You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Endnotes replace footnotes

I appreciate the feature of generating footnotes and endnotes. Unfortunately it is buggy.

1. I generated 50 footnotes. That worked well.

2. Then I wanted to generate 30 endnotes in the same document. That didn’t work flawless: Publisher 2 turned all my footnotes into endnotes and all my footnote texts were disappeared! Please see attached screenshots.

3.The endnote numbers that replaced the footnote numbers were missing at the endnote text page at the end of the book: v was followed by viii. vi and vii are missing (previously footnote no. 14 and 15).

before.jpg

after.jpg

endnote text.jpg

30 minutes ago, PiXXeLwahnsinn said:

Publisher 2 turned all my footnotes into endnotes and all my footnote texts were disappeared!

That's interesting. I don't see that problem when I create footnotes and endnotes in the same document. 

I hope you don't mind me asking you to describe what you do to create endnotes after you've created footnotes?

Do yo mind attaching your document here so I can have a look.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 hours ago, danzefirelli said:

There a more issues. Why does the footnotes aren*t continuous from one page to another?

Please open Help -> Affinity Publisher 2 Help and find help on Footnotes. This will teach you all you need to know about the Footnotes, Endnotes and Sidenotes.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, MikeTO said:

You can definitely mix footnotes and endnotes in the same document - just be sure you're not using the Document-Wide option.

Hi, I'm having similar problems. I have a document with multiple footnotes and endnotes, and I have managed to delete them 2 or 3 times. I think it is happening after I've inserted pages, though I may be wrong. I am using Document-Wide as I'd have thought that sets the default "Document-Wide". If somebody could suggest what I am doing wrong, I'd be grateful. I'm getting a bit bored of copying and pasting notes repeatedly.

Thank you very much

• Staff

Hi @KJL,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

2 hours ago, KJL said:

I have a document with multiple footnotes and endnotes, and I have managed to delete them 2 or 3 times. I think it is happening after I've inserted pages, though I may be wrong.

When inserting pages into your document, the Endnotes position may move, depending on your notes settings - but they certainly shouldn't be lost.

Are you able to provide more information regarding the exact steps you're taking when this occurs? A screen recording of this or a copy of your .afpub file may help further investigations.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, KJL said:

I have a document with multiple footnotes and endnotes, and I have managed to delete them 2 or 3 times. I think it is happening after I've inserted pages, though I may be wrong.

Do you mean they all of the footnotes and endnotes disappear at once? Or do you mean that sometimes one note disappears?

It's easy to delete a single note by accident because the marker is so small. It's a really good idea to turn on Text > Highlight Fields which will make them more obvious.

3 hours ago, KJL said:

I am using Document-Wide as I'd have thought that sets the default "Document-Wide".

The Document-Wide option can be a bit confusing at first. Clicking it doesn't mean all your footnotes (or endnotes) will now use the same settings, it just means that new notes will be created using these settings but you can still set each note independently. There's no option to instruct Publisher to set all notes the same way permanently.

To ensure that all of your notes of each type are using the same settings, you need to set the Document-Wide settings the way you want them and then choose "Revert all Sidenotes/Endnotes/Footnotes to Document Settings" from the panel's menu. The term "Revert" is a bit confusing because you might be changing notes that had never used document-wide settings so think of this command as "Change all Sidenotes/Endnotes/Footnotes to Document Settings".

If in the future you want to change the settings for your notes again, you'll need to change the toggle from Document-Wide to Custom and set one note. Then you must choose "Update Document Settings from Selected Footnotes" from the panel's menu. And don't forget to switch back to Document-Wide to ensure new notes are set with the Document-Wide settings.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @KJL,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

When inserting pages into your document, the Endnotes position may move, depending on your notes settings - but they certainly shouldn't be lost.

Are you able to provide more information regarding the exact steps you're taking when this occurs? A screen recording of this or a copy of your .afpub file may help further investigations.

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks for everybody's responses. Very helpful.

I am formatting a book that I imported from MS Word. In Word, it has a couple of hundred references that are formatted as a combination of endnotes and footnotes.

When I import it, by default publisher sets them all to endnotes. So my task is to find and convert about 50 notes back to footnotes.

When I find the relevant note, I right-click select notes>convert_notes and then convert as per the image below. That all works perfectly, but periodically publisher resets them all back to endnotes. I thought it was me being cack-handed as you could do that easily from the dialogue box if you weren't careful.

However, I have just managed to change them all back to endnotes by changing the number of lines following a heading in the text styles editor. 

I have experimented with it a little bit, and if I change a text style which changes the flow of the text, then the notes revert back to their original style (end in my case).

Any thoughts (other than stop faffing with your styles :)) would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.27.57.png

11 minutes ago, KJL said:

Thanks for everybody's responses. Very helpful.

I am formatting a book that I imported from MS Word. In Word, it has a couple of hundred references that are formatted as a combination of endnotes and footnotes.

When I import it, by default publisher sets them all to endnotes. So my task is to find and convert about 50 notes back to footnotes.

When I find the relevant note, I right-click select notes>convert_notes and then convert as per the image below. That all works perfectly, but periodically publisher resets them all back to endnotes. I thought it was me being cack-handed as you could do that easily from the dialogue box if you weren't careful.

However, I have just managed to change them all back to endnotes by changing the number of lines following a heading in the text styles editor. 

I have experimented with it a little bit, and if I change a text style which changes the flow of the text, then the notes revert back to their original style (end in my case).

Any thoughts (other than stop faffing with your styles :)) would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.27.57.png

The movie below might help explain what I am doing. 37 seconds of cinematic joy.  Thank you

• Staff

Thanks for the further information and screen recording provided!

This certainly appears to be a bug, though I have tried replicating the steps in your screen recording within a new document and I have thus far been unable to repeat this within the new file.

Are you able to attach a copy of your .afpub file which shows this issue please? If you'd like a private upload link for this file, please let me know :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

My apologies for the delayed response here and many thanks for providing your document in the separate thread!

I can confirm that I have been able to replicate this issue with your file and I have logged it as a bug with our development team for further investigation.

Unfortunately, thus far within my testing I have been unable to find a workaround to resolve this issue, my sincerest apologies.

Should our team have any further information to share regarding this issue, I will be sure to respond here ASAP.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!