You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

buy affinity v2 in app store or in Affinity Store?

There is no upgrade from V1, @kat. Everyone gets the same price for this new version.

I think it's better for Serif if you buy from them. For you, I'm not sure which is best. From the posts here in the forums it seems like some users are having problems using the Universal Licenses they purchased from the Mac App Store. I'm sure they will be resolved shortly, but at the moment using a Universal License purchased from Serif might be easier (and avoid some of the reported problems).

On the other hand, it means you will need to download/install the apps yourself, rather than letting the App Store handle that for you.

On yet another hand, if the Universal Licenses work correctly, you should be able to purchase and download from the Affinity Store now, and later change over to using the Mac App Store version without added cost, as the license would cover all 3 apps from any store.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, kat said:

Affinity store notification never let me know to upgrade like the app store did within AD & AP

That's odd. But probably not worth trying to figure out at this point. :) 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

That's what I think, kat. And yes, they should all work in V2 (and, with luck, will all migrate over seamlessly into V2).

But I can't explain why you weren't being notified of updates before, if that's important to you. (There are other notification methods, such as Following Patrick's notification topics in the News & Information section of the forums. And the notification methodology may also have been updated in V2 and work differently/better.)

Edit: And, of course, I'm just a user. This can't be construed as any kind of official recommendation :) 

-- Walt
PC:

What I would probably recommend is: Download them from the Affinity Store. Try them for a month and see if you like how they work. If so, then purchase. Note that you can purchase separately from the downloading, and use in Trial mode for a month.

-- Walt
PC:

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On the other hand, it means you will need to download/install the apps yourself, rather than letting the App Store handle that for you.

At least for the macOS versions, I can confirm that this is not true. I downloaded all three Affinity apps from the Mac App Store, yet was able to activate them using the universal licence I purchased at the Affinity Store. There was never really any need for me to use the application bundles provided by Serif in the downloads section of their store.

For what it's worth.. I always prefer to buy directly from SW companies; I do not care much for Apple Store controls, albeit convenient in many cases. Buying directly from Affinity gives them a financial margin, too, which I much prefer they get.

Mac mini M1 2020 / macOS Big Sur 11.6
Processor: Apple M1Memory:  16 GB

macOS: Ventura 13.5
Affinity Publisher 2.2.0   / Affinity Designer 2.1.1

11 minutes ago, kat said:

I just bought Affinity v2 from the Affinity Store. I'm on Mojave OS 10.14.6. System requirements say v2 won't work on my Mac. How do I get a refund to my card? So Sad.

It is, contact Affinity as you are entitled to a refund particularly as you only just purchased.

Returns and Refunds

What is your returns policy?

We want you to be 100% satisfied with your Affinity purchase. If you are not satisfied with your product for any reason, you may return it within a 14 day period after receipt of your product to receive a full refund. Please email affinityreturns@serif.com with your name, order number and reason for returning the item to begin the process. If you are returning a physical item a returns label will be emailed to you for printing. If you do not have access to a printer, a physical label can be dispatched to you upon request. After receipt of the return at Serif, a refund will be authorised within 2-3 days.

Please note – postage and packaging charges for returns of physical items are your responsibility. We strongly recommend you ask for a proof of postage in case the parcel goes missing on its way back to us, as we won’t be able to process your refund until we receive the item.

Edited by Geminitiger

17 minutes ago, jochoalions said:

Buying directly from Affinity gives them a financial margin, too, which I much prefer they get.

Yes, I can relate to that. Buying directly from Serif saves them the 30 percent cut they'd normally have to pay to Apple. The cool thing about Affinity v2 is that we can have both because the universal license seems to work independently from where it has been purchased (again, that's just my experience with macOS, but as I understand the FAQ, it should be the same on other platforms). You get the ease of use and update handling convenience by installing the apps from the App Store, yet can fully support the developer by placing your license order in the Affinity Store.