You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another basic question, but I am not going to learn this great Photo Editing software even for my very amateur needs if I don't ask. I take a lot of photos of my two Shih Tzu and even tho I have purchased an external speedlite (and know about bouncing it off ceiling) for my Canon camera I still occasionally get the green or turquoise eyes on one of my dogs. I assume I will get better at the actual photo taking and eventually eliminate this problem. But until then, I want to be able to fix this with AP.

Right now, my process (that doesn't work for me) is:

Use Select Paintbrush Tool>lower brush size to about 3 px>select black color under Colour on left panel>paint within green eye(s)>delect

How could I do this better to make it actually work? My desire is to have this not come out coal black but more natural dark brown and then be able to finish by putting the tiny white "catch light" dot in the eye. Oh, and I have watched the video 'changing eye color', I am still doing something wrong.  I sometimes do get an improvement from outright green but am still left with a discernible very dark shade of turquoise which at first glance may look ok, but not anywhere near dark brown.

Thank you for any help you might be. I see that this software is designed for professional users but I have been doing so well with it to improve the photos I have taken of my dogs, I will for sure stick with it to meet my very simple needs. And apologize each time I am a bother with these very basic questions.

PhotoNewbie--you definitely want to use a mask, so that part of both tutorials should be good for your needs. Once you have the mask, you can try different ways to correct color. In addition to those already suggested, you can try Selective Color or Color Balance to get the hue. You may also get best results if you combine several correction layers, including Curves or Levels since those will easily allow you to darken the color.

Thank you, Asha, I'll have to figure out how to find/use Selective Color or Color Balance, as I have not found those in a tutorial. I did try the methods in the tutorial video for changing that model's eyes but could not figure out how to get brown eyes. Coukd get green to blue but not brown.

it looks like your problem is to find the correct color mix to get the brown you need, rather than the method to apply the new color. 

i suggest to use a fill layer: when it is selected, its color changes as soon as you move the color controls: masking it as needed should allow you to experiment rapidly.

a starting point fo a brown color could be 100 red, 50 green, 0 blue (provided you are working in the rgb space).

take care,

stefano

PhotoNewbie--in the layers palette towards the bottom there is a circle with half black and half white. If you click on that, you will see the options to create correction layers, including HSL, Selective Color, Color Balance, Curves and Levels. You select the type of correction you want to make, and it will create the correction layer of that style. On the correction layer, you put your mask so that only the eyes are affected. Then, use the controls (sliders, curves, whatever) to adjust the color of the eyes. As I said previously, you may need more than one of various different kinds of correction layers, all with masks so that only the eyes are affected.

it looks like your problem is to find the correct color mix to get the brown you need, rather than the method to apply the new color. 

i suggest to use a fill layer: when it is selected, its color changes as soon as you move the color controls: masking it as needed should allow you to experiment rapidly.

a starting point fo a brown color could be 100 red, 50 green, 0 blue (provided you are working in the rgb space).

I have been experimenting with my green eyed dog photo for over an hour and tring every one of these methods. I can accomplish one step in most of the methods but another step does nothing even when I follow the videos very carefully. But since I do get the brown eye color I need using the Fill layer, how do I accomplish the whole thing, i.e. I draw the marquee but am unsure when to use a mask layer, when to use the fill layer. If you have any spare time, I would most appreciate a step detail. I apologize for asking you to do this but I have been able to accomplish other edits I need to my photos on my own, but too green for this one.

PhotoNewbie--may I also suggest that you try different lighting in future pet photographs. When you flash from the camera into the pet's face, you are more likely to get the glowing eyes. I'm not saying that you shouldn't correct glowing eyes in pics you already have, but that you might try some other photography techniques to give yourself something closer to what you want.

I have been experimenting with my green eyed dog photo for over an hour and tring every one of these methods. I can accomplish one step in most of the methods but another step does nothing even when I follow the videos very carefully. But since I do get the brown eye color I need using the Fill layer, how do I accomplish the whole thing, i.e. I draw the marquee but am unsure when to use a mask layer, when to use the fill layer. If you have any spare time, I would most appreciate a step detail. I apologize for asking you to do this but I have been able to accomplish other edits I need to my photos on my own, but too green for this one.

Hey there,

Try this video tutorial I created: https://youtu.be/ifbSHigo2fQ

It's specific to changing a Colour in the eyes from a light to a darker one. See if it works for you?

If it doesn't work exactly like you want it to just give me a shout :)

----------------------------

Desmond @ AFFINITY PHOTO TIPS

Twitter: @APTRocksYouTube Tutorials: www.youtube.com/AffinityPhotoTips

Thank you so much for all the suggestions here. I had already tried to follow the video re: changing the baby's eye color to brown and found (for some newbie reason) that after drawing the marquee around the pet's eye, I could not get anything else named in the video to respond. But, I was able to draw the marquee  around the pet eye and use Edit>Fill and work the color around to brown and apply to the eye. And then Mask and add a curve layer and darken it. I just now need to be able to get the sparkle back to the eye as it is a flat dark brown. I tried adding some more adjustment layers to the Mask such as Shadows and Highlights but that does not quite do it. I especially need that little white dot in the eye. Sorry to have to keep my actions so simple but I find that works best for me as a newbie. Again, thanks so very much for taking the time with me.

Again, thank you so much. I have finally gotten a workflow that works for me. I used Marquee>Edit>Fill(adjust to brown color, lower slightly Opacity, Blend using preview to select best>Apply. Then use Mask for each Adjustment Layer I want to make.

This is a crude ending but it was just a learning example for me to further my elementary skills in AP and I will get better and more precise as I go along. And BTW, I now have an external speedlite for my camera that greatly helps to prevent these "Pet Eyes". But as I said, I needed to learn how to perform this correction.

So here is my result for today:   post-23040-0-76361500-1453122458_thumb.jpg

I have not attached original photo but it had brilliant turquoise eyes.