You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DWG import broken

Dampsquid

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, EmT said:

Thanks @Dampsquid

Is it only this dwg file you are having issues with? 

I've passed this over to the devs to investigate. 

No, not the only one. Others from the same project all exhibit the same issue. The one I sent via dropbox didn't open after some hours. Woke this morning to find the Mac had restarted during the night - whether that was because of this issue or something else, I don't know.

While trying to open the file Designer won't quit. It also has my CPU pegged around 580% (6 core machine). Illustrator opened it no problem (FWIW).

• Staff

Hi @Dampsquid,

I've taken a look and the problem stems from a dodgy linetype.  I'm guessing it's present in all files from the same project, which is why they've all been misbehaving.  I've fixed the problem this causes in Designer and the fix will be present in the next update.

Once you've got an updated version, you may want to turn on the Hairline view mode when you import the file.  With it disabled, we render lines with the correct line weight, which is often sub-mm in thickness.  Your model is quite big, so having a zoom level where it fits on the screen means your lines will be very thin / invisible.  Enabling Hairline mode will render them the same as Autocad and you will see them regardless of zoom level.  Alternatively you could enable "Fit model to page" and/or "Override line weights" when importing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tim, 

I've upgraded to V2 Universal license so using Designer 2.03, but I still have the above situation with one specific .dwg file. It opens in Autocad TrueView 2023 but takes time, TrueView reports that it had to be recovered and errors were repaired and an element deleted, so it has/had something strange in it. After the TrueView repair it still wouldn't open in Designer, just hangs on Loading 1 document

Also, I see that it was created with AutoCAD 2011 so a bit old when the final revision was published in January 2020.

My other .dwg and .dxf files open properly. It's not a problem for my work right now so no urgency, perhaps your devs could take a look at it to see what gremlin is hidden inside. I would have to send it to you privately. 

Hello Dampsquid -- have had luck opening your CAD files with Designer 2.03? 

On 12/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, Dampsquid said:

Sweet!  Thanks for the update!

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated! 

Kevin

Hi Tim, 

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated. I agree it must be a bad file, I found on the Autodesk website some sample .dwg files and they all open correctly. I don't want to bother the support team as this isn't a working file for me, I'm sure they have plenty to do already. I don't see any recent forum posts about opening .dwg files, so Designer 2.03 must have solved the problem and that's good enough for me. 

Or, if they want to research what gremlin is causing Designer to hang, then I can send them a copy, just keep it in-house and yes a private upload link to send it. 

Thanks & Regards, Kevin

On 1/26/2023 at 2:34 AM, Kevin B said:

Hi Tim, 

I've upgraded to V2 Universal license so using Designer 2.03, but I still have the above situation with one specific .dwg file. It opens in Autocad TrueView 2023 but takes time, TrueView reports that it had to be recovered and errors were repaired and an element deleted, so it has/had something strange in it. After the TrueView repair it still wouldn't open in Designer, just hangs on Loading 1 document

Also, I see that it was created with AutoCAD 2011 so a bit old when the final revision was published in January 2020.

My other .dwg and .dxf files open properly. It's not a problem for my work right now so no urgency, perhaps your devs could take a look at it to see what gremlin is hidden inside. I would have to send it to you privately. 

Hello Dampsquid -- have had luck opening your CAD files with Designer 2.03? 

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated! 

Kevin

Yes indeed, all the acad files I've tried since have opened successfully.

• Staff
On 1/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, Tim France said:

Are you able to publicly share a copy of the file here so I can take a look?

On 1/26/2023 at 5:29 PM, Kevin B said:

I don't want to bother the support team as this isn't a working file for me, I'm sure they have plenty to do already

That's thoughtful, but Tim Is the Senior Software Developer responsible for this feature, and he thought it may be worth his time ! I will get you a private upload link for us to look 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Good Morning Gabe, 

Thanks for the link and the file is uploaded to Dropbox.

I tried again to open with Designer 2.04 but still the same symptoms, Designer hangs on "Loading 1 document" and finally I have to close it with Windows 11 Task Manager. This isn't a working file for me so no hurry on my part. If and when you find the gremlin then let me know here just to satisfy my curiosity.

My other .dwg files open quickly in Designer and I'm very happy with the new CAD fill access; converting .dwg straight to .afdesign is surely much better than passing it thru .pdf format -- excellent work by the CAD team! 

Thanks & Regards, Kevin

• Staff

Hi @Kevin B,

I've taken a look at your document.  It is indeed broken and does cause an infinite loop when Affinity tries to work out what one of the linetypes is.  Once I got AutoCAD to repair it, Designer did manage to load it, but because it is a HUGE document, it did take a while - I'd recommend not choosing All Pages when you import it because it will try and create a document with over 5 million objects in it!  On my machine, opening just the model of the recovered document takes about 8 seconds.

I'll put some extra checks and try and do something sensible.  The document may look wrong when this happens though.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim, 

Thank you for the update and I'm happy that you found the gremlin in that file, maybe it's useful as a "worst case scenario" to see how wonky a .dwg can become. 

That's an archived file so no big deal on how it turns out, when convenient you can send me whatever you come up with and I'll try to open it here, and yes it's bulky with lots of little objects. 

Thanks for the excellent support, it's much appreciated! 

Kind Regards, Kevin

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "DWG file stuck on loading" (REF: AF-346) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I also have a (somewhat large) DXF file that I've received from a manufacturer which Affinity Designer 2 isn't able to open. It's giving me this error and then I get a blank/no result:

Unsupported entities detected during import.
AcDb3dSolid (1 entity, 1 instance)

Perhaps you can look into this one as well (see the attached DXF file). Thank you very much! :)

Cheers,
Maarten

UBG_221_116.dxf

Hi @MaartenNL,

As far as I'm aware the error means that Affinity Apps recognize the 3D-Solid, but the import procedure does not support it, though I'm sure someone from the Serif team can confirm whether this is indeed the case.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff
9 hours ago, MaartenNL said:

Hi,

I also have a (somewhat large) DXF file that I've received from a manufacturer which Affinity Designer 2 isn't able to open. It's giving me this error and then I get a blank/no result:

Unsupported entities detected during import.
AcDb3dSolid (1 entity, 1 instance)

Perhaps you can look into this one as well (see the attached DXF file). Thank you very much! :)

Cheers,
Maarten

UBG_221_116.dxf 29.52 MB · 3 downloads

Hi MaartenNL,
Welcome to the forums!

Hangman is correct - your file contains a single 3D Solid which are not supported inside Affinity, so the message you're seeing is correct - the import has detected it, but informs you that it is unsupported.

image.png