You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

• Staff
33 minutes ago, Gremnosh said:

I hope so. If the updates work the way they've done on v1 then I'll be happy.

They will 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This is very good, as soon as I can install it properly I'm gonna buy all three. It's exceptional software.

There's one issue for Serif to consider: I didn't actually know V2 existed until I visited the site to see if they were even still alive. I was in the habit of starting V1 programs daily to check for updates, and it had been a long while since the last one. I understand there's a difference between updates and upgrades, but a "V2 Is Now Available!" pop-up would have been helpful, as there may be customers who don't realize V2 is out.

Edited by ChopperNova

1 minute ago, ChopperNova said:

This is very good, as soon as I can install it properly I'm gonna buy all three. It's exceptional software.

There's one issue for Serif to consider: I didn't actually know V2 existed until I visited the site to see if they were even still alive. I was in the habit of starting V1 programs daily to check for updates, and it had been a long while since the last one. I understand there's a difference between updates and upgrades, but I would have appreciated a "V2 Is Now Available!" pop-up. There may be customers who don't realize V2 is out.

I did get both an announcement in APhoto start window and an email about v2 being out even though I'm not on the marketing list. So at least for some of us those things did happen.

Wonder why you didn't get notified.

6 minutes ago, Gremnosh said:

I did get both an announcement in APhoto start window and an email about v2 being out even though I'm not on the marketing list. So at least for some of us those things did happen.

Wonder why you didn't get notified.

Most of the time I keep everything blocked with a firewall, however I would specifically disable it before starting the V1's to check for updates. That must be the reason, so maybe it's a fairly isolated case.

I did see an email in my junk folder well after I saw the V2 was available.

5 hours ago, erchdk said:

exe-aliases not being accessible from certain 3rd party apps (Photo Mechanic and a Huion Keypad device software)

Yeap, I thought I have no problems with aliases (used in FastStone and ImageGlass) but I've just discovered that Huion Tablet driver does not let mi to create profile for AP v2. So the msi version seem to be the only way to use v2 also for me if I purchase it...

1 minute ago, Rallyz said:

Great news about the MSI installer!

Will this will mean that it can be installed on Windows 8.1, or is there some other reason that would prevent this?

Sorry the apps don’t support Windows 8.1. You need Windows 10 May 2020 (build 19041) or later. 

17 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The biggest benefit of switching to MSIX is the easier, smaller and faster in-app updates that weren’t previously available in v1. Customers wanted a better update experience from what we offered in v1, and MSIX allowed us to deliver that. Obviously as there has been no updates yet, no-one in this thread has experienced that yet. 

I have removed the MS spyware store from my system. To install, upgrade, or uninstall an "app", I have to reboot into safe mode, enable those services, rename several directories, reboot again, install/uninstall/upgrade, then reboot into safe mode again to disable the spyware, then reboot again.

By using the MS spyware store, your product now has dependencies stretching into every tiny corner of the Windows system. If one little firewall or antivirus or update service isn't running, the install (or upgrade or uninstall) will fail. It is insane that I had to troubleshoot a firewall to install a photo editor. This is like if I had to mow my lawn to change the oil in a car.

10 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

Great decision, Serif rocks! 👍

V2 purchase incoming.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:20 PM, Steel Rat said:

Because 99% of my use of APhoto is selecting images in XNView and hitting Alt 2 (the shortcut in that application for APhoto that I assigned). That doesn't work with V2 if there are spaces in either the path or filename. Photo v2 just gives me a bunch of error messages.

And the shortcuts created by dragging the icons from the start menu to the desktop aren't visible to other standard applications. The shortcut I manually created is visible, but the result when I try to pass data to it is above. For me, to use PhotoV2 in the way I've become accustomed to using every other application I have used for the last 20 years is the issue. It is not worthwhile to have to open V2 separately, then navigate to the drive>folder in question, then reselect all the files I had already selected in my image manager, then open them. It may seem trivial to some, but it isn't to me.

I'm not trying to pile on the Serif, I've enjoyed their programs. But if their soon-to-be solution doesn't let me function in the way I've outlined, it's not worth my time.

I never knew there were so many photo managers in the world until this thread.  I never heard of any of them but I downloaded and installed most of them to check them out.  Now I see the problem with the workflows for most people.

But why didn't Affinity-Serif release their own in this V2 version like ACDSEE, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom and other big programs have?  I use the first two for that and not Lightroom because it is not worth the monthly cost to me.  Or the thumbnails in Windows.

8 hours ago, ChopperNova said:

Most of the time I keep everything blocked with a firewall, however I would specifically disable it before starting the V1's to check for updates. That must be the reason, so maybe it's a fairly isolated case.

I did see an email in my junk folder well after I saw the V2 was available.

Yea, that'll do it.

1 hour ago, PaulWilliamson said:

I never knew there were so many photo managers in the world until this thread.  I never heard of any of them but I downloaded and installed most of them to check them out.  Now I see the problem with the workflows for most people.

But why didn't Affinity-Serif release their own in this V2 version like ACDSEE, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom and other big programs have?  I use the first two for that and not Lightroom because it is not worth the monthly cost to me.  Or the thumbnails in Windows.

I've been using XNView for close to 20 years now. At the time, I tried others, like ACDSee and FastStone, but XN did what I wanted it to in an easier way, for me at least.

I'd also be interested in an Affinity-based image manager.

Il y a 19 heures, Steel Rat a dit :

Thank you Mark, and the rest of the staff!

Of course, it's a good thing that the affinity staff reacted and corrected the situation...
I say thank you of course,  but to the lip service...
We have been confronted with ideas that are gradually taking hold in everyone's mind and that tend to lead people to believe that companies can make our machines into conquered lands and that they can do whatever they want with them.

2 minutes ago, Danel said:

Of course, it's a good thing that the affinity staff reacted and corrected the situation...
I say thank you of course,  but to the lip service...
We have been confronted with ideas that are gradually taking hold in everyone's mind and that tend to lead people to believe that companies can make our machines into conquered lands and that they can do whatever they want with them.

That's how MSoft have been thinking since Win8 when they woke up as to how much Apple were making from their in-house purchases after the iPad launch. Then it's become downright stupid with even the great Adobe selling PShop as an app although they do offer it as a stand-alone program albeit linked to a subscription.  

20 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Mark,

That's great news.

Thanks for the update.

Chris

21 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks, great news that Serif wants to offer a "normal" installer and listens to its customers

15 hours ago, ChopperNova said:

but a "V2 Is Now Available!" pop-up would have been helpful, as there may be customers who don't realize V2 is out.

There's an announcement in the startup panel, though I know some folks uncheck "Show this panel at startup". (And I appreciate Serif respecting that and not forcing a pop-up announcing V2 through anyway.)

3 hours ago, MattT said:

There's an announcement in the startup panel, though I know some folks uncheck "Show this panel at startup". (And I appreciate Serif respecting that and not forcing a pop-up announcing V2 through anyway.)

I always turn off startup panels in every app, lol. I didn't block emails from Affinity, because they weren't sending  me stuff daily. If they had been annoying, I would have unsubscribed. So I saw the V2 email and purchased.