You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Learning resources on Youtube for V2 - please make them listed (searchable)

Dear Serif,

Please make the Youtube tutorials for V2 listed, so that whenever I want to find what, for example, a certain image filter does, I can just type its name and look it up on Youtube. I prefer looking at your videos instead of reading the docs.

image.thumb.png.e8af4c1a7af06d34bc0cf26b2453f54d.png

However, none of the videos come up in searches, so I find (in my opinion) lower quality third party videos instead.

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know @Intuos5 - it appears as though Youtube took a short while to update for all our videos, but they are now all unlisted listed. If you find any specific videos aren't appearing in searches, please reply here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

it appears as though Youtube took a short while to update for all our videos, but they are now all unlisted.

All unlisted?

Also, what is the URL that shows all three app videos like in the screenshot in the OP? I can't seem to find anything in YT other than ones like https://www.youtube.com/c/Affinitybyserif/playlists I can get to via the AP 2 Help menu....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-RYou can find all the videos on the affinity main channel if you scroll down to the playlists (on desktop). These playlists consist of videos from their respective program channels (e.g. Photo videos should be on the Photo Youtube channel).

There used to be only the release vids per channel, now the tutorials appear as well. It does appear that the filters and adjustments playlist is still unlisted. At least, I couldn't find the split toning tutorial which was posted 4 months ago (actually tge first sample I tested 😇) , so please double check the older playlists such as this one:

James Ritson did a stellar job on them, so I don't like that the Youtube algorithm doesn't show them as first hits, even if I search for videos created this year...

3 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

You can find all the videos on the affinity main channel and scroll down to the playlists.

I do not know how to get to the affinity main channel on YT. That is why I am asking for the URL for that. Can someone please just post that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, Intuos5 said:

Thanks for posting that. I just wonder how you found it in the first place because there does not seem to be any way to get to it from the items in the Help menus of any of the V2 apps, or to get there from any of the VT pages those app-specific items link to.

Affinity Photo 

I just went to Youtube and found it there. Didn't use the V2 apps as I hadn't bought them two days ago. I also knew all the channels already, so I don't know why you seem to have had trouble finding them. One tip though, is to set the Youtube search filter to channels, usually that gets you to them (and helps to avoid the clickbait 3rd party review stuff).

While I agree they should be easier to find on YouTube, one can also follow the links published here in the forums' Tutorial section. See the 3 pinned topics at the top:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/9-tutorials-serif-and-customer-created-tutorials/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

One tip though, is to set the Youtube search filter to channels, usually that gets you to them

I don't even see any obvious way to set the YT search function to filter to channels. So for example, if I start at https://www.youtube.com how would I do that?

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I don't even see any obvious way to set the YT search function to filter to channels. So for example, if I start at https://www.youtube.com how would I do that?

You have to search first, click Filters, and then click Type > Channel

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

You have to search first, click Filters, and then click Type > Channel

Clumsy, not obvious, & practically useless if I am trying to search on something as generic as "Affinity 2.0" -- I get a zillion hits, only one of which links to the official video tutorials. I think I will stick to using the Safari bookmark I just made.

For anyone else that wants to use that it is https://www.youtube.com/@Affinitybyserif

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

The Affinity socials are all named AffinityBySerif (their twitter requires an @ in front) , their Youtube channel has received the url name at least since youtube rolled out personalised channel names.

So not particularly obvious for those of us that do not regularly use YT & perhaps a good reason for Serif to reconsider having the official videos only on YT?

Also, for the YT links built into the help topics, it would be greatly appreciated if they could remove or mute that super-annoying announcement video that plays when the link is opened.

Affinity Photo 

That's actually typical Youtube now @R C-R lots of channels have these self playing vids.

And by splitting the tutorials to the app subchannels, people can subscribe to Designer if that's all they use and enable notifications for it,  without getting spammed with Publisher vids that may not interest them. As a frequent Youtube user, I do believe they hit the mark here, but I see why you find it confusing, hence my explanation.

As a frequent Youtube user, I do believe they hit the mark here, but I see why you find it confusing, hence my explanation.

I suspect there are a lot of infrequent YT users who will find this very confusing. I really, really, really prefer the way they did the old V1 videos & hope that someday they will reconsider using only YT for this.

Affinity Photo 

I recall them using the same thing for V1 though 🤔

There used to be official V1 videos on Vimeo, with a very easy to use search function. That seems to have been removed, because all my saved bookmarks now end up on the revamped YT pages with the totally clumsy & unintuitive search function. Not happy about that.

Affinity Photo 

52 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

I peronally had trouble finding things on Vimeo instead, that's funny.

The 3 Vimeo channels dedicated to the V1 apps had a very simple, straightforward interface with a search box that did not require any filtering to use.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
15 hours ago, R C-R said:
21 hours ago, Dan C said:

it appears as though Youtube took a short while to update for all our videos, but they are now all unlisted.

All unlisted?

Apologies, I did mean 'listed' here - I'll update the post :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Did you check the V2 Photo Filter and Adjustment layers playlist Dan? Double posting it since it got burried in the discussion.

Thanks, I had missed that post, though I've checked this playlist and everything is showing as listed on my end, both the videos and playlist itself - I'll be sure to let James know though, so that he can double check and confirm :)

Please note -

Many thanks!