You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

1 minute ago, richardcpack said:

I have installed all three on windows 10 today, none of the including the one 2 minutes ago gives me the choice of what drive to install on, all go under c:\Users\username\.affinity.

What am I missing?

II just decided to install Photo 2 and report here when I saw your reply. People are saying here that you can install anywhere. That is not the case. I too can vouch for this and if I have to jump thru hoops to change where I can install it, that's a problem, that's just one, then you have the other valid issues mentioned in this thread also.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

OK, so I've now just hit this issue. I use Blender for all of my 3D work and Photo has been my image editor for several years. V1 worked great. V2 seems to be a mystery as to how to get it to work. Maybe someone can comment on this. In Blender / Settings you are asked to browse to the EXE file to set up the path. Because of the MS App walled garden this is now not possible using the old method of following the icon properties etc. as Windows is effectively "hiding" the actual location.

image.thumb.png.640d242a9346848048b0b4f665300e3b.png

So I launch the program and use task manager to locate the program which then appears to work but Blender complains about it being unable to launch the application. I'm guessing that this is a permissions issue more than anything.

image.png.881cd1689960defb2988eafcdbd7eac8.png

Copying this path to the Run Command also fails:

image.png.182cc6bcde79548ead4adf67920aea5e.png

I can see as a stand-alone application that the MS App model will work fine. If you need to integrate it with other applications which use a regular Shell Execute call then you are going to run into this problem.

This is really disappointing and disrupts what was previously a nice workflow. Maybe there is a solution that I'm not aware of.

You need to used a .bat file. Can Blender call .bat files? Faststone & Photo Supreme can.

Batch file

start /min cmd /c affinityphoto2.exe %1

exit

1 hour ago, julienpierre said:

Because some users have heavily customised os that just got rid of all that app crap.

I am one of those cases.
My win 10 doesn't even recognize the app extension (neither did I 🙂).
Meanwhile, I think APhoto V1 is still a great software and those who choose not to purchase V2 will still be well served.

3 minutes ago, richardcpack said:

I have installed all three on windows 10 today, none of the including the one 2 minutes ago gives me the choice of what drive to install on, all go under c:\Users\username\.affinity.

What am I missing?

As far as I know, one can only MOVE the installation to another drive using the Apps section of Windows' Settings App. You cannot choose the folder during installation nor the moved folder. Only the drive.

6 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

Thanks @Dangerous that did work.

Even so, this is not what I expected to have to do and makes me question the real benefit of this decision to go down the MSIX route.

But isn't integration like that with programs from different software houses a bonus?

I'm please the batch file worked.

@Paul Mc
just type the following into the settings of Blenders Image Editor path and you are set.
AffinityPhoto2.exe
blender_t4NeQVyJto.png.1d40a95ea9452f30db429aa37e29080b.png
a nice initial finding of Jon S.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

2 minutes ago, myclay said:

@Paul Mc
just type the following into the settings of Blenders Image Editor path and you are set.
AffinityPhoto2.exe
blender_t4NeQVyJto.png.1d40a95ea9452f30db429aa37e29080b.png
a nice initial finding of Jon S.

Hey @myclay thanks. I would never have guessed that something like that would work. It is interesting that the filename is Photo.exe but this (symbolic?) link gets there too. 

I have installed the .bat file system for launching the software and it works fine with Faststone.
IHowever, I am not happy with this workaround because of the risk of future problems and also for ethical reasons: you don't treat customers this way.
I'll wait the 14 days to see if Affinity offers an exe solution, otherwise I'll ask for a refund, because effectively for my non-professional level, this version 2 doesn't bring me much other than anger.

9 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

But isn't integration like that with programs from different software houses a bonus?

In this day and age it is expected. I know of very few "creatives" in my network that don't use a slew of different packages depending on the specific requirement and a lot of those applications are able to interoperate. I'm sure in time this (bat files and link names etc) will be well known and work more transparently but for now it requires some arcane knowledge and IT skills beyond that of the normal use of the app to get your workflow back to where it was in the previous version. I'm content because it looks like I'm up and running again. Thanks again for your help.

43 minutes ago, pixelinkmedia said:

Sorry, but there is no word from Affinity of this fact yet if you move to another drive.

it's not u playing with program files, but whether I know what and especially where something is happening on my computer.

43 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

So I launch the program and use task manager to locate the program which then appears to work but Blender complains about it being unable to launch the application. I'm guessing that this is a permissions issue more than anything.

Correct. It is a permission issue and it's intentional on Microsoft's part as they wish to sandbox the Windows Store apps in a walled garden. 

Windows Apps add conditional Access Control Lists to the folders and executables that check the process security context to make sure that the process invoking the app has the correct WIN://SYSAPPID set in the security context. If you attempt to invoke the application directly, this is not set and so execute permission is denied. 

1 minute ago, Keith Reeder said:

No, you didn't. From context it was patently obvious what you meant, despite the response you got.

Huh? Perhaps to you it was "patently obvious". However, Windows Store apps operate in a conditional access control list environment. This obviously can't be "fixed" since it's intentional on Microsoft's part. I meant a fix to Affinity, not a "fix" to Windows. 

3 hours ago, pixelinkmedia said:

this is why "Moving" the app to another drive instead of SSD is a no-no for me.
I have to limit what is installed on my small SSD and I don't want to have to do these work arounds every time there is an update.

I’m not sure where you’ve got this info from, but once you move the application, it stays moved.

1 hour ago, rvst said:

Huh? Perhaps to you it was "patently obvious". However, Windows Store apps operate in a conditional access control list environment. This obviously can't be "fixed" since it's intentional on Microsoft's part. I meant a fix to Affinity, not a "fix" to Windows. 

What are you blathering on about?

You apologised for not making a point clearly. I told you you did make it clearly.

Context.

Keith Reeder