You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Crop to Selection

Would love to see Crop to Selection (i.e. whatever is surrounded by the marquee tool) added in a future update. Was very disappointed to hear it did not make it into the V2 release. I'm speaking primarily about Photo as that's the one I need it for, but I assume others would get benefit in the other apps too.

Please note this is an entirely separate discussion to the one regarding V1. There's an entirely separate forum for V2 so I'm assuming feedback related to V1 isn't applicable to V2 and thus this thread is needed.

Well +1 from me.

One would think after 5 years they could have figured this out. Considering that I can't find another photo app without a crop to selection feature, I'm surprised they don't support this simple and common workflow. I gave V1 a pass on missing some of the basic tools, but that won't fly with V2 so I won't be purchasing future products from Affinity until they show signs that they can get their act together.

2 hours ago, Oasin said:

+1 But clearly they don't pay any attention to feature requests, any post of this kind may be a waste of time.

And there are 8-year-old-still-unsolved ones ;)

Some of those are complicated though like Auto Trace for Designer. I'll continue to give them a pass on those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi - thanks for this feedback. The 2.1 beta has just begun which has a number of crop tool improvements, including initialising with a crop to min fit on your current pixel selection. More details in the post below. It would be great if you wanted to try it out in the beta and let us know what you think - you can sign up to the beta program here.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 6 months later...