You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No rewards for being an existing user...

OT. Just as an aside, I would recommend buying the software directly from Serif vs Apple. It's just easier not having to deal with a 3rd party to install or mediate your software purchases. That has been my experience.

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

Really, I've bought into Affinity products as they released from the start. Given their frequent deals, over the years I've been more than ready to upgrade at cost. Before buying the whole new suite, I perused the individual product costs: Any one iPadOS product...$12 bucks. Twelve bucks!! How can anyone complain? Still, adding them up, the $99 for the six products (Individual. $40 x 3 for Mac, $12 x 3 for iPadOS) was a no-brainer!

It's going to take me a while to peruse the v2 options, but judging from my first hour of use - holy cow, what a fine product (AD iPad).

1 hour ago, ajharok said:
21 minutes ago, Lizatar said:

I can't imagine complaining about software that was originally offered at a fraction of a fraction of it's competitors price, especially with the trend of subscription models.

Again, what exactly is the competitor? Adobe? Seriously?

I literally switched over from photoshop because I thought affinity offered descent value. Asking me to buy a product several times over without offering any sort of upgrade path in between is the opposite of good value. Really poor decision from the marketing team and at least I will be looking elsewhere again. Incredibly disappointed to see this really from a company I used to respect.

I just wanted to drop a comment here. I used Designer v1 when it was first shown to the public and decided to buy it for the full price. Then, after making some money with it, I bought Photo. I played with them a lot, and soon I earned enough money to buy myself an iPad, and then I decided to buy both apps for iPad as well, still making money with the software. Now I already made so much, I happily bought V2, especially since it's pay once - get all offer. It's crazy. Also, even full price is still half the price for CorelDRAW just update for this year so, what more can I say? You want it? Buy it, and if you don't have money for it - earn it. If you can't earn it - you won't get it. Simple as that. And for all those who aren't happy with what you're getting for the price - remember how many more things did we got with V1, for not a cent more..

Does Publisher in V2 still have wonky character and paragraph formatting that kinda-sorta works, when you wiggle your fingers and turn around a few times?

Maybe it'll be fixed by version 3? InDesign had it nailed in a much more straight forward way many, many years ago.

I want to upgrade, but I also know all the minor hassles will annoy the heck out of me, once they become apparent.

19 minutes ago, Goldhorn said:

I literally switched over from photoshop because I thought affinity offered descent value. Asking me to buy a product several times over without offering any sort of upgrade path in between is the opposite of good value. Really poor decision from the marketing team and at least I will be looking elsewhere again. Incredibly disappointed to see this really from a company I used to respect.

Your first post on this forum and this is what come out with... Wow !

You sound more like someone from the "dark side" than a respectful user. 🤪

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

17 minutes ago, mrqasq said:

I just wanted to drop a comment here. I used Designer v1 when it was first shown to the public and decided to buy it for the full price. Then, after making some money with it, I bought Photo. I played with them a lot, and soon I earned enough money to buy myself an iPad, and then I decided to buy both apps for iPad as well, still making money with the software. Now I already made so much, I happily bought V2, especially since it's pay once - get all offer. It's crazy. Also, even full price is still half the price for CorelDRAW just update for this year so, what more can I say? You want it? Buy it, and if you don't have money for it - earn it. If you can't earn it - you won't get it. Simple as that. And for all those who aren't happy with what you're getting for the price - remember how many more things did we got with V1, for not a cent more..

That’s great you’ve been making money of the apps. Good for you. Hopefully for the company (Serif) it will also be worth alienating part of their customer base by going this route and hopefully you still be there and haven’t moved on to something else when you have to pay the higher and higher upgrade fees over the years to make up for us that went elsewhere. Because that’s what will happen when you treat your existing customers that helped popularize the apps this way. Anyway each to their own. Luckily for me there are alternatives I’d rather be putting my money towards now. 

4 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Your first post on this forum and this is what come out with... Wow !

You sound more like someone from the "dark side" than a respectful user. 🤪

It’s hardly surprising that this was my first post. Why would I be posting on this forum if it wasn’t because of I was having an issue with something? But anyway this will also be my last post here as I’ve already expressed my frustration now. You are of course allowed to disagree completely and embrace the marketing teams decisions here with open arms. You have a nice day now.  

2 hours ago, sixtdb said:

I have been a professional software user for well over 30 years. In that time I’ve bought 3 houses, 8 cars, numerous changes of clothing, 20+ computers, 13 mobile phones and a considerable amount of software. None of the above came with a discount because I’d bought one before. I don’t NEED V2 but have bought it to continue support for the non subscription model that too many other, not named, software providers have taken on. Sometimes you have to stand back for a minute and realise what is good value for money. The 4th house wasn’t - so I didn’t buy it. 

I would call this The Closing Argument!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• Staff

@MacEdh

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums :) 

15 minutes ago, MacEdh said:

I understand but I bought my license only 3 months ago, and now I will have to pay almost the same amount for V2?

Sorry you feel so disappointed. Not sure what we can do but the small Customer Service team are overwhelmed a bit at the moment, but if you can wait for a reply, perhaps you would like to contact AffinityOrders@serif.com with your V1 order number and see what they say. Perhaps nothing, I'm not sure

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

33 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

...Customer Service team are overwhelmed a bit at the moment...

Why is that so ?  😁

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

2 hours ago, 8bit said:

Does Publisher in V2 still have wonky character and paragraph formatting that kinda-sorta works, when you wiggle your fingers and turn around a few times?

I am not familiar with any particular wonkiness regarding character and paragraph formatting. Do you care to elaborate? Maybe we could help, or at least confirm whether something does or does not work.

I honestly do not see the issue being treated as a new user or having to pay the same price as anyone else for v2. Its a literal steal compared to other subscription models like Adobe where after just 2+ months you'd already be paying more than Affinity Suite. On top of that you still will never have the enjoyment of perpetually owning the Adobe products no matter how many years go by on top of the constant payments. Its not like you need v2 right now anyways and can wait for bug fixes and additional features which I am sure the 40% discount would come around in the future.

With all that said the moment the website refreshed for v2 launch I bought the whole suite no questions asked. Been an Affinity user for a good 3+ years.

Well, 'pon my soul, I seem to have prompted a dialogue here. Many points have been raised here, quite a lot of them nothing to do with my own original point. So, for clarity, and to enable me to escape from under a pile of many skewed interpretations of my own view:

Running an ad agency in 1985, I introduced a thing called Aldus Pagemaker. Then I moved on to Quark Express. Then I moved on to InDesign. Then I discovered Affinity. Like I said in my original post, I told everybody about it, told them that it was the best thing since sliced bread and plastic daffodils, and got several to actually use it. Funnily enough, I like it because of the way it works. It's affordability is a bonus.  I wasn't complaining about the price. I was disappointed that Serif didn't seem to value their V1 user base sufficient to offer us a modest discount. Offering a discount to everyone is, in real terms, a discount from a price they aren't actually charging. And to say it's a discount from a price we're not charging yet is disingenuous. Better to be honest and say, we'll put the price up unless you buy it now. I have bought plenty of software that afforded - and still does - genuinely discounted upgrades to existing users (that's a good way to you build user loyalty/goodwill/positive PR). V1 was stunningly good value. I even bought Designer, though I have no idea how to use it, and may never ever have a need for it (there's loyalty for you). I don't think Affinity V2 is expensive, or not good value. But I'm currently having trouble figuring how my paying £90 for an upgrade (more, I think, than I paid for the whole shebang first time round), is best value for me. I'm sure the developer team are very aware of how much great work they've done. I want our moderator to be able to afford to eat. But to simple-minded users like me, new features like Linked File Layer Visibility Override aren't yet sufficently compelling.  But, if there was a built-in scanner interface....

23 hours ago, debraspicher said:

In the olden days, we would not have received 7-8 years of updates for any piece of software. Adobe certainly would not have given it another thought. We've been spoiled imo, but to each their own.

In the old day, software updates were vastly more significant. This looks like a point release, but for the increase in OS version requirements on Mac...

6 minutes ago, deeds said:

In the old day, software updates were vastly more significant. This looks like a point release, but for the increase in OS version requirements on Mac...

Ha, no. Adobe always released anemic changes. Illustrator in particular felt like a sad dinosaur when I dropped it and the updates they did release were not enough to make me think it would ever change.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

3 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Ha, no. Adobe always released anemic changes. Illustration in particular felt like a sad dinosaur when I dropped it and the updates they did release were not enough to make me think it would ever change.

I think you're too young to remember the old days.

I'm talking about the 90's. 

When software was expensive, but worth it because we'd not seen anything like it before.

14 minutes ago, deeds said:

I think you're too young to remember the old days.

I'm talking about the 90's. 

When software was expensive, but worth it because we'd not seen anything like it before.

People were more tolerant of things being broken and having to wait forever for a patch as well (if lucky), which was common, but that's not a period I wish to return to.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR