You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

• Staff
2 hours ago, pixelinkmedia said:

Sorry, but there is no word from Affinity of this fact yet if you move to another drive.

Literally no problems whatsoever if you use the suggested move method allowing you to move between fixed drives

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

21 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Literally no problems whatsoever if you use the suggested move method allowing you to move between fixed drives

As there is a 'Check for Updates' in the Help menu does that mean we have to do the check manually or will we still be informed when starting as we were in Ver 1?

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Have you read my FAQ? It shows how to move.

I was not talking about after moving it on whether it can be updated after being moved. I know once its moved its moved,

If you remember, you were the one that showed me I could move it. Don't u remember?

And, I was talking about having the option to select drive (or folder) when I initially installed.
I was answering somebody else who said they were given that option.

5 hours ago, pintoamaralricardo said:

Like someone here was saying, there is "enough tyranny imposed on people in the world”, and reading the last news about the changing in Affinity politics, I’m feeling BETRAYED by you, Affinity! All that your talk, in the beginning, about Adobe and how you were different with just one time purchase, regular updates... Shame on you... Now you talk about V2! And that’s it!

Your problem was not being sincere at the beginning, now you lost my confidence. Nothing to say to you, anymore! Bye!

A little more level, please! You're not on Twitter here!

3 hours ago, richardcpack said:

How do I control what drive it goes to?  that would help!

From what I've read (have not done it myself): Start > Settings > System > Storage then Change where new content is saved

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Same here, I am annoyed by the new way of installation. This can be interesting way to deliver apps through the MS Store for unexperience users but I would not consider unexperience someone that deals with this kind of software and tools.

From my side I will go back to V1.10 that was working fine, if a new V2 appears with a clasic installation option I'll definetly try it again.

I'm having many problems with the app install, but one I'm not having is accessing the .exe via other applications. I believe this is because I used Take Ownership (reg file at the end) on my entire Windows apps folder (to get rid of some other apps). If you can't access the .exe, maybe give this a shot. This is a tool that solves almost all Windows permission issues in a click, so you should have it anyway.

Edited by kelement

The only way I could get any of the 3 Apps to run was to go the unzip route.  They run but I don't have any brushes.  I tried to go back to the default setting but it did not bring them in.  When I try to import brushes (assets.propcol) from anywhere it says 'error importing brushes'.

Any suggestion for this work around as we all wait for a different installer?

Unfortunately my other forum threads trying to get the install to work stopped getting answered.

• Staff
31 minutes ago, Keith Reeder said:

Clearly something's not right

It's new technology, and people don't like the change, as it's less flexible. Whether that makes it wrong depends on a trade-off with the benefits it also brings 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

For those who need to move the apps

On Windows 11 you can move the apps to a fixed drive is quite easy.

To do so click on Start -> Settings -> Apps -> Installed Apps. Left click on the '...'. Now you can move it to another drive.

Verschieben = Move

ApplicationFrameHost_7fjrrxz6Jt.png.287c805821255031e2df9e52f2bf12ac.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Well, against my better judgement. Installed the apps and moved them to another drive. They are working

Hoping that everything will work when updates come.

They should, but I have never been a fan of windows apps. Still ain't.

Even though Inkscape has better features, it does run a little clunky.

But hey, they have bitmaps tracing!! Hope we see that from affinity before v3

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dangerous said:

As there is a 'Check for Updates' in the Help menu does that mean we have to do the check manually or will we still be informed when starting as we were in Ver 1?

The first run each day will check for updates automatically. If you notice a patch (later in the day) you can manually check for updates, but it would have been found automatically the next day anyway.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
4 minutes ago, pixelinkmedia said:

Hoping that everything will work when updates come.

They will anyone saying otherwise is unnecessarily scaremongering 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
22 minutes ago, JimInFlorida said:

Unfortunately my other forum threads trying to get the install to work stopped getting answered.

We have a huge backlog AND it's the weekend. You should get a response from staff in a few days. If you already have, they should come back to you if you are clear in that thread that your problems aren't resolved. Working with unzipped versions of the install is unsupported 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

9 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have a huge backlog AND it's the weekend. You should get a response from staff in a few days. If you already have, they should come back to you if you are clear in that thread that your problems aren't resolved. Working with unzipped versions of the install is unsupported 

I don't want to go the unzipped route and look forward to a better fix.  My XPS-15 has up to date Windows 10 and should be very capable of running V2. 

I will make it clear in the other threads that I am still unresolved.

I am in the US in Eastern time zone, and away from the computer most of the day.  Hoping it does not turn into a long term, iterative Q and A getting to resolution.

3 minutes ago, JimInFlorida said:

I don't want to go the unzipped route and look forward to a better fix.  My XPS-15 has up to date Windows 10 and should be very capable of running V2. 

For what it’s worth, I developed (parts of) the apps on a Dell XPS 15 initially running Windows 10 then later upgraded to Windows 11, so I can absolutely confirm that v2 should work on that machine 🙂

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

For what it’s worth, I developed (parts of) the apps on a Dell XPS 15 initially running Windows 10 then later upgraded to Windows 11, so I can absolutely confirm that v2 should work on that machine 🙂

MY XPS-15 is a 9550, a few years old.  For some odd reason it does not show as having the right variation of processor to go to Win11.  I am content with W10. 

23 minutes ago, JimInFlorida said:

The only way I could get any of the 3 Apps to run was to go the unzip route.  They run but I don't have any brushes.  I tried to go back to the default setting but it did not bring them in.  When I try to import brushes (assets.propcol) from anywhere it says 'error importing brushes'.

Any suggestion for this work around as we all wait for a different installer?

This is what I did, but no guarantee it won't mess things up worse, although that's kinda hard to imagine...

First, close all your Affinity programs apps, then go to where you unzipped, and find the folder affinity-photo-2.0.0\App\Resources\Affinity%20Photo. (Yes, it actually has a %20 in it😖). It should be full of files like "assets.propcol", etc. Then find directory: C:\Users\<usernamehere>\.affinity\Common\2.0\user, (note the dot in .affinity, and it may be hidden). COPY the first, unzipped folder into the second, overwriting existing files. Next time you start a V2 program app, default stuff should be there, and they should share between programs apps.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, ChopperNova said:

This is what I did, but no guarantee it won't mess things up worse, although that's kinda hard to imagine...

It may well get you running but the software is unsupported unless you can get it installed, sorry 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
9 minutes ago, kelement said:

This tells me all I need to know. "You don't like change. It's all in your head." Requesting a refund.

That's not what I said, but you're welcome to ask for one, sorry that you think it's needed. Once installed the software is the important thing 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

29 minutes ago, JimInFlorida said:

MY XPS-15 is a 9550, a few years old.  For some odd reason it does not show as having the right variation of processor to go to Win11.  I am content with W10. 

I have the same laptop. The reason it's not Windows 11 ready is because it does not have a Trusted Platform Module, which is required for Windows 11 to function. A TPM is either a physical addon card or an eTPM implemented in firmware by later generations of processors.