You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One time payment they said, free updates they said

First of all, I would like to express my great disappointment, I know that a great portion of people here may disagree with me.

Just imagine how it happened:

1. Release version 1

2. Users request tons of essential features, for me, mainly RTL support which is ESSENTIAL
"AWARD WINNING" software in "2022", and still no RTL support, I can't figure out how I paid for a software that can't type in Arabic lol

3. Release tons of updates with more bugs and glitches appearing every update

4. Fix bugs, new bugs appear

5. Development team is done with those bugs

6. Throw version 1 all together and release version 2

Perfect plan. Oh, I almost forgot, you're most likely to delete this post as it's "violating terms" ha ha ha.

I may disagree with you regarding the cost..Development always deserves support..but I agree with you regarding support for the Arabic language, which is a primitive feature that many have requested for five years..and yet the slow developer who has been unable to solve the problem for years and years ignores it, even though it is a primitive feature.. I do not mind supporting the company and even bought the new package.. but I felt frustrated and even defrauded due to the lack of real development or a solution to a permanent problem for years.. I hope the company will provide us with a solution to this problem with the same seriousness that it cares about in sales and marketing.. Very frustrated. Instead of congratulating you on the new release, I feel that I have been scammed.. Please accept our opinions with open arms and try to solve the shameful problem.

1 minute ago, chakko007 said:

For what it's worth, I expected a paid upgrade (or, rather, a new paid version) at some point, and, I think it was also communicated. 

What I don't like is that they raise and raise the prices though. I got the Affinity apps for their low costs, which was a big argument. It's getting smaller and smaller.

All editions, all platforms, no subscription. 120 Euro for the coming years. I paid over 200 for InDesign alone - for one year. It's a no-brainer - for me, and thousands of other customers, too.

2 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

For what it's worth, I expected a paid upgrade (or, rather, a new paid version) at some point, and, I think it was also communicated. 

What I don't like is that they raise and raise the prices though. I got the Affinity apps for their low costs, which was a big argument. It's getting smaller and smaller.

Everything else is getting more expensive, so why shouldn't Afiinity raise prices? 

1 minute ago, Tourmaline said:

Everything else is getting more expensive, so why shouldn't Afiinity raise prices? 

I don't see everyone else raising the prices 60% of what the stuff originally cost.

Apart from "Everything is more expensive" not really being a good argument, especially when you also have to make a living and justify the costs of the things you buy.

Why not raise the prices another 100%? Everything is getting more expensive, so?

Yeah, bad argument really.

5 minutes ago, ADesigner said:

I may disagree with you regarding the cost..Development always deserves support..but I agree with you regarding support for the Arabic language, which is a primitive feature that many have requested for five years..and yet the slow developer who has been unable to solve the problem for years and years ignores it, even though it is a primitive feature.. I do not mind supporting the company and even bought the new package.. but I felt frustrated and even defrauded due to the lack of real development or a solution to a permanent problem for years.. I hope the company will provide us with a solution to this problem with the same seriousness that it cares about in sales and marketing.. Very frustrated. Instead of congratulating you on the new release, I feel that I have been scammed.. Please accept our opinions with open arms and try to solve the shameful problem.

You got the exact point, developers can develop a "version 2" with "a lot of new features and redesigned UI" but can't figure how to develop Arabic support.

Just now, chakko007 said:

I don't see everyone else raising the prices 60% of what the stuff originally cost.

Apart from "Everything is more expensive" not really being a good argument, especially when you also have to make a living and justify the costs of the things you buy.

Why not raise the prices another 100%? Everything is getting more expensive, so?

Yeah, bad argument really.

Not really, why should Serif not be able to raise prices when everybody else is doing it? Just to accomodate you?

Gas and electrical bill is also more expensive for them, just like anybody else.....

4 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

@HelmarIf you compare the price to the industry standard, yes. The question is, should you compare it to the industry standard. 

I know they do a lot of marketing in that regard. But, IMO, the Adobe apps are still ahead in pretty much everything.

No Arabic support in an "Award winning software" in "2022", no thanks, they're really too far from industry standard.

11 minutes ago, Helmar said:

Inform yourself before you buy. Don't come and bitch. Express some gratitude for all the effort made. I didn't bitch, and I got with V2 what I needed: footnotes and 3d mesh. Everything else is bonus. Happily paid for this new version. Looking forward to more! 

I'm not bitching, you're the one that is praising their effort way too much. They simply let version 1 users burn with all those bugs and unfinished features or essential features that have not been developed at all

13 minutes ago, BitzSec said:

I know that a great portion of people here may disagree with me.

Whether or not V2 is worth the price to pay again is a fair question for each person to answer for himself, and I don't mean to argue that point.

What I would like to point out, however, is that Affinity did not promise free updates on future versions. They have said all along that all of the V1 apps would have free updates, but eventually they would need to release new versions to continue funding development (and growing the company, as companies need to do). I wonder if people misunderstood the marketing vis-a-vis Adobe, where, instead of forever subscriptions, the apps (V1) was a 1-time purchase. And Serif really did support that for quite some time (between 8 to 3.25 years, depending on which app we are talking about).

18 minutes ago, BitzSec said:

Oh, I almost forgot, you're most likely to delete this post as it's "violating terms" ha ha ha.

No fear, you haven't violated the TOS for stating your opinion. Serif is a respectable company and welcomes your opinions, even the critical ones.

1 minute ago, chakko007 said:

@HelmarIf you compare the price to the industry standard, yes. The question is, should you compare it to the industry standard. 

I know they do a lot of marketing in that regard. But, IMO, the Adobe apps are still ahead in pretty much everything.

I tend to support the small guys, knowing they don't offer everything the big guns do. But the big ones are the abusive ones, and Serif has thus far pleased me no end - feature- and price-wise. I'm happy to be Adobe-free, and I'm looking forward to more great Affinity features, while respecting the disappointment of those who expected more. For them there's always Adobe. 

In terms of money, my financial support of Serif is a given, for obvious reasons. I'm grateful Affinity exists, and offers what it does. Here's to more!

6 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

They are also longer in development. Compare Adobe v2 to Affinity v2.....

8 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Where is the price increase?

If you don't see the price increase of a software originally sold for 49,99 € to 84,99 € as it is sold now, then you're blindfold.

But, if you want to stick to discounts, how about this: I bought APhoto and ADesigner for 27 € each. The discounted prices for the v2 apps are 48,99 € each. Yes, that's more expensive.

5 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

They are also longer in development. Compare Adobe v2 to Affinity v2.....

We'll see what the Affinity apps' price is when they reached v24 or whatever Photoshop is now. ;)

Anyway, I never thought that comparison is really fair. Not to Affinity, nor to the Adobe apps. It's kind of a desperate argument, when people try to find reasons for the one or the other.

2 minutes ago, Helmar said:

I tend to support the small guys, knowing they don't offer everything the big guns do. But the big ones are the abusive ones, and Serif has thus far pleased me no end - feature- and price-wise. I'm happy to be Adobe-free, and I'm looking forward to more great Affinity features, while respecting the disappointment of those who expected more. For them there's always Adobe. 

In terms of money, my financial support of Serif is a given, for obvious reasons. I'm grateful Affinity exists, and offers what it does. Here's to more!

Not familiar with the latest boo boo of Adobe and Pantone? Pantone doesn't work anymore in the latest version of Photoshop unless you pay for a subscription to Pantone...

Now that is rediculous.

Surprisingly, some people do not understand that the first version is dead and will not receive any updates in the future .. although there are primitive bugs that have not been resolved or even patched ... Imagine for a moment that the program that you use for design, you cannot use a text editor in it and that you You cannot write for a logo design, for example, or something else... This is the shameful point.. You reproduce the same product and resell it.. You kill the old product with its mistakes, as if nothing had happened. Originally... Once again, try to imagine that you cannot write or design text in a design program.. It's a shameful thing V1 V2 V100 

For the record, I updated and bought all the new programs today and did not find a solution to the problem in the first place..

5 minutes ago, BitzSec said:

I'm not bitching, you're the one that is praising their effort way too much. They simply let version 1 users burn with all those bugs and unfinished features or essential features that have not been developed at all

That's life, I'm afraid. To expect perfection for this little money is delusional. Bugs will exist as long as software does, and yes, it would be nice if v1 was bug free. It isn't. Period. If you feel v2 is worth the cost, order it. If not, move on. Complaining here doesn't help or change anything. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

If you don't see the price increase of a software originally sold for 49,99 € to 84,99 € as it is sold now, then you're blindfold.

We'll see what the Affinity apps' price is when they reached v24 or whatever Photoshop is now. ;)

Anyway, I never thought that comparison is really fair. Not to Affinity, nor to the Adobe apps. It's kind of a desperate argument, when people try to find reasons for the one or the other.

You are blindfolded. Introductory price is way less...€120 for 3 apps and universal license is a great deal....That's €40 per app, less then your original price...

Prices might drop in time, as they have done in the past and lots of rebates...

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I don't really want to get into an argument about this. Perhaps you don't program? I've programmed professionally for more than 25 years. I don't do graphics software. But I have often encountered people over the years who think that such and such a thing is easy or primitive to program when it is not.

100%

5 minutes ago, Tourmaline said:

You are blindfolded. Introductory price is way less...€120 for 3 apps and universal license is a great deal....That's €40 per app, less then your original price...

Why do you compare apples to oranges? You compare a discounted price to a non discounted price.

Already told you that I bought APhoto and ADesigner for 27 € each, which would be much less for all 3 apps.