You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely disappointed that this installs as an "App" and not regular software program

6 minutes ago, signingin54 said:

Not on my Windows 11 PC. When I tried to move Affinity Designer 2 to another drive, I got this error message:

We couldn't move Affinity Designer 2. The operation did not complete successfully... The error code is 0x80073cf6, in case you need it."

Check this out, it might help you.

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-error-code-0x80073cf6-in-windows-10/#:~:text=The error code 0x80073CF6 in,existing application getting the update.

2 hours ago, signingin54 said:

Not on my Windows 11 PC. When I tried to move Affinity Designer 2 to another drive, I got this error message:

We couldn't move Affinity Designer 2. The operation did not complete successfully... The error code is 0x80073cf6, in case you need it."

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=0x80073cf6&quick=1

Keith Reeder

Our future is in the hands of big business, which uses its monopoly to submit us as they to they pleases.
It is a gentle descent into a trap . In the long run, it is likely that most software creators will impose subscriptions on customers.
The alternatives are free software, of which Linux is one of the engines.
Affinity is riding the consensual wave because of the too small Linux market; it's a pity; it would be the beginning of a dike bursting.
But one can dream... There are many people who use gimp because they have nothing else.
The low price of affinity is a serious asset.
In the meantime, let's not have too much tenderness towards our supplier, it's only a company that exists to earn money with its products and to support its employees.
It has no feelings; only interests... and that's normal.

4 minutes ago, Danel said:

Our future is in the hands of big business, which uses its monopoly to submit us as they to they pleases.
It is a gentle descent into a trap . In the long run, it is likely that most software creators will impose subscriptions on customers.
Affinity is riding the consensual wave because of the too small Linux market; it's a pity; it would be the beginning of a dike bursting.
But one can dream... There are many people who use gimp because they have nothing else.
In the meantime, let's not have too much tenderness towards our supplier, it's only a company that exists to earn money with its products and to support its employees.

Has your tinfoil hat fallen off?

🙄

Keith Reeder

9 minutes ago, Danel said:

Serif is very, very far from being a monopoly!

10 minutes ago, Danel said:

First, Linux is an OS, one that supports both free & paid apps. Second, another alternative is the 'buy once' revenue model, which Serif offers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

33 minutes ago, Danel said:

Relax. I've already asked Serif for a refund.

31 minutes ago, signingin54 said:

Relax. I've already asked Serif for a refund.

Why? Serif has already been very clear that they're providing a solution to your exact problem, and has posted fixes to your error message in the meantime.

Maybe you should read more of the thread before complaining.

Keith Reeder

Ahhh yes, GIMP. The program everyone praises, but nobody uses... 😝It's a joke, don't get your delicates in a twist.

For those unfamiliar, there's a quite excellent free program called Paint.NET. Despite the unfortunate name, it's not web-based, just a program.

⚠️!!! DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER DANGER !!!⚠️

It doesn't install as an app, so it lacks the security, functionality, telemetry, and wondrous benefits that an MSIX provides. The website is here:

https://www.getpaint.net/

They want to you to use the Windows Store, where they charge $7.99 for the convenience of not having to hunt around to find the free hidden download link. It's almost like nobody would use the Windows Store, so they gotta be tricked into it.

Here's the direct link, which itself is a .zip containing a downloader/installer which downloads/installs the program, so you gotta let it trough your firewall to install. These nonstandard, extra steps are solely for the benefit of the customer. You're welcome.

https://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

NB 1.0: This isn't really alternative to Affinity Paint, but some people could find it useful.

NB 1.1.0.5: I just installed from that link, and it works fine. But use you own judgement.

NB 2.0: (NB 2.0 is currently only available in Visual Braille. You're welcome.)

Edited by ChopperNova
Cleaned up spelling errors my wife made, added NBs

On 11/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

{looks at watch, looks at calendar, looks at watch . . . looks at Serif} 

While we're waiting, lets' try a little Occam's Razor, shall we: Which takes longer for a software company that's been in business since 1987: "Engineering" industry standard installers for software that is not only their primary source of revenue, but already works when you unzip it; or weaseling out of an agreement with Microsoft?

On 11/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience over the weekend when our offices were closed.

We've had a meeting this morning and decided to ALSO offer MSI installers to those people who would like them. I can't tell you when this will happen, as there is engineering work that will be required to allow this to happen, but we hope it won't be long.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks Mark i look forward to using it.. Do you have a timescale for release and will the trial discount price still apply and be valid when the MSI installer is released or do I have to purchase now?

I have nothing useful to add here other than a "+1", but I thought I'd share that I was excited by the announcement of V2 I got in an email today and contemplated buying the entire suite, so I went to download a trial to check it out. The .msix extension of the downloaded file immediately made me do a horror movie "oh no... oh no NO NO!" double take in real life.

Needless to say, I will hold off on that purchase. Offer it as an option for people who want it or even make it the default if you must, but please, have alternatives. There is nothing wrong with having the option to download an application as a simple self-contained .zip archive without even an installer attached to it, for that matter. I remember having to install, copy out the files of, and then uninstall the V1 applications because Microsoft's older yet equally stupid MSI scheme left ~600 MB installers around for each one hidden somewhere on your C drive.

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @Silverback_47 :)

Please see the post I have linked above regarding a timescale for this release.

I can confirm that the introductory offer will be available until December 14th, and will not be extended if the .MSI version is not available before then, my apologies.

I hope this clears things up!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I'm think I'm going to have to go on faith.

I like Affinity... a lot.  But the V2 APP was not what I wanted (not at all, ever)  so I got a refund before any talk of an MSI option surfaced.  Now I still want to support Affinity with V2... but only if there is an MSI installer.   So I'm seriously considering purchasing at least Designer on faith... but I'm not going to install the product until I see an MSI.  Please make my wishes come true.

55 minutes ago, Limezero said:

Offer it as an option for people who want it or even make it the default if you must, but please, have alternatives. There is nothing wrong with having the option to download an application as a simple self-contained .zip archive without even an installer attached to it, for that matter.

Asked and answered a hundred times by now - read the forum before posting.

Keith Reeder

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Welcome to the forums @Silverback_47 :)

Please see the post I have linked above regarding a timescale for this release.

I can confirm that the introductory offer will be available until December 14th, and will not be extended if the .MSI version is not available before then, my apologies.

I hope this clears things up!

It couldn't be clearer: a little shot of fire extinguisher to put out the fire...just a little shot. After the 14th, we'll do as we please.
God Mickey, master of the App, we bow down at your feet, but take no notice of the beggars who hinder our steps towards you, we will make them bend.

23 minutes ago, Danel said:

It couldn't be clearer: a little shot of fire extinguisher to put out the fire...just a little shot. After the 14th, we'll do as we please.
God Mickey, master of the App, we bow down at your feet, but take no notice of the beggars who hinder our steps towards you, we will make them bend.

Really? I mean Really??? It seems you wouldn't be happy if they gave it away, and delivered it personally to your door... 😲

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

39 minutes ago, Danel said:

Jeez - what's wrong with you?

🙄

Keith Reeder

2 hours ago, Danel said:

Blimey, there are some serious luddite Karens on this forum. *smh*

12 hours ago, Jenna Appleseed said:

Blimey, there are some serious luddite Karens on this forum. *smh*

🐑 Yes, of course; I'm the black sheep out of the flock, and wondering why they're all going in the same direction... towards the cliff. 😝

• Staff

I'm locking this thread from further replies as we've confirmed an MSI installer will be available shortly. Thanks all for your feedback here.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We will be providing EXE/MSI installers from the first patch onwards.

In the meantime if you need to get your Affinity Photo 2 working with a Photo DAM, then most users can get their Windows DAM to work with Affinity Photo 2 using the instructions in this post

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon