You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't install MSIX - Please add traditional installers

"Windows can't open this type of file (.msix)"

Please add a traditional installer.

It's probably to do with being in a corporate environment. I have admin access to install software, but it seems whatever is needed to run MSIX is not included on any of the computers.

Unless you want to block people from using it in corporate environments, you might want to provide an alternative.

I did read somethings about it maybe being associated with the Windows Store. That is not included in our version of windows and never will be.

1 minute ago, garrettm30 said:

Probably a dumb question from a Mac guy: is your version of Windows at least Windows 10, May 2020 release or later?

If it checks that box, then I'm sure someone who actually knows Windows will be along with better suggestions.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809.

As I read it the version should be recent enough.

1 minute ago, garrettm30 said:

Probably a dumb question from a Mac guy: is your version of Windows at least Windows 10, May 2020 release or later?

If it checks that box, then I'm sure someone who actually knows Windows will be along with better suggestions.

One needs the AppX installer support (which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and perhaps other places), and one needs to have  its

service running. It seems some users haven't had the support package, and some have the package but have the service disabled.

I don't understand enough to provide further details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, MattyIsHere said:

Windows folks, please correct me if I'm wrong, but version 1809 was released in 2018. The minimum requirements state version 2004 (released in May 2020) or later. I have no idea if you can still get it to work, but it does seem like your version of Windows is below the minimum.

Mac folks hear your pain: many of us weren't ready or able to upgrade to the minimum mac system either. I am, but my boss was not, so I feared I couldn't use it. Lucky me: his computer died and he had to get a new one.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

One needs the AppX installer support (which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and perhaps other places), and one needs to have  its

service running. It seems some users haven't had the support package, and some have the package but have the service disabled.

I don't understand enough to provide further details.

Our enterprise edition doesn't have Microsoft Store.

2 minutes ago, MattyIsHere said:

1809 is probably not new enough. The basic requirement is for level 19041.

1809 is older than that, and is now out of support by Microsoft, if what I've read is correct. I think you would need at least LTSC 2021.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

1809 is probably not new enough. The basic requirement is for level 19041.

1809 is older than that, and is now out of support by Microsoft, if what I've read is correct. I think you would need at least LTSC 2021.

So... It's impossible for anyone using our company computers to use this software now? Our company is huge and has offices all around the world. We don't get such upgrades often.

9 minutes ago, MattyIsHere said:

So... It's impossible for anyone using our company computers to use this software now? Our company is huge and has offices all around the world. We don't get such upgrades often.

My guess (but it is purely a guess), is that it won't be possible. I do hope your company is upgrading all those computers, though, as they're out of support from Microsoft at this point, too (from what I've read).

Someone from Serif will probably have more information; they seem to be a bit busy today for some reason :) 

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

My guess (but it is purely a guess), is that it won't be possible. I do hope your company is upgrading all those computers, though, as they're out of support from Microsoft at this point, too (from what I've read).

Someone from Serif will probably have more information; they seem to be a bit busy today for some reason :) 

17763.3532 is the version running on all our machines internationally.

They're known for being slow. All such upgrades are handled by our parent company. I personally have access for local administration to install software on individual user PC's, but no control over machine versions.

We work with systems that are peoples lives literally depend on. Since life and death is on the line, at an international scale. All upgrades and such are tested insanely before any changes are made to the standard operating environment.

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

as they're out of support from Microsoft at this point, too (from what I've read).

Just referring to this chart at Wikipedia, it appears the LTSC editions are still maintained by Microsoft, even as home (et al) editions no longer are.

Not that that helps in this case, as Serif has chosen to rely on technology that requires newer versions.

3 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Just referring to this chart at Wikipedia, it appears the LTSC editions are still maintained by Microsoft, even as home (et al) editions no longer are.

The chart I saw at Microsoft said that LTSC release dropped support in March 2021 or 2022, if I remember correctly.

-- Walt
PC:

For an unknown reason was the .msix file not recognized(even no icon) by my up to date win 10.
I found this solution: https://www.advancedinstaller.com/msix-troubleshooter.html
Download this little ap(https://www.advancedinstaller.com/tools/MSIXTroubleshooter.zip), select the .msix an click on 'start install'.

1 hour ago, mrtvybrouk said:

Same issue on my Win7... Unopenable msix file, the MSIXTroubleshooter suggested above also not working. 

Windows 7 is no longer supported. At least Windows 10 (20H1) is required.

I admit the information on this is not communicated prominently enough.
You can find it under the technical details.

Contact affinityorders@serif.com to request a refund.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I have currently win 10 pro - 21H2
But the Installers are not recognized.
Like I said before, I used this workaround: https://www.advancedinstaller.com/msix-troubleshooter.html
But I have no idea why these installers don't work as they should.
EDIT:
Now I recall removing some bloatware from win 10 after the initial installation, probably a little bit too much ....

MSIX.png

I also cannot seem to be able to install the package despite having the latest Windows 10 version (Windows 10 x64 Professional  V10.00  Build 19044 )  , the App installer available and my Windows Update enabled.

Please, I love your software (Affinity Photo) but I dont need to be a software enginerr mucking around in the Registry to be able to run photography software.

Please, Please, please, create a traditional installer as if now I am unable to run software (Affinity Photo V2) that i have paid for and was looking forward to using  the software

laz

Please, do not suggest 'solutions' from the other thread, not every solution works in every environment and I have already tried those with nil success (like the on changin a value in Registry, using the MSIX Trouble shooter, etc

SOLVED BY INSTALLING UPDATED CV LIB PACKAGE - SEE OTHER THREAD

Edited by killzen
SOLUTION FOUND

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

Please look at the thread on 'fixing the MSIX issue.

I found the solution (at least to my issue) by  using the msix troubleshooter which let me know that I did not have the updated VC LIB package installed. Once I updated  the LIB package, the installation went without any problems

lazvc.JPG.6e76d564bb85726967ac8c7243109310.JPG

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:56 PM, MattyIsHere said:

That version is really ancient. So much changed since then.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity