You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Panels: enter value + accept -> exit field!

Oh, I hoped we could get rid of this annoyance (semi-bug). When you enter a value, for example a numeric value in stroke width field and then hit enter, that field keeps selected, so if you press P or V or M for any other tool in enters that letter into the field, see Gif below. You need to click anywhere or click the tool to deselect the field.

These "little things" are not so little when they happen so often while working.

image.gif.eaca542b8e4343a82bd239efc84e127b.gif

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

I do not experience this behaviour, and so far as I recall, never have.

Here is a GIF from my system...

2023948769_AffinityTypeInValueEntryBox.gif.20507b51008f872e50f7e04fba686609.gif

I wonder why you are getting different results?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

10 hours ago, Ideagonal said:

Mmm, maybe it is a Mac thing?

This is one of the biggest disappointments with this release. It seems so obvious that it is a bug and it needs to be fixed.

On Mac and complaining about this and the inability to tab between fields for about a year and a half or more now.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I agree that it should do that but here's a tip - press Tab instead of Return. Now Tab should take you to the next text field in the same panel but it doesn't do that. In fact, it does exactly what you want and then you can immediately press the shortcut for another tool.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

10 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I agree that it should do that but here's a tip - press Tab instead of Return. Now Tab should take you to the next text field in the same panel but it doesn't do that. In fact, it does exactly what you want and then you can immediately press the shortcut for another tool.

Yes it works like you say, although is highly counter intuitive as is exactly the opposite as it should be. For example in other panels Tab will take you to the next field, so you need to remember what + where:

image.gif.3a0d15235b1623410606fc9590bd97cf.gif

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

This is one of the biggest disappointments with this release. It seems so obvious that it is a bug and it needs to be fixed.

On Mac and complaining about this and the inability to tab between fields for about a year and a half or more now.

I agree. I think these "simple minor things-bugs" are extremely important. You can need an auto-trace tool for example, but I can fulfil this need with another app (free app Vectornator has a simple useful auto trace tool), but I cannot solve this bug unless I ditch Affinity Designer and, very important, when you have to think 30 times a day what to press tab or enter, or remember to click outside and re-click or click the tool, or to again delete that pesky "v" inside the red higlighted field, then it is not a simple minor bug.

I am not developer but I question, isn't this a universal pattern? I mean, value + enter key exits field, you continue working on the element.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Return not committing and exiting the field on Mac is a bug, we'll get that sorted.

Tab behaviour - sorry yeah, we'll have a review.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 1 year later...

🇬🇧 Hi, I am re-releasing this post. This behavior becomes a daily hassle. Something needs to be done, quickly, please!…

Yes, it would require a robust keyboard shortcut to deselect the focus of value entry fields. In another post on a similar subject, I indicated a solution (?) by clicking on the canvas.

Another track. If we draw a rectangle, enter the thickness of its outline, we can then invoke Command + D to select it. Wouldn't it be practical (and in fact obvious) if at the same time the input field for the thickness of its outline was also deselected?... With Keyboard Maestro you can easily create a macro that fulfills both functions.

🇫🇷 Bonjour, je ressorts ce post. Ce comportement devient une galère au quotidien. Il faut faire quelque chose, rapidement, s'il vous plaît !…

Oui, il faudrait un raccourcis clavier robuste pour désélectionner le focus des champs de saisie de valeur. Dans un autre post sur un sujet similaire, j'ai indiqué pour ma part une solution (?) en clickant sur le canvas.

Autre piste. Si l'on trace un rectangle, que l'on saisisse l'épaisseur de son contour, on peut ensuite invoquer Commande + D pour le sélectionner. Ne serait-ce pas pratique (et en fait évident) qu'en même temps le champ de saisie de l'épaisseur de son contour soit désélectionné aussi ?... Avec Keyboard Maestro on peut facilement créer une macro qui rempli ses deux fonctions.

image.thumb.png.1264aca13f34f122c5828830adce3caf.png

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4