You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Payment being declined across all credit cards

Both of my credit cards and my debit card are in perfectly good standing but they're all being declined (or so your site says) in your store on both Safari and Chrome. Seems like a bug. I even did the two-step verification with a number sent to my phone. I was finally able to use Paypal to purchase. I'm in the US and tried both Safari and Chrome on Mac OS Big Sur.

I believe I had the same problem a couple years ago. My US bank SAID there was no reason it shouldn't go through, but actually it was my banks antifraud detection because of multiple purchases in England. I think I tried it the next day and it went through, but I may have just used PayPal.

• Staff

We have been unable to replicate the issue you have reported, but we do hear of this happening from time-to-time.

The quickest solution would be to try using PayPal as the payment option rather than credit/debit card but should wish to try a few things to get the payment through with your card, here's some advice that may help.

As required in Europe, our payment portal uses 3D Secure for all transactions, this is not the case in all other regions so it may be that your card cannot purchase through portals that use 3D Secure, or your bank is not yet setup to accept payments that use 3D Secure. As this is not something we have any control over, you will need to discuss this with your bank.

If you have purchased using a 3D Secure payment portal in the past and you know that it is not the above that is affecting the order, please ensure that your web browser and anti-virus software is up to date, also check that there aren't any browser plugins that may be preventing the security window appearing (The Honey extension especially has been known to cause issues) or try a different browser entirely. Finally check that your firewall is not blocking any part of the payment process.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

The issue is clearly with your payment platform. These problems which are widespread BTW judging from what I see here and on twitter simply don’t happen anywhere else. in my case this is probably the first time in 40 years that I have this happen. I’m pretty sure all cards in Europe are capable of using a payment protocol which is mandatory in the Eurozone.

I got no firewall here, latest safari verdion on a stable big sur version, no firewall, no antivirus, no plugins, nothing…

I emailed support 2 days ago and I still have not received any reply. That also does not happen to me shopping anywhere else given the nature of the problem: money gone and no product… 

• Staff
18 minutes ago, DGee said:

I don’t understand why nobody replies to our emails given the situation.

Our teams are extremely busy at the moment and trying to work through all of the email contacts (7000+) over the last 2 days. We thank you for any patience you can afford as we endeavour to answer everyone's queries as quickly as we can.

21 minutes ago, DGee said:

These problems which are widespread BTW judging from what I see here and on twitter simply don’t happen anywhere else.

Indeed, and they do not usually happen this frequently on our site either, however the last few days have been quite unprecedented with the volume of traffic both our site and payment systems have experienced, something that most sites don't usually experience day to day.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

I've had the same problem with my UK Mastercard. I checked with Mastercard and was told that the transaction was decline because the seller (Serif) had not implemented the strong user authentication required since March. I'll just have leave purchase of the new versions until this is sorted out.

@IppoIkki

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

I'm afraid your information from Mastercard is wholly wrong!  Serif has implemented the two-factor authentication method for card purchases, as required by European and British law.  I'm not sure where Mastercard gets its data from.

However, I know Serif use a payment gateway company (whose name I cannot remember) and it may be that it is the problem here.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.