You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

scissors tool does not create multiple layers when multiple open lineshapes have been created by cutting

Although the knife tools works as expected, the scissors tool does not. If you just open up one node, it behaves correctly. But if you open up more then one node it actually creates 2 lineobjects that are not seperated on two layers, I use the scissors tools (in Illustrator) mainly for cutting objects that should stay open (no fill, just two open line objects) In this scenario the scissors tool is not usable since you then have two nodes on top of each other on the same layer making it impossible to select the correct node. Please fix this.

It may not be what you're looking for or work in the same way as Illustrator but once cut you can use Geometry > Separate Curves to split the cut curve onto multiple layers and if you use regularly, set up a keyboard shortcut for it.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hopefully, this is the kind of thing you're looking to achieve?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Cool, thanks so much for the video, made it so much clearer. I did use the form tool for making a square and did not transform the square to curves before doing this. When transforming the square to curves and then using the scissors tool everything seems to work fine. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 1:57 AM, Hangman said:

Hopefully, this is the kind of thing you're looking to achieve?

If I go into a complex drawing click on a few parts and do a few snips, how do I know from the layers panel that the object is made up of multiple objects?  The layer name in V1 used to be showing Curves if multiple.  Now it's still showing Curve.  And if I have assigned a name to the object even the Curve is gone.  Am I missing something in V2?  Or, do I have to grab all layers in the drawing and do a separate curves?

Actually if a name hasn't been assigned to the layer I find that after doing more work on the drawing, suddenly the Curve changes to Curves.  Not sure what triggered it.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff
On 12/3/2022 at 4:05 PM, Gear maker said:

Actually if a name hasn't been assigned to the layer I find that after doing more work on the drawing, suddenly the Curve changes to Curves.  Not sure what triggered it.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue here and I'm getting it logged with our devs - as this object should be named 'Curves' when it's created, but it appears not to update until a new, separate layer is added to the canvas.

Thanks for your report :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue here and I'm getting it logged with our devs - as this object should be named 'Curves' when it's created, but it appears not to update until a new, separate layer is added to the canvas.

Thanks for your report :)

Thanks for figuring out what triggered it.  And getting it fixed.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra