You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quickly Make Different Size Pictures

Hopefully somebody can help me out. I have photos that I'm interested in getting different size prints, such as 4x6, 5x7, 8x10. Obviously the different sizes crop the image differently. Is there anyway to quickly export different size images for prints? I can crop and resize, but for each different size I have to undo my previous crop. Can anybody help me out?

Hi spleeding

Batch Processing is listed on the roadmap to be added in a future update. 

For now, the best method for now would be to amend the image size and then export. To do this just click Document > Resize Document then enter the size you want, then export.

I hope this helps!
J

Okay, I think batch processing will work in the future. It will allow me to select the area of the picture, right, not just auto crop?

As for artboards, I have Photo, no Designer. I don't believe it has artboards. At least I couldn't find it. Thanks for the feedback.

… the different sizes crop the image differently …

Hi spleeding,

as far as I can see, you just want to control (firstly) the aspect ratio of the image and (secondly) which parts of the image are cropped when the image is cropped to the chosen aspect ratio. Correct me, but I don’t believe you are talking about size and resolution in particular, are you?

So you could use the Export persona for these two objectives. Just create slices of the intended aspect ratios. For example, if you want a 4 x 3 crop, create a slice of, say 400 x 300 pixels, hold the Shift key, grab a corner of your slice and resize it, thereby keeping the selected aspect ratio. Finally drag the slice, until it encloses the desired part of your image. Export, and you’re done.

Hope that makes sense …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-61071600-1452934498_thumb.png

Okay, that's getting closer. Is there anyway to preset the desired slice to something in inches? Or have it pull up a box and menu that looks like the crop box? Or lock in the slice aspect ratio so when I move it, it stays the same? (you probably figured out I'm a rookie at this point and time)

… snapping apparently does not work in export persona …

Well, slices only snap to pixels … that’s not a bug, but it is intended. A somewhat cumbersome workaround would be the following: Create a transparent rectangle on top of your image, snap it to the right place and create a slice “from” that layer (rectangle), as it is called …

Is there any way to preset the desired slice to something in inches?

No, since the intended use of the Export Persona is different from what we’re doing here. But as I believe, you are interested in keeping the aspect ratio and not in targeting the export to a certain absolute size, aren’t you? So you won’t loose anything when using pixel measures.

Or lock in the slice aspect ratio so when I move it, it stays the same?

As I said, hold down the Shift key when dragging a slice from the edge. That should constrain the aspect ratio. Apart from doing so, you can always perform the cross-multilplication for the absolute pixel sizes …  ;)

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

… snapping apparently does not work in export persona …

Well, slices only snap to pixels … that’s not a bug, but it is intended. A somewhat cumbersome workaround would be the following: Create a transparent rectangle on top of your image, snap it to the right place and create a slice “from” that layer (rectangle), as it is called …

i'm not sure i understand... if i cannot make slices snap to image borders, does this mean that my image dimensions are not pixel aligned? in other words, do i have an image that is for example 1500.4 pixel wide?  :o

take care,

stefano

Well, as far as I see, the Export Persona mainly serves for the creation of digital assets for web and UI design. Therefore, slices were designed to work in (whole-)pixel space:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9432-snapping-too-buggy-and-unrealiable/?p=64248

On the other hand, you wouldn’t usually create a document for the mentioned purposes using inches or centimeters as measurement units. Therefore, it would make perfect sense if slices snapped to document borders as well. Obviously there has been some discussion about this issue among the developers in the past:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/325-slices-do-not-adhere-to-general-snapping/

But I am sorry, I don’t know what’s the current state of this debate …  :(

Kind regards, Alex

thanks for the pointers, alex.

anyway, i'd simply expect that the snapping option do what it does in the other personas, where applicable. snapping to edges can be of help when you want to include the very outermost pixel in the slice and yet avoid the risk of having empty pixels in the export on one or more sides.

take care,

stefano

Well, as far as I see, the Export Persona mainly serves for the creation of digital assets for web and UI design. Therefore, slices were designed to work in (whole-)pixel space:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9432-snapping-too-buggy-and-unrealiable/?p=64248

On the other hand, you wouldn’t usually create a document for the mentioned purposes using inches or centimeters as measurement units. Therefore, it would make perfect sense if slices snapped to document borders as well. Obviously there has been some discussion about this issue among the developers in the past:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/325-slices-do-not-adhere-to-general-snapping/

But I am sorry, I don’t know what’s the current state of this debate …  :(

Kind regards, Alex

Current state of debate has gotten quite interesting. I do enjoy. The original question start with me, trying to take a family photo image, and send it off to be printed in various sizes(4x6, 5x7, 8x10) and being able to select and the area that I want to show up in the photo appropriately.

This is what I have figured out so far(with your help and my tinkering):

If I make a slice, then set the ratio to 500px by 700px, I can then drag it to where I want (snapping to edges would be phenomenal for this), Then I can "Shift+drag" to keep ratio and enlarge the image, and once enlarged then move it again to set where I want it (snapping to edges would again be phenomenal for this), and then go back and make sure it's on the edges and not over (because it won't snap).

I very much like how the crop tool lays it all out for you, but once cropped, you have to undo to make a different size. So I guess my next question is, Would it be worth while suggesting a feature that would allow you to "Export for Print", that would let you select a print size(4x6, etc.), move it and snap it where you want it, and export it?

My photography is more of my personal hobby, so maybe amateur and pro users find this a waste?

i did not experimented the export persona yet, also because i very seldom print photographs.

however, from what i personally tried or read in the forums, overlapping slices should do the trick for you: that way you should be able to export different formats from the same image to be printed.

when using a feature like this, a working selection-to-snap would be a big plus, but i don't think that losing a pixel or two on the edge of the image can be a real problem, at least for non-professional use.

take care,

stefano

Yes, I would also say, Stefano is right. There’s no need to create a slice for the first part of the image, export this slice, move the slice to the next position, export it, and so on. I would also suggest to set up as many (overlapping) slices (with probably different aspect ratios) as you want to have printed at the photo laboratory and to export them all at once …

Wouldn’t that work for you?  :)

Kind regards, Alex

Thanks! Slices is what I'm looking for. I can set the ratio, shift+drag it to the size I want, label it, and export selected into what I want them to be.

I was informed that snapping hasn't been integrated yet. I think they might be working on it, but I'm not totally sure.

Thanks for all your help.