dropbox link? ( I think saving as a package might diverge us away from the potential issue).

Could you try experimenting with different hardware accelleration / retina rendering / view quality modes in Settings > Performance?

Lee

I don’t think linked files are the issue, as I created a brand new file in V2 that had no linked images.

I shall try experimenting with the hardware acceleration first. Do you know which are the safest settings to start with? Maybe I can start with the safest settings first and then expand to isolate the issue. 

On 11/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, LeeThorpe said:

I would say:

Nearest Neighbour for view quality

OpenGL for renderer

Low Quality - Fastest for retina rendering.

@LeeThorpe Hi I tried the safe settings, but same problem. Falling behind on work, I went for the nuclear option: I reinstalled MacOS and then Publisher.

As before it worked fine, but then after a few hours it started crashing again. This time, I used AppCleaner to delete all the Publisher files in the MacOS library. That seems to work but then again after a few hours the crashing returns.

I notice that when it crashes, it sometimes corrupts files. 

On the dropbox link, I have put a 34.5 MB Publisher file (titled Fun-Arithmetic-COVERS). It was originally a 7.8 MB file in Publisher V1, but every time I open it in V2 it balloons it up to 30MB+, even when I don’t make any changes.

The version I have uploaded is a corrupt V2 version as it will no longer open.

To this post, I have attached all the crash reports that are generated by MacOS each time Publisher crashes. I would be grateful if you could look into the matter.

I was really excited to get Publisher 2. But now it feels a bit like playing a game of chance where you don’t know if it will crash and your work will be corrupted!

Thanks for all your help so far, and thanks in advance that this problem can be fixed. 

Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-12-161104.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-12-161128.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-12-184936.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-161314.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-163444.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-164231.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-164450.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-164616.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-164730.ips Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-13-182354.ips

@LeeThorpe It occurred again. Publisher crashed. And then the file that was open went from 11MB to over 50MB! The file also seems to be corrupt, as although it will open it will keep on crashing publisher ever time I try to export it to PDF or make other edits. 

To the dropbox link, I've uploaded the original file and the new corrupt version, plus all the crash logs that occurred during the crash (they are in Apple MacOS format, I am not sure if you need them in a different format). Please advise if you need anything else. Thanks!

@LeeThorpe I've got another instance of this. I opened a file that was only 3.3 MB. But then Publisher crashed. And the file went from 3.3MB to 81.3 MB! And again, this new bigger file seems to be corrupt, as although it will open it will keep on crashing publisher ever time I try to export it to PDF or make other edits. 

In the dropbox link, I've again uploaded the original file (It is titled "00fun-LongMath-INSIDE-text--V1") and the new corrupt version ("00fun-LongMath-INSIDE-text--V2), plus all the crash logs that occurred during the crash. 

If you need any other details, please ask. Thanks!

22 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Thanks for the additional info, I haven't forgotten about this, it's on my "to do" list. I will endeavour to take a look in more detail tomorrow.

Lee

@LeeThorpe Thanks! I had another occurance. A file went from 6.5MB to 356.5MB!! As before no changes were made. It was simply opened in Publisher 2 and that caused it to swell in size. The new file is virtually unusable as it causes the application to hang. I have uploaded it together with the crash reports. The original 6.5MB file is called "00fun-arithmetic-INSIDE-text--v1". The new V2 356.5MB file is called "00fun-arithmetic-INSIDE-text--v2".

I hope it's okay to keep on uploading these. If you've got too many let me know and I will stop.

Thank you also for taking the time to look at this. I appreciate it. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

@LeeThrope This seems to still be an issue in 2.0.3.1674 (macOS). The files no longer bloat in size. But Publisher hangs and has to be force quit. If you can provide an updated drop box link, I can send the crash reports that are generated (The old Dropbox link you had has expired). Thanks!

I'm having crashing issues too after installing Publisher V2.03 - with the newest Update (currently in Testversion).

Using V1 for about 3 Years and never had this issue before. 

Example: Inserting text in a text field -> adding Bullets - and at the moment I want to change the bullet type -> crash!

I'm Using macOS Ventura on an MBP 2020.

• Staff

@Rollo the Wiking

Sorry to hear that please can you make your own thread to keep support simple as I do not think your report is related.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
On 12/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, big smile said:

@LeeThrope This seems to still be an issue in 2.0.3.1674 (macOS). The files no longer bloat in size. But Publisher hangs and has to be force quit. If you can provide an updated drop box link, I can send the crash reports that are generated (The old Dropbox link you had has expired). Thanks!

Thanks for the update @big smile   , here's a fresh link https://www.dropbox.com/request/goIDT07YKecViLFDBnYD

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Thanks for the update @big smile   , here's a fresh link https://www.dropbox.com/request/goIDT07YKecViLFDBnYD

@LeeThorpeThank you kindly. I have added the crash reports that were produced under  Affinity Publisher 2 Customer Beta 2.0.3.1674 (macOS). Please advise if there is any more information I can provide. It would be neat if the next release of Publisher 2 was more stable, as for most of my work I am having to stick with Publisher 1. Thanks again, and best wishes for the Xmas period. 

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

Can you try creating a new user account and seeing if you get the crashes using that account - also could you upload another copy of a crashing file to the same account as the recent hang files please

@PaulsI created a new MacOS account and it doesn't crash. On the old account, I cleaned Affinity's folders in the "Application Support" and "Group Containers" files and the old account started working without crashing.

BUT: If I open a file that has a linked Publisher file (as per this issue) the linked file appears partially blank (e.g. not all the pages render). If I click on the linked file in any way, then the beta will freeze, and I have to force quit it. (This doesn't happen in the non-Beta version of Publisher 2, nor in the previous 1.10 release). 

I have uploaded the problem file, plus also the linked file it uses and the associated crash report. 

14 minutes ago, Pauls said:

Looking at the file for me it appears as a missing remote file - I would recommend relinking those files not sure if the remote link was intentional as it would appear be a document stored on your machine

@PaulsThanks. re-linking files in beta is not possible, as clicking on resource manager causes the beta to crash as discussed here. However, I tried it in Affinity Publisher 2 (non-beta) and it seems to work. It's confusing that relinking would be the issue, as in the status it said "OK" and the file was in the correct path listed. 

However, although the file works, it still has the issue of linked Publisher files not rendering properly, as discussed in this thread. If you are able to review that thread, and let me know if you need any more input for me to help diagnose the issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Linked Publisher files used to work perfectly in prior versions of Publisher, but now my work flow has been heavily impacted as they don’t work as well as they used to!

Thanks again, and best wishes for the holiday period. :) 

• Staff

the trouble is I need all your files and unless they are all in one or two folders that can be easily zipped up its difficult to replicate the problems. Packaging the file forces a relink anyway which often resolves the issue we are trying to investigate

15 minutes ago, Pauls said:

the trouble is I need all your files and unless they are all in one or two folders that can be easily zipped up its difficult to replicate the problems. Packaging the file forces a relink anyway which often resolves the issue we are trying to investigate

@Pauls Is this comment relating to this linked files thread.?If so, I can slim down the files, so they are just two files in total. Let me know and provide a drop box link, and I can submit it so there are just two files. I think actually did this, and although in the beta the condition is improved, there are some pages of the file that do not render 100% correctly. So it's just getting those last pages to render 100% correctly that is the issue. Let me know and I can assist to help with the issue. Thanks :)