You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I'd like report a performance issue. 

Affinity Designer
Version: 2.0.0

System:
Apple Mac Studio,
M1 Max, 24c GPU,
32GB memory,
1TB SSD 
macOS:
Ventura 13.0
Display:
LG 27GN950, Displayport 1.4,
Adaptive Sync enabled, 144Hz, 4K
Mouse: 
Logitech G502X,
Polling Rate: 1000Hz, 
DPI: 800 - 8000
(Edit: usually I'm using 3600 - 3800 DPI) 

Settings: 
Hardware acceleration: Metal compute acceleration (Apple M1 Max) ; Display: Metal
(Edit: The issue also seems to occur with OpenGL)

Issue:
Selecting and moving objects appears laggy. I also noticed it when moving folders or files on my Desktop, so it could also be related to macOS Ventura.
Video:
https://youtu.be/kzrrg5mBT30

Repeat:
Open any project and move any objects. 

Greetings, DC9V

I'm not seeing any lag in Affinity or Finder with my M1 Pro and Ventura, there has to be something else going on with your machine but I have no idea what it could be.

macOS file dragging is silky smooth and Affinity is just as smooth even when dragging many complex objects at once.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 11/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, MikeTO said:

I'm not seeing any lag in Affinity or Finder with my M1 Pro and Ventura, there has to be something else going on with your machine but I have no idea what it could be.

macOS file dragging is silky smooth and Affinity is just as smooth even when dragging many complex objects at once.

Hm, that's weird. I'm gonna contact Apple support. 

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 4 weeks later...

Great news!

I've found a simple solution for this issue.

1. Open System Settings
  2. Click: Accessibility -> Display 
  3. Set Pointer Size to Normal
  4. Click Reset Pointer Colours (fill colour: black ; outline colour: white ; 100% opacity)

See video:

• 0:00-0:50 Demonstrating the lag issue in Affinity Designer V2.0.0
  • 0:50-1:46 Solution: Resetting Mouse Pointer in System Settings

@EmT

6 hours ago, DC9V said:

Great news!

1. Open System Settings
  4. Click Reset Pointer Colours (fill colour: black ; outline colour: white ; 100% opacity)

Thanks, I'll check that out later. Not sure I changed any of these settings.

Not a solution anyway - changing such trivial OS settings is not a solution for a program to work properly. I only experience the problem with this mouse in Affinity Designer, not with this mouse in other (similar) programs, while ordinary cheap mice work ok with Affinity.

But now Serif has got a clue to fix the bug in their program. So far, so good.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, DC9V said:

Great news!

1. Open System Settings

Close, but not really.

Performance becomes significantly less poor, but if I compare redraw performance when dragging objects with a cheap mouse, there is still visible lag. Just much less. I can actually manage to see fill in shape being filled in with the high-dpi mouse (albeit quickly), but it's not visible at all when I drag with my cheap normal-dpi mouse.

But thanks a million for the observation. I think that's what you call a breakthrough in the investigation. 😁

@Patrick Connor The good @DC9V has correctly established a connection between high-dpi mouse etc. and redraw performance when accessibility settings for pointers are changed in macOS , but also without changes. Please inform developers about this.

On 11/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, EmT said:

Hi @DC9V

We are aware of this issue and it has been passed over to the devs for further investigation. 

Hi @EmT See above.

• 2 months later...

I've hit this when using a Logitech MX518 here (modern style). I believe it's the mouse report rate, not the DPI, that's the problem. 125 reports/s is fine. 250/s or higher and Affinity siezes up. Affinity's likely being blasted with so many events that it gives up.