You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange artifact when trying to set a round border around text

I would like to set a round border around a piece of text. When I use Align Stroke to Outside, there is a strange artifact appearing. Both the fill and stroke are white - I don't know where is the other one coming from. That's picture 1.

I know I can use Align Stroke To Center, but that doesn't work if I have some transparency. The stroke overlaps with the fill and overlays two semi-transparent colors. I can only use that with 100% alpha color, which is not what I want. That's picture 2.

Does anyone know how I could create semi-transparent bubble around the text without any artifacts?

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 9.38.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 9.46.22 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@gruszczyWelcome to the forums, sorry for the delay.

Can you provide a copy of your document so I can take a look? if the intended design is an all white background have you considered using a Rounded Rectangle inserted behind instead as it wouldn't require a stroke if that is the design but there are other methods available.

What is your app & version? I don't get this artifact in APub v1.
(... although I remember it occurring when the edges of two object touch, caused by antialiasing, as mentioned in the thread linked by Garry).

550354304_textframe-strokefilltransp.thumb.jpg.b69b73aaef7bb7eacec87e4fb862b113.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, gruszczy said:

@thomaso I have trouble replicating your suggestion. How do I go about it?

1. Create a rounded rectangle.
2. Select the Text Tool (T) and hover over the rectangle to make the cursor change:

1936796923_roundedtextframe1.jpg.b55a5d1181a90e2ee8eded223464867a.jpg

3. Click to make the object turn into a Shape Text frame:

1698058525_roundedtextframe2.jpg.d42e1824964687c00cd3edd45a5278b7.jpg

4. Set the frame parameters as wanted / e.g. shown in the previous screenshot above.
5. To define the frame fill transparency choose the opacity slider in the Frame Panel > Fill > Colour.
6. To adjust the rectangle corner radius select the Shape Tool.
7. If you choose for the text not the Top Align but the Centre Vertically option then you may want different (or none) insets for top / bottom than for left / right.

Alternative:
Define the visual "stroke" around the text not as insets in the Frame Text Panel but use the Paragraph Panel > Indent (left + right) and Space before:

1509722044_roundedtextframeparagraphstyle.thumb.jpg.851f21f81294c597095ee09c7dc12acd.jpg

Note, this method defines the bottom "stroke" around the text by the frame height only.

The advantage is that you can save this as text style and refine the settings at any time for all existing objects at once – while the insets option via Text Frame panel would require to select all existing Text Frames to adjust their insets.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso I am trying to follow the first approach, but it seems like I will need to manually fix every box to fit the size of the text? I would like to avoid that. I want it to grow automatically to the size of the text, but it's not happening right now. I don't want to go over 150 text boxes and manually fix their width. I would like the width to be generated automatically. Is that possible here?