You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Already purchased Affinity Photo, Designer & Publisher

This is not an update. You get free updates for the lifetime of the version. A new version is an upgrade, and once you have purchased it, you will get free updates to it for the lifetime of that version.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

2 minutes ago, Ali said:

This is not an update. You get free updates for the lifetime of the version. A new version is an upgrade, and once you have purchased it, you will get free updates to it for the lifetime of that version.

Cool, thanks. Unfortunately, I'm on disability &   it will take a very long time to save up for it...

10 hours ago, Ali said:

Just keep using V1 until you can afford it. Mind you, there's a big 40% off at the moment.

Cool, thanks. Will do. When I have enough, I will purchase V.2 in Microsoft Windows Store.
It will be a while. 

Oh, will this also happen on every version "V. 3, V.4 etc.." in the future?

i find that a little weird and deceitful really, its labeled as "one-off purchase" in the price card and nowhere in the card does it specify for "this version as long as it lasts, all future versions will be a new price". So affinity will continue to update versions and support all previous versions until they see fit? Why would one update at all? FOMO? Affinity you were sort of a cool product i could see using in the company, but you gotta be more up front, no one i know that's using this currently, thinks its ok what you did here. Our once little group, was growing, but i don't think we'll end up supporting in the end. the fact that so many of us were supporting and were early adopters. ouch

Edited by kww
mispelling

@kww

Welcome to the Affinity forums, even if your first post is something of a rant.  😇

It has always been made clear by Serif that all releases of updates to version 1 would be free but that an upgrade to version 2 and, presumably eventually version 3, would require the user to buy again.  There is nothing deceitful about this!  Do you really think that Serif can afford to develop, extensively beta test and ultimately release new versions of their products, financed ONLY by the sale of whichever was the first version the user bought?  Remember, the initial purchase prices of the version 1 apps was considered by many who post here as an extreme example of "excellent value for money"!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@emmrecs01

shine your passive aggressive self. "Welcome to the Affinity forums, even if your first post is something of a rant." i don't get the sense of this as a welcome hahaha

Its a forum there will be rants. but thanks for the laugh with your aggressive defense. As far as a rant, maybe count the use of bolds & italics, save that there are a couple of exclamation points thrown in for good measure in your reply. well done.

If you are a moderator feel free to ban me for whatever reason you see fit. i don't see me using this forum much after this anyway. Cheers.

Edited by kww

21 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@kww

Welcome to the Affinity forums, even if your first post is something of a rant.  😇

It has always been made clear by Serif that all releases of updates to version 1 would be free but that an upgrade to version 2 and, presumably eventually version 3, would require the user to buy again.  There is nothing deceitful about this!  Do you really think that Serif can afford to develop, extensively beta test and ultimately release new versions of their products, financed ONLY by the sale of whichever was the first version the user bought?  Remember, the initial purchase prices of the version 1 apps was considered by many who post here as an extreme example of "excellent value for money"!

I already wrote this in another thread.

IMO Serif picked the worst case scenario for customers who bought Affinity Apps last year (I'm in it). Until the purchase of Affinity, I used Inkscape, then Gravit Designer. After testing Affinity, I decided to buy it, despite the lack of several functions known from other applications. The forum promised to add these features in the future, so I believed that I would see it. In addition, I encountered several bugs during use - there was also a response that work on fixing it was in progress. And what? They released V2 and blew off existing users. "Buy yourself a new version."

This is not about money or the interpretation of what a perpetual license is. It's about customer loyalty. Ok, I bought V1 in December 2021. What about people who bought in the last few months?
They paid more than half the price of the V2 version and were left with an underdeveloped program, with limited functionality and promises of adding new tools. I recommended Affinity to my friend and if it wasn't for his tardiness, he would have bought V1 a month ago and now I would feel bad about it.
Why didn't existing customers receive an additional discount? I've seen Serif explain that they supposedly have a lot of distribution channels and are unable to verify a valid purchase. And the license key is not a confirmation of having a license and then the right to a discount? Such talk to get more money from customers.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:13 AM, Murfee said:

How do you work out that its is an annual subscription? That underlined text it when the launch discount ends... nothing about annual subscription... 

I was saying that ~ I figure since Version 2 costed money after I purchased Version 1 awhile back, then I figure Version 3 would also cost money.
That's
why I figured that there's an annual subscription fee... (Version 2, Version 3, Version 4 ~ ETC.)

16 minutes ago, mpowell said:

That's why I figured that there's an annual subscription fee.

Version 1 was released in 2015 or so. So version 2 was released about seven years later. Hardly 'annual".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1