You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One time payment they said, free updates they said

Hammer? Meet nail. Ho-hum.

While many of you were posting in here, and in other threads regarding the hammer/nail controversies, I formatted another ebook for POD printing. The POD book is currently uploaded and is available on Ingram Spark and Amazon.

Oh, and I used the apparently unusable Publisher V2, of which I have a shortcut on my Win11 x64 laptop taskbar. I had such a shortcut on my desktop, too, but I deleted it. (But that's another thread, so to speak.)

I paid 99 bucks for the "full meal deal", and I don't even own an Apple product, thank goodness for that. (That's another can of worms, thanks to the Apple /// and Lisa debacles, but I digress.) (That's also another thread, but don't take it personally, all you Apple users.)

So, ya, I'm a happy user. Now, back to work. 😇

Oopsie, one more thing: I bought direct from the Affinity store, so there's that.

* sings * Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go.

I worked with Adobe Phtoshop 1 (not cs1). It was terrible! There were bugs without end. Hundreds of functions, without which it seems impossible to survive today, were completely missing. I paid $895 for the Photoshop software "version 1" in 1990. 
Editable text was available after the 5th version to pay for. At that time, foreign languages were still unthinkable! Between 800 and 1000 dollars each. And that was ONLY the price for Photoshop, not a suite.

Today the Adobe Suite costs 743.40 euros - every year and if you don't pay, nothing works anymore.

Is anyone here really upset because of a one-off cost of 120 euros? For a programm that is not perfect (neither is Photoshop), but which covers 95% of the functions of the three corresponding programmes?

15 minutes ago, Adobe Certified Expert said:

I worked with Adobe Phtoshop 1 (not cs1). It was terrible! There were bugs without end. Hundreds of functions, without which it seems impossible to survive today, were completely missing. I paid $895 for the Photoshop software "version 1" in 1990. 
Editable text was available after the 5th version to pay for. At that time, foreign languages were still unthinkable! Between 800 and 1000 dollars each. And that was ONLY the price for Photoshop, not a suite.

Today the Adobe Suite costs 743.40 euros - every year and if you don't pay, nothing works anymore.

Is anyone here really upset because of a one-off cost of 120 euros? For a programm that is not perfect (neither is Photoshop), but which covers 95% of the functions of the three corresponding programmes?

I am not. I think it's a very reasonable price given what you get...

If you're used to other prices, this is a no brainer. Some  plug-ins for Photoshop were more expensive then the whole suite today. The plug-ins for Illustrator from Astute Graphics for instance, wich are brilliant, cost way more then the suite.....If you see everything in perspective, it's really not that bad at all.

I already own v2...Now to get the grips of the new features...I am confident they will add more cool stuff to v2.......

42 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

It should not take that long, if they decided to do it. Perhaps it is not a priority for them. You seem to assume that they have decided to do it at all.

I can see why footnotes, endnotes en sidenotes were given priority....Everybody was screaming for them.....Just a matter of priority...It might still come to v2.01.

If you have limited manpower, you have to set priorities...It's not like Adobe that they have development teams for every new feature......

As Adobe Certified Expert said, the first incarnations of Photoshop were far from perfect either. Give them time...

53 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

And here it goes again. One would think people had accepted finally that support for Arabic script is not important to Serif. It really starts to grind my nerves 8(

There was a version of Pageplus X5 by serif which supported RTL. I believe the version was done in collaboration with others. It had a limited run.

I agree that in a worldwide market, RTL would be a boon to the Affinity apps. However, it may be that specialiy trained coders need to be brought in to explain the algorithms that are used for such rendering of RTL cursive text. They would then need to find a way to intergrate the algorithms with their own LTR algorithms. They would also need to implement the overriding algorithm to detect changes between the two rendering styles per word, line or paragraph.

And then there is the spell-checking implementation to consider.

The next request will be support for TTB textual rendering. That sounds like it could be another complex but interesting challenge.