You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

On 11/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

Happy to purchase now we have confirmation there will be an MSI Installer - thanks for listening to the user base.

• Staff
29 minutes ago, ChopperNova said:

Specifically, what page/site/thread/link should I monitor for the upcoming announcement/DL link?

We are still deciding how to present it, and will announce it when we know, sorry to be vague at the moment 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 11/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, ChopperNova said:

This is very good, as soon as I can install it properly I'm gonna buy all three. It's exceptional software.

There's one issue for Serif to consider: I didn't actually know V2 existed until I visited the site to see if they were even still alive. I was in the habit of starting V1 programs daily to check for updates, and it had been a long while since the last one. I understand there's a difference between updates and upgrades, but a "V2 Is Now Available!" pop-up would have been helpful, as there may be customers who don't realize V2 is out.

I got the popup with all three V1 programs, and an email.  I really don't get it why you were not notified

On 11/14/2022 at 11:38 AM, walt.farrell said:

???

Unless I've forgotten in the several months since the last V1 update, the V1 applications from the Affinity Store do not automatically update on Windows. They check for updates daily, and if you choose to install an update you are directed to the website to manually download the application, then you manually run it to install it.

The current V2 applications from the Affinity Store also perform the daily check, and if you agree to an update they download and install automatically.

Exactly.

So is it best to buy from the Windows Store or Serif directly? Will Serif offer the msi file to store purchasers?

[edit]

from the store:

** SPECIAL OFFER! Get 40% off Affinity Photo 2 and the Affinity V2 Universal Licence until December 14th **

28 minutes ago, henryg said:

So is it best to buy from the Windows Store or Serif directly? Will Serif offer the msi file to store purchasers?

[edit]

from the store:

** SPECIAL OFFER! Get 40% off Affinity Photo 2 and the Affinity V2 Universal Licence until December 14th **

If you buy direct from serif you give 100% donation to serif, otherwise a big-tech store earns fees. And I think it will be easier for serif to handle the msi-file delivery also to the direct clients because you are registered direct at serif (you are their direct customer, via the store you are a customer of ms or apple).

The special offer end date is also published here in the forum. Thanks to serif for this clear statement.

i also hate the new install routine - not because its new, but because everything microsoft touches turns sour. a new installer could have been a good thing, instead microsoft takes away all control from the user - you dont see what happens. it feels like installing a trojan horse. after installing for the first time i was scratching my head where the install went.

microsoft is just completely lost with the direction they push windows in. windows 12 will be like android, and windows 13 will be like slot machine. throw money in, use that one key you are allowed to use and be surprised what comes out of it.

I'd like to extend my thanks for the new MSI installers (when they become available). I also will now be purchasing V2.

I saw that the discount expires Dec 14th in someone's sig, but I couldn't find the official post.. Can someone point me to the official post that states the discount lasts until Dec14th? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

On 11/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

So, moving forward with new upgrades and updates, will this be the norm, or are we going to get another surprise of only-app versions?

I got a refund but will like to purchase again if I can count on this always being a Windows application, too. (I do understand that this depends on Microsoft not being so tone death as to go Apps only in the future.)

32 minutes ago, Delphi said:

So, moving forward with new upgrades and updates, will this be the norm, or are we going to get another surprise of only-app versions?

I got a refund but will like to purchase again if I can count on this always being a Windows application, too. (I do understand that this depends on Microsoft not being so tone death as to go Apps only in the future.)

Who knows but for now at least Serif have responded positively and I would expect them to continue listening to their user base - so hats off to them. I don't blame them for going/trying the app route if it increases their market share with a highly cost effective product.

What MSoft do in the future - who knows. I don't think they even do. Rumours are that Win12 is being developed for release in 2024 as a subscription service - but again only speculation from insiders. No doubt if they went this route it would be aimed at the large corps but again no one knows. Also Win11 updates will be moved onto subscription - more speculation. If that does prove to be the case then I'll stick with my Win10 and 11 rigs as they are.  

On 11/10/2022 at 5:34 AM, daglesj said:

Wow glad I saw this. Big disappointment with this route.

Not only do I have to buy it again but it installs as an app! No one wants apps on a PC, we want software that we can choose what to do with it on our systems.

I spend all my time deleting and shutting down the App infrastructure in Windows.

Corporations just love taking away any control the consumer has.

I think I'll pass.

Right now, it's the worst of both worlds. The Affinity MSIX from Serif installs as an app, but unlike apps that I purchased from the Microsoft App Store, I have been unable to use the Settings app to specify the drive on which it should be installed. Nor can I move it to my preferred drive, unlike other apps I purchased.

I also need the MSI installer package as I am not able to install/use software on drive C:. It must be possible for me to decide where I would like to install the software on my PC.

Another thing is how can I install the programs on a PC not having an internet connection? 

43 minutes ago, signingin54 said:

Right now, it's the worst of both worlds. The Affinity MSIX from Serif installs as an app, but unlike apps that I purchased from the Microsoft App Store, I have been unable to use the Settings app to specify the drive on which it should be installed. Nor can I move it to my preferred drive, unlike other apps I purchased.

Once installed you can go to windows SETTINGS - APPS, select the app and move it to another drive but you have no choice over which directory.

1 hour ago, Dangerous said:

Once installed you can go to windows SETTINGS - APPS, select the app and move it to another drive but you have no choice over which directory.

Not on my Windows 11 PC. When I tried to move Affinity Designer 2 to another drive, I got this error message:

We couldn't move Affinity Designer 2. The operation did not complete successfully... The error code is 0x80073cf6, in case you need it."