You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 seems laggy at times

Early days I know but my first impression is that Affinity Photo V2 is very laggy…by that I mean there appears to be a delay in some operations compared to V1.10.5, such as selecting drop downs, a hesitation perhaps that is hard to quantify because it’s not every time but it’s certainly different to how V1.10.5 has been working. Have others found this?

I will need to spend more time with it I know and perhaps find a typical operation that is obvious. Only had it a couple of hours but there maybe something there I feel on this issue?

43 minutes ago, PeteMacca said:

What! Hardware Acceleration is still a thing in V2? Sad...

Of course it is... for many users it offers massive performance benefits. Taking advantage of a GPU is much better than not doing so, as long as it's not in a disadvantageous configuration.

Edited by FutureLarking

Really sorry to say this but Photo V2 does have a problem with lag & stutter.

It really is not working that well.

I have loaded a RAW CR3 40Mb file in both V1 & V2, in V1 it takes 10 to 15 secs to load, in V2 it takes 56 to over 60 secs to load.

I have turned off Hardware Acceleration on V2 and that made no difference, works better with it on in fact.

My V1 already had Hardware Acceleration enabled and I have been using it like that with no problems. Something is really wrong with V2 compared to V1 regarding the way it is handling the files on loading.

I still have the problem with delays with drop downs and one must take into account that V1 does not have any of these issues on exactly the same PC?

I don't think the hype fitted my expectations.....you should always under promise and over deliver..........but I think you may have over promised and under delivered! 

What do other users think, is this a vast improvement or more of a cosmetic overall?

Is it just me that needs to use it more to see the real benefits?

Of course the stutter and lag makes that harder!

• Staff

Hey andersp5, I appreciate that you may feel we've over promised here as you're having issues, however, during the beta process and internal testing, no such issues were reported.

We test on a plethora of hardware to try and cover as much ground as possible. 

Can you please be specific about what dropdown menus you are referring to?

Hi Chris, I appreciate it is hard to test everything and thus why it's good to get actual user feedback. My comments weren't meant to upset anyone, just my opinion, others may differ. Having said that I still love the programme and having used V1 for several years I was just disappointed that it was slower and not as radical as I envisaged, but I do appreciate all the teams efforts. So thank you.

The drop downs I was referring too are in the develop persona, the lens pre-set as an example is sometimes just laggy, there is a specific delay before any action, especially when you change or select the lens then back to the default, then back to another lens selection say for example, it's just different to V1, there is a delay but not always.

However, I am now convinced this issue is more to do with the overall lag within the programme, it stutters more than V1 ever did and thus may not be down to a specific dropdown in this case. The loading time lag is the real clue I think because it is consistent. I think if the loading issue was addressed then it could well solve this problem to. V1 is certainly doing something different to V2 when loading the initial images. I hope this is of assistance to you. 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey andersp5, I appreciate that you may feel we've over promised here as you're having issues, however, during the beta process and internal testing, no such issues were reported.

We test on a plethora of hardware to try and cover as much ground as possible. 

Can you please be specific about what dropdown menus you are referring to?

15 minutes ago, andersp5 said:

Hi Chris, I appreciate it is hard to test everything and thus why it's good to get actual user feedback. My comments weren't meant to upset anyone, just my opinion, others may differ. Having said that I still love the programme and having used V1 for several years I was just disappointed that it was slower and not as radical as I envisaged, but I do appreciate all the teams efforts. So thank you.

The drop downs I was referring too are in the develop persona, the lens pre-set as an example is sometimes just laggy, there is a specific delay before any action, especially when you change or select the lens then back to the default, then back to another lens selection say for example, it's just different to V1, there is a delay but not always.

However, I am now convinced this issue is more to do with the overall lag within the programme, it stutters more than V1 ever did and thus may not be down to a specific dropdown in this case. The loading time lag is the real clue I think because it is consistent. I think if the loading issue was addressed then it could well solve this problem to. V1 is certainly doing something different to V2 when loading the initial images. I hope this is of assistance to you. 

Yep andersp5
Well, In my case is about the content on canvas. Is just too sluggish, laggy and slow to work with

Edited by Daniel Muñoz

Hi Daniel, yes, I get the same problem but not all the time hence why I believe there is a fundamental difference in V1 to V2 in its basic operation, something is degrading performance to such an extent it’s hard to use.

As a matter of interest, how long does it take you to open say a 40mb RAW file in V2, if it’s over 15 secs then it’s not very good, compared to V1 as I have indicated to Chris. There is a problem and it’s quite a big one for users, as we are finding out but I am sure they will sort it very quickly. I just wonder how many other people are getting this issue, it can’t be us two can it?

22 hours ago, bt1138 said:

Well.  😒

Of course, you all un-checked hardware acceleration, right?

And yes, V2.0 is very sluggish. Loads files into the raw engine very slowly. I'm not using a watch, but it feels like it takes 2.0 4x longer to load a 24mp nikon NEF than 1.10.

9 hours ago, AxelN said:

Hi there, I do have the same problem as andersp5 when loading a Fuji RAW file of 35 MB. It takes 35 sec. with V2, but only 8 sec. with v1. For me this is a very strong disadvantage and makes it hard for me to use v2.

True, loading RAF or NEF files takes quite long, may be not 35 sec, but much longer than in V1...

Affinity Photo 2.0.4.1701, Affinity Photo Beta 2.1.0.1781; Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665,
Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342, Affinity Designer customer beta 1.10.5.1342;
Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342; Affinity Publisher customer beta 1.10.5.1342 + GIMP 2.10.22,  RawTherapee 5.8,  Darktable 3.2.1;

Win10Pro (v. 10.0.17763), IntelCore i7-4790-3.60GHz, ram 8GB, , ssd 256GB, Huion new 1060plus;
Monitor 2D FHD LG 1920 x 1080 px, Onboard Intel Graphics HD 4600.

Its because the RAW Engine applies a Tone Curve+Color Noise Reduction automatically as default state. I tested this now the first time, since usually I open RAW Files in Capture One and pass it to Affinity.

You can turn that feature off in the Preferences-> Assistant -> Develop Assistant, after that the loading times are similar to V1. 

Screenshot 2022-11-11 084411.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-11 084506.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-11 084308.jpg

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

Replying to Pixelcoder

I have been using V1 with this setting for importing RAW files which also applies a Tone Curve+Color Noise Reduction automatically and yes it will slow it down but using the same on both V1 & V2 there is a noticeable delay. So I don't believe that is the issue.

Also I tried loading 3 X 32mb Raw files simultaneously and it basically gave me time to make a cuppa before it had loaded the three files, there simply is not this massive delay with V1. So I am still of the opinion that there is a coding issue with V2, this delay is not only frustrating but it limits your user experience considerably, something I think the developers need to address as a matter of urgency but I am sure the good people at Serif are onto to it.

• Staff

V1 - 100mb RAF file - from cold it took 8s to open. On second run, it took 7s

V2 - 100mb RAF file - from cold it took 17s to open. On second run, it took 15s

I'll investigate. I have now logged this with the developers.

Did my more exacting testing this morning.

I loaded 3 files simultaneously RAW CR3 files 36.7mb + 36.7mb + 40mb with and without the Tone Curve and Colour Reduction turned on and Off in the develop assistant in both V1 and V2. The results as as follows:

TC & CR turned OFF = V1 took 21.65 seconds till all 3 files where loaded and shown on the task bar, however V2 took 1.3 minutes

TC & CR turned ON = V2 took 31.16 seconds till all 3 files where loaded and shown on the task bar, however V2 took 2.09 minutes

As Chris has just posted he too can see the delay and is investigating.

For info my PC Spec (not the fastest I Know)

Device name    DESKTOP-1797RQC
Processor    AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G      3.10 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Running off internal 250gb M2.2280 SSD for C drive (140Gb spare space) and internal 1000gb SSD for D data drive (780gb spare space)

Sorry forgot to add the following my PC is fully updated with all windows updates.

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎21/‎07/‎2020
OS build    19043.2251
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0