You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use V2 Publisher with elgato stream deck?

Hi, I used (use) publisher V1 with elgato stream deck. Now want to add V2 to stream deck. But I can't choose the Publisher2.exe as Elgato-Profile in windowsApp folder, because it's not a real .exe-File.
Therefore I can't use elgato with the new Publisher2 (Photo2 and Designer2), what is in my case not acceptable.
Any clue to solve this?

Regards, Michael.

Can you trigger shortcuts on the Streamdeck? You could register keyboard-shortcuts for the apps, if not directly, then via Autohotkey. I do that a lot with a Streamdeck-like solution. I even was able to have the shortcut either open the app, or focus it, depending on the state of the app. All of the in-app-shortcuts still work, so I don't even have to rebuild the pages with the buttons with in-app-functions. Just add new ones for new functions... 

23 minutes ago, voom said:

Can you trigger shortcuts on the Streamdeck? You could register keyboard-shortcuts for the apps, if not directly, then via Autohotkey. I do that a lot with a Streamdeck-like solution. I even was able to have the shortcut either open the app, or focus it, depending on the state of the app. All of the in-app-shortcuts still work, so I don't even have to rebuild the pages with the buttons with in-app-functions. Just add new ones for new functions... 

The problem is that you can only select exe files in a profile, so elgato automatically loads all dependent shortcuts of that profile when the program is active. You can of course load the profile manually, but that's cumbersome in my workflow, since I often switch between programs (e.g. Dorico, Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher and so on). I currently have to do this manually as you said with hotkeys.

Ok, I see. With my macrodeck solution (Touchportal), I have a similar option, it gets triggered by the name of the process (or part of the name). I set it up, so a button on the main page switches to the app-page and simultaneously starts the app (by exe, bat or whatever). When the app is running, I can use the process name to autonavigate to that page when the app gets focus. 

3 hours ago, voom said:

Ok, I see. With my macrodeck solution (Touchportal), I have a similar option, it gets triggered by the name of the process (or part of the name). I set it up, so a button on the main page switches to the app-page and simultaneously starts the app (by exe, bat or whatever). When the app is running, I can use the process name to autonavigate to that page when the app gets focus. 

Yes, thats for now the workaround. Hope Affinity will soon solve this issue.

1 hour ago, bkleeman said:

Yeah, Just tried a few work around options with no luck. I hope they release an exe version at some point.

Yes, or an exe-Version, which you can choose. I looked inside the msix-File and there ist a publisher.exe. But don't know, where it is located on the PC. So, I will expect future updates. Regards.

This may be a (also) the permissions issue, but the path to the .exe is in my case: 

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPublisher2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Publisher.exe

About this exe to be "not a real .exe", as some people claim, I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. 

While one could call the app with a compiled ahk-script (resulting in an exe-file) this probably does not help as the streamdeck needs to check if the app has focus, and the ahk-exe will not get the focus with the app. 

2 hours ago, voom said:

This may be a (also) the permissions issue, but the path to the .exe is in my case: 

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPublisher2_2.0.0.1640_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Publisher.exe

About this exe to be "not a real .exe", as some people claim, I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. 

While one could call the app with a compiled ahk-script (resulting in an exe-file) this probably does not help as the streamdeck needs to check if the app has focus, and the ahk-exe will not get the focus with the app. 

Yes, that's not the real exe. It size is about 0KB. It's in my opinion a kind of link to the real exe-File, wherever it is. You don't get access to this file, when I want to use it in elgato. It always says that I have no right although I am the admin of my computer.

19 minutes ago, Lynnie said:

Hi I have tried all of the above and still not getting it to work. Anyone got any other suggestions

In method 2 he says use "administrator". That didn't work for me. I had to use my user-name, as it is under c:\user\xxxx (xxxx is your user name). Afterwards this method worked. Maybe you have to switch on "show invisible files".

• 3 weeks later...

I got a shortcut on my stream deck super easy and doesn't require admin or going into locked files.

1. Start by clicking the Windows icon and type in "Run" open up the run program and type this in the box: "shell:AppsFolder" without the ".

2. Then find the apps and right click drag them on the desktop to make a shortcut of them.

3. I put them in a documents folder where I have other shortcuts... Basically hide it away.

And then in stream deck just find that new shortcut. Works for me. I've done the same thing but with the Xbox app which is how I remembered for this. 

Hope this helps.

17 hours ago, Aiirik said:

I got a shortcut on my stream deck super easy and doesn't require admin or going into locked files.

1. Start by clicking the Windows icon and type in "Run" open up the run program and type this in the box: "shell:AppsFolder" without the ".

2. Then find the apps and right click drag them on the desktop to make a shortcut of them.

3. I put them in a documents folder where I have other shortcuts... Basically hide it away.

And then in stream deck just find that new shortcut. Works for me. I've done the same thing but with the Xbox app which is how I remembered for this. 

Hope this helps.

I know this works, but you can only start the program. In this solution elgato does not recognize wether affinity has the focus or not. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:06 AM, Aiirik said:

Hope this helps.

BUMP, another 2 months (16 MONTHS in total) and it's another "blame it on microsoft" situation from serif but the create shortcuts from shell:AppsFolder does not work for me as Stream Deck still wants the .exe file for my affinity programs. 

29 minutes ago, dre. said:

BUMP, another 2 months (16 MONTHS in total) and it's another "blame it on microsoft" situation from serif but the create shortcuts from shell:AppsFolder does not work for me as Stream Deck still wants the .exe file for my affinity programs. 

So uninstall the V2 applications you have, and download/install using the EXE version of the installer which will make .exe files available as you need.

Or talk to StreamDeck about supporting modern Windows applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Look under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPublisher2_2.4.0.2301_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App
You should find it alphabetically. Took me a while to figure this out. If you want to find files or anything, get Everything (https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/)

That's the program that helped me find it. But don't look while you're sleepy. LOL.