You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Translator export/import of file in Affinity Designer / Publisher

When you design materials with texts (posters, brochures etc.), it is later often necessary to translate the material into another laguage(s) and then you have to make different language versions. Because the translators are usually some third persons (who of course don't have Affinity products, usually not even Macs), you must provide him/her the design in PDF, which he/she translates - either by retyping everything into the new text file, or by using some PDF converter and then rewriting the result. In the end you get some Word file, in which one your text box is three separate text frames, there are spaces instead of tabs and many similar nice things. And you have to orient in all this, copy everything back into your original file and repair all the mess.

My idea is - would it be possible to add export "for translator" that would export all the text content from your Affinity file into the .txt file? You would then give the translator this text file alongside the PDF (because the translator usually still needs to see how the texts are placed in the material), the translator would translate the text file and then send it back to you - you would then just import it back via special command and voila - all the texts in your Affinity file would be replaced with the translations.

Of course the .txt file would have to be arranged inside in some way so Affinity will know what goes to which text frame during importing back. I suppose the objects have some unique identificators already or there could be some identificators generated during export. I can imagine the file like this:

<Affinity54997548784548578a>

Buy our 

<Affinity54997548784548578b>

milk

<Affinity54997548784548579>

It's tasty, it's healthy etc.

(that would be export from the Designer file with two text frames - one with title "Buy our milk", where "milk" would be in different style (hence separated), and second frame with the third text.

Another possibility could be that the order of the texts would be taken (optionally) from the names of the objects - so if there would be many text frames and you would feel that you want set the order by yourself, you could just number the text field and mark during export that it should use the order from the names.

While this whole idea might sound like nothing big with files where are 5 sentences, imagine that you have 100 pages long brochure in the Publisher with tables, pictures with text descriptions etc., and then this whole thing gets translated by one import...

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I’m also very interested in an option like that.
is there any news about it?

I make some manual and have to do it in different languages, will be much more easy to export only text, Traktate it and import it again.

thx
oggy