You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fix for installing MSIX files

eddyviv

On 11/10/2022 at 2:32 PM, carl123 said:

Which is the way it should be

Contact your IT support department for stuff like this.

Well those oler version are verty likely LTSB versions. So from IT corporate perspective those versions are up to date.

No corporation will update unless absolutely requiered and for sure not because you can't install V2.

I do understand the motivation of using MSIX from Serif however they should provide update possibilities for the LTSB Versions as well as ways to use it as satndard Editor and run it from DXO or other programms.

• Staff
8 hours ago, WCHettel said:

This solution did NOT work for me. I get the same exact message that I got before the registry edit. The message is attached.

What do you mean by "Change your installing type Seriff"?

Screenshot-000526.png

Which version of Windows are you running and do have App Installer installed?

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/app-installer/9NBLGGH4NNS1

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

Which version of Windows are you running and do have App Installer installed?

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/app-installer/9NBLGGH4NNS1

Windows 10 Pro, v21H2. I think I have the App Installer installed on my PC. But, when I clicked on your link to the App Store and then clicked on the "Get in Store app" button, I get the attached message. Something has obviously gone bonkers on my PC, but I don't know what to do to fix it. I have downloaded several apps from the App Store in the past with no problems. This is the first problem like this I've had on my PC. Everything else seems to be running smoothly.

Thanks for your help!

Screenshot-000530.png

22 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

Stop making excuses for Serif and a hot mess of a software release. Especially one that they charge people money for. 

You miss the point. Yea they charge people money for the amazing software, and... what's your point? It has bugs? Yes, and... what's your point? Does Adoblow™ ransomware have bugs for years and years? Yes. Do they charge? an arm and a leg...

Take a deep breath, maybe a brisk walk, and have a little patience... I'm sure you'll soon realize, like ALL x.0 software releases filled with new feature, it's inevitable for new bugs to arise in Affinity2.0. What happens is there is an x.1 release, where a slew of bugs are fixed from more user feedback. So just give the feedback, skip the drama, and keep the forums useful to all people. Unless you're a troll. If so, GO. Cheers mate!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

25 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

You miss the point.

He's making a perfectly valid point.

Part of the price of entry we pay for is the legitimate expectation that we don't need to use workarounds, change workflows, and otherwise have to change what we do, in order to comply with and facilitate an arbitrary and self-evidently not customer-focused delivery decision - a decision which might suit the software developer but which unquestionably fails to meet the expectations of an evidently significant subset of the customer base.

Keith Reeder

• Staff

Please don't try to guess at other people's motives. Serif don't need it and it goes against the posting rules. 

Enough 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

23 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Excuses? No one is making excuses, and even if they were, it's not your place to dictate what they may or may not do. You want help, answers or just to launch attacks? IF it's the latter, no one asks for or needs that.

I am not here "that would be you and a few others in here" to make excuses for a hot mess of a software release that Serif foisted upon their paying customers. 

I am sure the people at Serif are not too pleased with whoever it was that did not do their do diligence before releasing this hot mess to their paying customers. 

I am not sweating it, I have already asked for my refund, as I know many others have done the same. 

Will stick with Affinity Photo one, it's been working like a charm for me for five years now. And I can see it in my programs folder directory.

• Staff
14 hours ago, WCHettel said:

Windows 10 Pro, v21H2. I think I have the App Installer installed on my PC. But, when I clicked on your link to the App Store and then clicked on the "Get in Store app" button, I get the attached message. Something has obviously gone bonkers on my PC, but I don't know what to do to fix it. I have downloaded several apps from the App Store in the past with no problems. This is the first problem like this I've had on my PC. Everything else seems to be running smoothly.

Thanks for your help!

Screenshot-000530.png

Might be worth trying to search for the App Installer app in the Microsoft Store app. It will tell you if it's installed or not.

On 11/14/2022 at 1:55 AM, WCHettel said:

Windows 10 Pro, v21H2. I think I have the App Installer installed on my PC.

Are you currently running Win 10 Pro v19041 or later, if not check using WinVer and if not update to the latest version?

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 11/12/2022 at 1:34 PM, ronnyb said:

Nah… it was on point. Useless complaining and comparing don’t add any value. He’s happy with GIMP, he can keep using it. Otherwise add some detail and see if the community can you help figure it out.

Ronny oh Ronny..... That is the point bud.

If an open-source free application can create software that does not have a bunch of bugs, then so can Serif. Same deal with Blender that application is also rock solid.

Let me further elaborate the point if you don’t grasp it.

Example: Adobe Premiere Pro, I loved the application, but Adobe always blamed the PC or hardware and user for the reason the application crashed like our current economy. I jumped ship to DaVinci and happy I did far less headaches and errors.

No matter how much I like an application if it is full of annoying bugs that the company does not take the time to fully test before people pay for it… Then shame on them! You don’t sell an application and make the user a beta tester. Adobe is king for this and why I no longer use them.

Get the point now Ronny?  

My only hope is Serif will see this and not become another Adobe.

Here's a fix that doesn't require the Registry to be edited.  I tried posting this in the YouTube comments, but it wasn't approved.  I'm uncertain whether this will update automatically, but I'm hopeful it will, otherwise you'll need to do this for every update.

For those with *installation issues*. On Windows(7-Zip is needed for this workaround): Download Msix file + right click + Choose "7-Zip" + Extract to. Next, Open the folder + App + "Designer.exe" (Do the same for Publisher and Photo afterwards. This will allow you to install the software and import your previous preferences.

Next we need to add these to the program folder. * C:Program Files\Affinity * and place the unzipped folder within Once you've installed and imported your preferences, you can then uninstall the older versions.  

But to *automatically open these files*, you'll need to do the following. Right click on of the files + Open with + Choose Another App + Turn on "Always use this App to open" + More Apps + navigated and select the "Designer.exe" or equivalent file. You need to have placed the extracted folder within the affinity programs folder for this work upon startup.

***While I love the updates to this software, I've had quite a few crashes on my machines.  One machines uses this method for installation while the other doesn't, so I would like to see stability fixes in future versions.***

13 minutes ago, TPVPRO said:

If an open-source free application can create software that does not have a bunch of bugs, then so can Serif. Same deal with Blender that application is also rock solid.

GIMP currently has 3,661 open bugs and issues. Blender has 4,172 open tasks. If you can't see them with your daily workflow it doesn't mean the application is "rock solid" for everyone. You're just lucky.

17 minutes ago, TPVPRO said:

You don’t sell an application and make the user a beta tester.

But you do. I don't know if you've worked in a software development environment, or seen how it's done. QA testers are human, they will never be able to create a test suite that checks everything in the software, or be able to predict all the users' actions. They have to manage deadlines, worker shortage and sickness, budget constraints and everything that comes with working in a commercial company.

Every Big Business™ software more complicated than "Hello, World!" will have bugs. That's an unfortunate fact of software development, which is often compared to making sausages: it's disgusting and messy.

And before anyone attacks me with the usual "don't make excuses for Serif", I've nothing to defend here - I think Affinity Photo v2 is poorly made, and the decision-makers should have focused on making it "rock solid" instead. I'm collecting a lot of bugs from the day I purchased v2 and will submit them. Hopefully it will be improved.

40 minutes ago, TPVPRO said:

Ronny oh Ronny..... That is the point bud.

Let me further elaborate the point if you don’t grasp it.

Example: Adobe Premiere Pro, I loved the application, but Adobe always blamed the PC or hardware and user for the reason the application crashed like our current economy. I jumped ship to DaVinci and happy I did far less headaches and errors.

No matter how much I like an application if it is full of annoying bugs that the company does not take the time to fully test before people pay for it… Then shame on them! You don’t sell an application and make the user a beta tester. Adobe is king for this and why I no longer use them.

Get the point now Ronny?  

My only hope is Serif will see this and not become another Adobe.

Open source software development is a different process with a larger pool of devs tracking down and fixing bugs, without any of the financial pressures of a small company competing with gorillas and open-source. In any case, there are always bugs and that's what the x.1+  releases are for. Furthermore, Serif provide a free 30 day trial which doesn't replace v1, no risk. And the piece of buggy Premiere software you walked away from is used by millions to get work done everyday and earn a living. Bugs are not the end of the world. So try the software and if it works great, if it doesn't great you still have v1, and if you wanna contribute to making the app better, then submit bug reports. But my point stands: Useless complaining without specifics are just that —useless to both complainer and community.

Get the point now TPVPRO?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

17 minutes ago, Shahar Klinger said:

GIMP currently has 3,661 open bugs and issues. Blender has 4,172 open tasks. If you can't see them with your daily workflow it doesn't mean the application is "rock solid" for everyone. You're just lucky.

Small bugs that is normal but an application not installing and just disappearing while in use is not a good look. This was across 3 PC's when I tested it.  Or I love the one with V1 after the H22 update if you select text and hit a letter like I to quickly jump to a font it just says ✌️

I have never used Blender or Gimp and the application does not install or randomly disappear with a light load. Sure when the PC is under heavy use with big files that is something you have to deal with when resources are low.

Am I lucky or is the other pogroms just more polished.  I have 4 PC’s to test it on.

Maybe we need more beta testers give me a stab at it next time.

6 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Open source software development is a different process with a larger pool of devs tracking down and fixing bugs, without any of the financial pressures of a small company competing with gorillas and open-source. In any case, there are always bugs and that's what the x.1+  releases are for. Furthermore, Serif provide a free 30 day trial which doesn't replace v1, no risk. And the piece of buggy Premiere software you walked away from is used by millions to get work done everyday and earn a living. Bugs are not the end of the world. So try the software and if it works great, if it doesn't great you still have v1, and if you wanna contribute to making the app better, then submit bug reports. But my point stands: Useless complaining without specifics are just that —useless to both complainer and community.

Get the point now TPVPRO?

Oh, believe me I am not the only career video producer to leave Premiere Pro. I have use Premiere Pro since 1999. So, you can say I have been in the game for quite a while.

I have no problem reporting bugs but it takes a good bit of time like wasting it talking to you. If Serif wants me to spend a whole day beta testing and reporting bugs rather than getting work done there needs to be some reward for me spending a day reporting a bugs. I already had to clean install Win 11 to get V2 to work.

4 minutes ago, TPVPRO said:

I have no problem reporting bugs but it takes a good bit of time like wasting it talking to you.

Exactly my point. Just submit the bugs and quit complaining. At least if you submit the bugs they might get resolved. Complaining does nothing and is a waste of everyone's time. Glad we agree. Now back to work.

4 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Exactly my point. Just submit the bugs and quit complaining. At least if you submit the bugs they might get resolved. Complaining does nothing and is a waste of everyone's time. Glad we agree. Now back to work.

Get back to work the guys says with 2.3k posts...  I need your supervisors E-mail. 🤣✌️

12 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Exactly my point. Just submit the bugs and quit complaining.

[...]

Complaining does nothing and is a waste of everyone's time.

Well those words of "wisdom" didn't age well - did they, Ronny Boy?

The complaining has directly resulted in Serif changing tack and agreeing to offer up a standard install option.

Keith Reeder

2 minutes ago, TPVPRO said:

Get back to work the guys says with 2.3k posts...  I need your supervisors E-mail. 🤣✌️

I don't have a supervisor. I work for myself. It's one of the rewards of being responsible for oneself and not a victim / complainer. Doing something constructive is always best.

3 minutes ago, Keith Reeder said:

Well those words of "wisdom" didn't age well - did they, Ronny Boy?

The "complaining" has directly resulted in Serif changing tack and agreeing to offer up a standard install option.

Glad to see the pitchforks and torches worked... I'm a sure simple submission of objective reports would have done the trick without the drama...

5 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Glad to see the pitchforks and torches worked... I'm a sure simple submission of objective reports would have done the trick without the drama...

You've been sure about a lot of things you just got plain wrong, Ronny - keep up the good work.

Keith Reeder

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have stumbled upon the same issue with the .msix packages not recognised in my Win10 OS (btw I did comply with the specs).

For some reason, I could not even install App Installer from the Microsoft Store. Eventually this is how I managed to install the Affinity packages:

- open Powershell as Administrator

- type the following: ADD-AppxPackage -Path <filepath>

- substitute <filepath> with the full path to your installation file (e.g. "C:\Username\Downloads\affinity-photo-2.0.0.0.msix")

Voila. Hope it helps!

Cheers.
S.

9 hours ago, steogen said:

Hi, I have stumbled upon the same issue with the .msix packages not recognised in my Win10 OS (btw I did comply with the specs).

For some reason, I could not even install App Installer from the Microsoft Store. Eventually this is how I managed to install the Affinity packages:

- open Powershell as Administrator

- type the following: ADD-AppxPackage -Path <filepath>

- substitute <filepath> with the full path to your installation file (e.g. "C:\Username\Downloads\affinity-photo-2.0.0.0.msix")

Voila. Hope it helps!

Cheers.
S.

I also found the solution to my problem which seemed to be identical to yours. My solution was to update my PC to Windows 11. Apparently, something in my Win 10 config had broken. After the update to Win 11 the msix files installed easily. I have about 3 weeks left in the trial period.