You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fix for installing MSIX files

eddyviv

Ok this was a major pain in @@@.

So the only way to get the programs to be installed under windows 10 is to have the following:

Go to the windows store

Get the App Installer 

Run the MSIX files 

But that didn't work for me I had to do some major changes to windows to get everything up and running. 
I still got the error: Powershell Get-AppxPackage not working

Do the following:

• press Win + R
  • write regedit (and press enter)
  • go to the registry value: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppXSvc
  • on the right hand side, double click on start
  • Change the value to 2. (Mine was set to 4).
  • press ok and restart your computer.

Once restarted open the MSIX file you are trying to install and it works... 
This was not a nice thing to do as an experienced Windows user even. Change your installing type Seriff. 
If I couldn't get this to work tonight I would have refunded tomorrow.

I hope this helps out others as well. 

1 hour ago, TPVPRO said:

How about Affinity just make something that works for $100 gimp works and it is free. "No Excesses"  I also will ask for a refund soon is not fixed 🤦‍♂️ Nothing but bugs all the time.

Really?! Then use GIMP!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

16 hours ago, eddyviv said:

So the only way to get the programs to be installed under windows 10 is to have the following:

Go to the windows store

Get the App Installer 

Run the MSIX files 

But that didn't work for me I had to do some major changes to windows to get everything up and running. 

Do the following:

• press Win + R
  • go to the registry value: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppXSvc

This was not a nice thing to do as an experienced Windows user even. Change your installing type Seriff. 

I have windows 10 pro, msix files are not associated with any program. Do I have to download any special application from the Microsoft store? do I have to edit the windows registry additionally? is this the only way to do it?

1 minute ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi @selenita

Please ensure you are using Windows 11 or Windows 10 May 2020 Update (2004, 20H1, build 19041) or later and have installed the Microsoft App installer available here: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/app-installer/9NBLGGH4NNS1

Lee

Not everyone has the option to upgrade windows or use the Microsoft Store. Anyone in a large corporate environment likely has no ability to update, nor access to the Microsoft Store.

1 minute ago, MattyIsHere said:

Not everyone has the option to upgrade windows or use the Microsoft Store. Anyone in a large corporate environment likely has no ability to update, nor access to the Microsoft Store.

Well I'm using a Windows 10 pro 17134 compilation. What can I do to install my V2 new apps?

1 minute ago, MattyIsHere said:

Anyone in a large corporate environment likely has no ability to update, nor access to the Microsoft Store.

Which is the way it should be

Contact your IT support department for stuff like this.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, carl123 said:

Which is the way it should be

Contact your IT support department for stuff like this.

Then the IT department of the parent company says no. They do upgrades across tens of thousands of machines across the world. If something goes wrong, people can literally die in our industry. They're not going to care that some users can't use this software. The software works on those versions of Windows, it's just the installer that doesn't. It was not a smart decision for Affinity to exclude users like this over an installer...

1 hour ago, selenita said:

I have windows 10 pro, msix files are not associated with any program. Do I have to download any special application from the Microsoft store? do I have to edit the windows registry additionally? is this the only way to do it?

You can download the app installer from the windows store. 

I had no problem installing V2 on my Win 10 pro PC but I wasn't given the choice of where to install it so I assumed it would upgrade V1 at that location. It didn't so I'm now left with both versions, V2 on the windows SSD whereas all my other apps are on a separate SSD. Anyone know how to get V2 where I want it?

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

These are the minimum requirements specified on our store.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/

Lee

With no mention of the need to use an app installer - which doesn't help anyway: Photo 2 apparently installs, but on opening I get a splash screen and nothing else. 

Keith Reeder

1 hour ago, albas said:

I had no problem installing V2 on my Win 10 pro PC but I wasn't given the choice of where to install it so I assumed it would upgrade V1 at that location. It didn't so I'm now left with both versions, V2 on the windows SSD whereas all my other apps are on a separate SSD. Anyone know how to get V2 where I want it?

I've managed to move it to my apps SSD, but not in the folder I would have chosen. C'est la vie, I'll just have to live with it

I tried all the 'fixes' listed in the forums and this is what worked for me:

You probably do not have this updated VC LIBS package installed which is the following (with download link)

Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.14.00.Desktop here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102159

download the package

if you have the Microsoft App installer enabled, clicking the downloaded appx file will install it.

check to make sure the VC LIB file was installed by looking at your list of installed programs (Settings, Apps, Apps and features) as shown in image file below:

REboot your machine and then try installing the Affinity msix file

if you cannot install it with the method above, then try using Powershell as described in the article below (this is the  method I used) make sure you run Powershell 'as an administrator)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-install-unsigned-appx-app-package-using-powershell-in-windows-10

I hope this helps but I still think Affinity should create a traditional loader for those who simply want to use the software and not have to go through all these hoops (I spen the better part of my morning, not doing post processing, but figuring our how to get this to work

laz

vc.JPG.1909ce68e547ab923a44eef89236352a.JPG

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:04 PM, TPVPRO said:

How about Affinity just make something that works for $100 gimp works and it is free. "No Excesses"  I also will ask for a refund soon is not fixed 🤦‍♂️ Nothing but bugs all the time.

I already emailed them for a refund. I don't have time for this hot mess of a software release. 

I will continue to use Affinity photo one like I have been for years. I set it up with DXOPhotolab2 to DXOPhotolab5 for dxophotolab to send the TIIF file to Affinity photo, as others have done the same with DXO or LR. It was a one time set it and forget it process. 

Affinity or any other software company is not paying me to do software fixes for them. I do photography. 

If your product is flaky I will not use it. 

1 hour ago, Keith Reeder said:

Kinda missing the point there, Ronny...

Nah… it was on point. Useless complaining and comparing don’t add any value. He’s happy with GIMP, he can keep using it. Otherwise add some detail and see if the community can you help figure it out.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

4 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Useless complaining and comparing don’t add any value.

I don't think you get to decide what's "useless", Ronny: particularly when the point being made - that we can apparently expect more from a pretty grim piece of Open Source software than we can from a supposedly cutting-edge, customer-focused commercial solution - is precisely to the point.

Keith Reeder

On 11/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, Keith Reeder said:

I don't think you get to decide what's "useless", Ronny: particularly when the point being made - that we can apparently expect more from a pretty grim piece of Open Source software than we can from a supposedly cutting-edge, customer-focused commercial solution - is precisely to the point.

@Keith ReederSure I do. So do you. Just as you decided above that I can’t decide for myself what is useless or not, I get to decide what I find useless in others’ comments. Funny how that works… I call it freedom of speech and thought. We all have it.

Back to the point: post something specific so the community can help you or go use GIMP since it’s free and it works, right? Useless complaining doesn’t help anyone’s cause and only clogs the forums, preventing those with actionable questions from finding solutions and get work done. 

1 hour ago, ronnyb said:

Sure I do. Just as you decided above that I can’t decide for myself what is useless or not, I get to decide what I find useless in others’ comments. Funny how that works… I call it freedom of speech and thought. We all have it.

Back to the point: post something specific so the community can help you or go use GIMP since it’s free and it works, right? Useless complaining doesn’t help anyone’s cause and only clogs the forums, preventing those with actionable questions from finding solutions and get work done. 

Stop making excuses for Serif and a hot mess of a software release. Especially one that they charge people money for. 

37 minutes ago, cybertec69 said:

Stop making excuses for Serif and a hot mess of a software release. Especially one that they charge people money for. 

Excuses? No one is making excuses, and even if they were, it's not your place to dictate what they may or may not do. You want help, answers or just to launch attacks? IF it's the latter, no one asks for or needs that.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 11/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, selenita said:

Well I'm using a Windows 10 pro 17134 compilation. What can I do to install my V2 new apps?

Upgrade your Win 10 Pro to v19041, download from the Windows site if it doesn’t show in updates available.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 11/9/2022 at 4:00 PM, eddyviv said:

Go to the windows store

Get the App Installer 

Run the MSIX files 

Do the following:

• press Win + R

This solution did NOT work for me. I get the same exact message that I got before the registry edit. The message is attached.

What do you mean by "Change your installing type Seriff"?

Screenshot-000526.png