You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Last year, Affinity ran a promotion that offered each app for $25 that would include "lifetime" updates. I purchased all 3 because I had been using Adobe and wasn't happy about their new subscription model.

Now, that there's a shiny, new version of the software we're being told that there will no longer be updates for version 1, which basically makes it obsolete.

If that's the case and we're not being Grandfathered in, I'm curious as to what will hold Affinity to a "new promise" to maintain updates in version 2.

Is this considered good business?

I'm not from Serif but I wasn't promised a lifetime of updates with my purchase so I believe you may be remembering this incorrectly. I believe they sold me a lifetime license, not a promise of lifetime update. i.e., I can use the license for as long as I want without paying for a subscription like the other company charges.

Here's a forum post by Serif from over two years ago:

On 3/12/2020 at 7:34 AM, MEB said:

All "minor" updates (1.8, 1.9 etc) are free until the next major upgrade (2.0, 3.0 etc) which is/are paid. We wouldn't be able to keep Serif running if we provided lifetime upgrades/updates.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I have never understood it any different from "all updates in 1.x will be free" and "upgrade to 2.x will be reduced price for 1.x users". You can stick with the 1.x apps forever, but you cannot expect that a company makes feature-updates to all major versions forever. (It does not even make sense). It would be interesting to know, though, whether known bugs will still be squished and security issues fixed in 1.x. 

Now there was no reduced price for users of 1.x, but instead everybody gets to save on the new version as of now. I have all three apps and thus getting the €120-bundle made sense and makes me pay what I would have expected from the upgrade to 2.x anyway. Also: how long have the 1.x versions been around, updating regularly with new features? This is still a great deal for great software. :)

While I appreciate the info, I purchased these apps after this was posted and I am not mistaken about what the promotion promised. It was part of the reason I purchased them. Furthermore, I've purchased all types of software, Wordpress themes and plugins and usually, there's no issue at ANY time with getting updates. This is just bad business.

They never say lifetime, as in every major version going forward until the end of time. So unless they’ve told you personally something different then perhaps improve your reading and comprehension skills.  All because you’re on the internet doesn’t mean that putting out unsubstantiated accusations of fraud will always end well.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

You know, it is stated in the forum rules that we're to be civil toward one another in order to participate in this forum. I don't know you and so don't deserve to be insulted by you. I have the right to voice my opinion and when a company makes a claim "in writing" and then decides to renege, IT'S FRAUD!

47 minutes ago, C.Davis said:

Last year, Affinity ran a promotion that offered each app for $25 that would include "lifetime" updates.

Can you please provide a copy of this full offer?
If it was via the web, you may be able to find it in archive.org.
Or do you have an email, or ? ? ?
Anything that would support your claim.

Perhaps you mis-understood the offer.
Or perhaps none of us saw what you saw.
If we could all take a look that would help.

6 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Can you please provide a copy of this full offer?
If it was via the web, you may be able to find it in archive.org.
Or do you have an email, or ? ? ?
Anything that would support your claim.

Perhaps you mis-understood the offer.
Or perhaps none of us saw what you saw.
If we could all take a look that would help.

It could be a scam offer. I see those kind of things on social media who has no relationship with Serif.
Serif has never said lifetime upgrade or sell it for $25.

1 minute ago, ashf said:

It could be a scam offer. I see those kind of things on social media who has no relationship with Serif.
Serif have never said lifetime upgrade or sell it for $25.

Yes, I also have never seen any offer like this.
So I would like to see what he actually saw (or thought he saw).

1 hour ago, C.Davis said:

Last year, Affinity ran a promotion that offered each app for $25 that would include "lifetime" updates. I purchased all 3 because I had been using Adobe and wasn't happy about their new subscription model.

Now, that there's a shiny, new version of the software we're being told that there will no longer be updates for version 1, which basically makes it obsolete.

If that's the case and we're not being Grandfathered in, I'm curious as to what will hold Affinity to a "new promise" to maintain updates in version 2.

Key word: updates

Your fee is for maintenance updates for that release. Not upgrades.

Is this considered good business?

Well no, I can't see how any software company could manage quality upgrades that go above and beyond expectations in the previous version without recouping development costs somehow. That said, I've seen the "lifetime" wording on other software pages to your point, so I know the wording exists. Clip Studio was worded this way at the point I purchased, and I laughed, but they've changed it since their new plans were announced as their new plans were already confusing. Often if you keep reading, it's specific to that version.

• Staff

@C.Davis

I am sorry that you have misunderstood our earlier statements it sounds like they weren't clear enough for you to understand our approach. If you email AffinityOrders@serif.com I'm sure we can reply/help you more directly

I am locking this thread, as although the other participants are mainly only explaining their understanding f our policy it doesn't really address your position.

Thread locked

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon