You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

install v2 parallel to v1 to use both versions

v2 is a new program so it will install side by side without impacting your v1 programs. Don't worry, installing v2 will not overwrite v1 in any way.

Note that v2 saves in a new file format so documents saved from v2 cannot be opened in v1. You can generally copy and paste between v1 and v2, as long as you're not copying something that uses a feature from v2 that doesn't exist in v1.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 11/10/2022 at 2:31 PM, MikeTO said:

v2 is a new program so it will install side by side without impacting your v1 programs. Don't worry, installing v2 will not overwrite v1 in any way.

Is this a statement actually and officially verified by Affinity/Serif?

It would be quite a disaster for me if I installed V2 overwriting V1 in the process and then get problems which I (finally) hadn't using V1...
I got to admit it took me some time with V1 to have everything correctly in place and under control to get production ready "safe“ PDFs which I can confidently send to my printing providers these days...

@Lorox

Fear not that V1 installation could ever get overwritten by V2. V2 uses an entirely different installer and saves itself on a different folder structure.*
For anything else the comment by MikeTO has it covered.

*speaking for Windows. no idea about macOS IpadOS

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

1 minute ago, Designer1234 said:

Exactly, in Windows it uses different folders to store settings, license etc.  Both apps works separately.

Good you mention it: in my case I was actually referring to the Mac-version. Anybody knows if it's true for Mac as well?

1 hour ago, Lorox said:

Good you mention it: in my case I was actually referring to the Mac-version. Anybody knows if it's true for Mac as well?

Yes. I have v1 and v2 Mac running side by side, there are no folders or files shared between them. v2 doesn't know v1 exists on my machine or vice versa.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

26 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Yes. I have v1 and v2 Mac running side by side, there are no folders or files shared between them. v2 doesn't know v1 exists on my machine or vice versa.

Ah... thanks a lot! I'll have to first upgrade my macOs, though – unfortunately, it seems, Mojave is no longer supported... (even though it's a perfectly running system here – so I wouldn't have wanted to change it otherwise).

2 hours ago, Lorox said:

'll have to first upgrade my macOs, though – unfortunately, it seems, Mojave is no longer supported... (even though it's a perfectly running system here – so I wouldn't have wanted to change it otherwise).

Before upgrading your OS, you should probably check to make sure your other applications (non-Affinity) will work. For example, older Adobe apps may not work. I'm not sure if there are other concerns.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure if there are other concerns.

Mojave is the last to officially support 32 bit apps. If @Lorox updates to a later version of macOS, any 32 bit app will not work. There are some workarounds with limited success. Go to About This Mac/System Report/Software/Applications. It will show which apps are 32 bit. I don't have a screen shot of this now as there are only 64 bit apps in later versions of macOS.

@walt.farrell & @LondonSquirrel: Yeah, you're right this is actually one of the reasons I didn't update yet to Catalina or even newer macOS versions. But on my Mac there are only two 32 bit apps which I have used only occasionally and which I could possibly do without.

What bothers me more, however,  is that so far my 12(!) year old Canon A3 format printer and EPSON scanner have – astonishingly – still been working perfectly with this Mac and Mojave (which I wouldn't have thought beforehand). I'm more than a bit worried that one or even both of them cannot be used anymore with Catalina or newer...

Dropping a rarely used app is one thing but being forced to buy a new printer and scanner – especially as the current ones are in excellent shape and working order – is quite another...

14 hours ago, Lorox said:

What bothers me more, however,  is that so far my 12(!) year old Canon A3 format printer and EPSON scanner have – astonishingly – still been working perfectly with this Mac and Mojave (which I wouldn't have thought beforehand). I'm more than a bit worried that one or even both of them cannot be used anymore with Catalina or newer...

My HP LaserJet and Epson flatbed are just as old and both work fine with Ventura.

To install several versions of a programme in parallel and even use them at the same time, there is a simple procedure that only requires disk space. I developed it > 30 years ago for an FE programme and a renowned company has adopted it for their very well-known CAD package.

My question now is, is it also realised with the Affinity programmes that one can use both versions in parallel - e.g. to transfer parts from one document to the other via cut & paste?

3 hours ago, CharlyBrown said:

My question now is, is it also realised with the Affinity programmes that one can use both versions in parallel - e.g. to transfer parts from one document to the other via cut & paste?

Yes you can but if you are copying something in v2 that is using a feature or effect only found in v2, pasting that into v1 may give undesirable and unexpected results.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M