You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No rewards for being an existing user...

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have to eat.

Same with your customers, unfortunately.

I already wrote it a couple of times, you raised your prices by 60% from the original pricing for the Affinity apps. Just saying.

Not saying that these apps are expensive by any stretch, it's just that they're not as inexpensive as they once were. FWIW. Power users probably spend it without any further thought.

3 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

That said, a lot of companies do offer upgrade prices.

Even Adobe offers upgrade prices for Photoshop Elements.

Also, I'm not upset. I couldn't be more relaxed. That doesn't stop me though from making up my mind.

You get a upgrade price. 40% off the new price. Simple. Old price of Affinity was not sustainable. Everyone that works in this field knows that. It was a way to penetrate into the market. Prices go up. 

5 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

I already wrote it a couple of times, you raised your prices by 60% from the original pricing for the Affinity apps. Just saying.

Not saying that these apps are expensive by any stretch, it's just that they're not as inexpensive as they once were. FWIW. Power users probably spend it without any further thought.

If the price is not right, you don't use it for pro work then u can use Inkspace. 80€ for a "pro" vector app and use it for couple of years is like free. For 2 years it's around 4 € per month. 

6 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Even Adobe offers upgrade prices for Photoshop Elements.

Elements costs £86 to purchase. The upgrade is £70.

Affinity Photo is currently £36. Even at full price it's still only £60

The entire Affinity V2 suite currently costs £89.99.

There is no InDesign Elements or Illustrator Elements.

Just now, Jimo said:

Elements costs £86 to purchase. The upgrade is £70.

Affinity Photo is currently £36. Even at full price it's still only £60

The entire Affinity V2 suite currently costs £89.99.

That isn't the price I pay in Germany, unfortunately. In Germany, I pay 49 € for the upgrade, and 85 € full price. PS Elements 2022 cost me 50 €, I think, not upgrade. Admittedly, also on sale.

1 hour ago, chakko007 said:

Wrong. They did sales. They didn't drop the prices. The prices actually always went up. Originally, the Affinity apps cost 49,99 €, then 54,99 €, then 64,99 €, and now 84,99 €.

Again, though, we're straying from the topic here. The question was: "Why is there no rreward for existing customers?".

Hahaha, I’m a bad person for using the wrong word. Take a chill pill :P

21 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

Nothing is as cheap as they were......Inflation for most European countries is way over 10% now...

15 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

No. That's no upgrade price. That's the price for any existing or new customer. An upgrade price is a price to upgrade the software. Not a discounted price everyone pays for a short period of time.

And where is the problem? Everyone gets a upgrade price. You can look at it as a upgrade price, new users look at it as a promo price.

17 minutes ago, chakko007 said:

No. That's no upgrade price. That's the price for any existing or new customer. An upgrade price is a price to upgrade the software. Not a discounted price everyone pays for a short period of time.

So you're annoyed everyone gets the lower price, not just existing users? Why does that matter?

Even at full price, it's still cheaper than almost anything else out there.

Compare to Quark Express: Currently £559 for a perpetual license, which gets you updates for ONE year. If you want to upgrade (and you don't have to), you pay an extra £299 for another year.

Basically, Serif are not offering an upgrade discount becasue it is ALREADY cheaper than anything else out there, upgrade or otherwise. The dirt-cheap price to begin with is the reward.

1 hour ago, Artsketch said:

Not to get nearly the same thing that I already own with new a UI for that price.

If that's what you think, just don't buy it! (But if you actually look at v2 I'm sure you'll see that there are a lot of new features!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Up to 9 years ago when Adobe introduced subscriptions, I would spend eur600 every 18 months upgrading the Creative Suite. Now Serif are offering a similar deal for 120! I don't understand why anyone could complain. App store policies mean that everybody gets the same great deal. Why resent other people's good luck? BTW, Designer 2 is a game changer, plugging most of the gaps that prevented it from being a full replacement for Illustrator.

38 minutes ago, Jimo said:

So you're annoyed everyone gets the lower price, not just existing users? Why does that matter?

I think it always matters to keep your existing customers happy.

I don't know how it is where you come from, but, here, the telecommunications operators always aim for new customers, by "faking" a price of 9,95 € for the first 6 months, and then you pay 39,99 € after that, which is written in tiny font below the price for the first 6 months. ;) That's the kind of behavior from companies who couldn't care less about their existing customers, but always try to lure new customers into their system.

Not that I think Serif does the same here. It's just... well... that a (perpetual) upgrade price would be a nice gesture for those who own the software for a while. Many other companies do it.

I'm not annoyed about it though (dunno why you need to use such a term again). Just to make it clear another time: I'm not angry. I'm not annoyed. I argue in a reasonable, and friendly manner in my eyes. There's no reason to implicate that I'm angry, annoyed, or whatever nice term you have available for people who don't conform to the way you are perceiving things. I think we can all exist here with different mindsets and opinions, and no one has to be sidelined by people who think they have to defend "their" company (for whatever reason).

41 minutes ago, ajharok said:

And where is the problem? Everyone gets a upgrade price. You can look at it as a upgrade price, new users look at it as a promo price.

The full price every customer pays is usually referred to as the full price, because it's not a price to upgrade the software. Let's stick with the precise terminology, and not make up things like "upgrade price" for a software you buy which you have never owned before.

Or do you also pay an "upgrade price" when you buy a new vehicle? No. You might though when you upgrade it (additional parts, extensions). Which is the whole point of the term.

10 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

If that's what you think, just don't buy it! (But if you actually look at v2 I'm sure you'll see that there are a lot of new features!)

I think that's exactly what people are missing.

Affinity is a one-time purchase. Like a car. That doesn't mean that you get feature upgrades for your whole life. It means you can use what you've bought without paying anything extra. You can always use the features of v1 which you own without any limits. You don't have to pay for it. You do not have to upgrade. It is your application.

And I think Serifs pricing policy is very fair. Others (e.g. CaptureOne, Luminar) request a full upgrade every time they've changed a button. Serif did improve their apps over time without any upgrade for the user.

Now there is a new development...Serif positioned it as a new version and provides everyone a substantial discount. I think that is totally fine and worth it.

If you are happy with v1, stay with it! If you think v2 is not worth the upgrade, than leave it. Purchase it if you think it is worth the money. And so long...stay with v1.

I've instantly purchased v2 universal license witch I think is amazing...(besides owning 4 Affinity v1 products)

If you can't afford the Affinity Suite or just not want to pay so little money for it stop whining and go with free altenatives. 

Don't write a book about what Serif should do for you and move forward.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

21 hours ago, Marcus_st said:

Affinity is a one-time purchase. Like a car.

I was just wondering if I could take my ten year old "banger" back to the dealer, and expect them to give me a brand new model for free! 😄

21 hours ago, AlainP said:

If you can't afford the Affinity Suite or just not want to pay so little money for it stop whining and go with free altenatives. 

Or just keep using v1, it won't suddenly stop working because v2 has been released!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

10 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Don't write a book about what Serif should do for you and move forward.

Oh, I think it's important that they also get feedback about things users aren't happy with.

Of course, what ultimately matters to them is people buying the software.

And, by the way, I don't whine. I'm also not annoyed or angry, or whatever whiny, angry or annoyed users throw at me.