You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I'm really interested in Affinity Designer, but the one thing holding me back is that I'm not sure if it has something similar to Adobe Illustrator's "Shape Builder Tool" the one that lets you manually combine shapes together or delete parts of them, I hope there is one.

• Staff

Hi Abdou23,

Welcome to the forum.

Designer allows you to combine shapes, add shapes, subtract shapes and make a shape from the intersect of multiple shapes. I recommend downloading the trial version to see if this meets your requirements.

Regards,

Darren

• Staff

Hi Abdou23,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

As Darren said you can perform all type of boolean operations (including non-destructive), but not in a similar way to the Shape Builder Tool in Illustrator. It's more similar to the way Path Finder works. Check this video to get an idea how they work in Affinity Designer.

• Staff

Hi Abdou23

You can perform boolean operations, but not exactly the same way as that tool in Illustrator. 

Have you tried Designer's Trial? You can get it from here and check how boolean operations work for yourself. If you have any trouble just post your questions here.

You are not the first requesting it so it's always possible that it may be added to the program in a future version. Some of the features/improvements introduced were user's requests/suggestions. Meanwhile i'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

I'm going to give the trial version a go and hope for the best, but I would strongly recommend adding such feature especially if other people have been requesting it as you said, this makes a designer's workflow much easier and quicker, and will definitely help this software get the upper hand against some of the competition. 

Abdou23, you can achieve the same results with AD with two advantages: non-destructive and for less money. We think, the more people buy AD the quicker new features can be realized. ;-)

Good idea to move it to the feature requests. Would not only be useful for beginners. 

• Staff

Hi Abdou23,

Just take a look at non-destructive boolean operations. Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) with two or more shapes selected then click the boolean operation icon in the main toolbar on top. You can expand the compound shape you just created in the Layers panel to not only edit the original shapes but also change the boolean operation applied to each one individually. I've attached a short clip below.

boolean_operations.mov